Drifter by Celsius Game Studios

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by CGSColin, Sep 27, 2011.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Wow the screenshots look great, i cant wait for Duke Nukem Forever, i mean sorry Drifter ! ;)

I vaguely remember an old Amiga game i used to play a lot, it was a bit like Elite but once you docked with a space station it became a bit like 'Ultima', eg basic top down graphics but it worked, you could move around to go to a shop and buy objects, accept missions etc

Would love it if this was something similar

Either way i'm looking forward to playing it one day, looks great from the screenshots.

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Those screenshots look very polished. Will interiors be menu based or free walking?

Drifter seems to have some promising momentum, check out the Steam Greenlight page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136694267

How am I ever going to find the time to visit 20,000 procedurally generated star systems? Drifter seems likely to make my iPod implode.
    I noticed KickStarter backers have access to a PC beta build (0.31), hopefully things work out for iOS beta too.

3. CGSColin

CGSColin Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Good thing I have a few years to go before I get to Duke Nukem Forever levels of vaporware :cool:

Not that I'm planning on taking tooo much longer to finish this thing and get it out there or anything...

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ha i'm only joking, i'm sure you cant wait to release it just like we cant wait to play it. Looking forward to it !

5. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I know you're working at a steady pace. The problem is we are used to more information from devs. Nonetheless, I've followed Drifter a bit by now and I can firmly assure that you are a dev that works as a ninja: without making any noise, but advancing at a steady pace :D I'll be here waiting for Drifter for iOS.

6. luckycharmz75

luckycharmz75 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Thanks for the screenshots. Beautiful looking game. Can't wait for its release.

7. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    You should follow him on Twitter. He has been putting out little progress updates, screenshots, etc a couple times a week at least.

8. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    Also: cat pics.

9. swimmingcub

swimmingcub Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Can't wait for this game! Don't know if this has been asked but is there a price for the ios version?

10. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    I haven't settled on a definite price point, but it will likely have a regular price between $5 and $10, but it will have a 1-week or so launch sale at a discounted price.

11. _discovery

_discovery Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Artist
    Canada
    Don't forget all the backers/preorder supporters have their own forum over on http://celsiusgs.com/forums , so if we don't post on all the forums doesn't mean people aren't happily following along! Plus twitter!

We are also going some live streaming of some of the work we are doing at the moment (working on some more final icons for the game)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were both live streamed here and here which if you watch Colin (or my own) twitter you can follow along too :)

(We are also #3 on Steam Greenlight so not long before that get's out of the way :))

12. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    That said I'm going to make sure we make a better effort at posting updates here more often. I was feeling like it might be unfairly teasing you with details about the game if you weren't able to play it but hopefully we'll be on the App Store relatively soon*.

* - I'm still not committing to a release date juuuust yet

13. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    That's perfect. I follow you through Twitter... But I'm not too "twitterish" and don't check it :p As per release date, I'm grabbing strongly to the "I'll try to release before the end of 2013" that you mentioned several months ago :D

14. Unfrozen

Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    Yes those are entertaining as well. I haven't noticed your cat on r/aww though.

15. _discovery

_discovery Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Artist
    Canada
    (just sneaking a mention that yesterday we were greenlit for Steam release).

:)

16. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Great news! I'm a bit lost when you talk about Steam and such, but I guess that when you're greenlit at Steam, the game gets released and then things go more fluent, right? Anyway, good luck with the game. I'm sure on iOS it will be much better than what Flatspace never got to deliver :D

17. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Hey CGSColin, is the iOS release still set for late 2013, or are we going into 2014? No pressure, just asking to plan my holiday gaming :D

18. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    Hey!

Sorry to have taken a couple of days to get back to you. It looks like things are moving into early 2014 now, as even if I was able to release Drifter now it would not give me much time to do any launch promotion and releasing in December is pretty risky with all these big name launches and holiday sales I'd have to compete with.

The good news is Drifter is getting better and better every day so hopefully it will be well worth the wait :)

For example, here's what the sexy new Heads-Up Display looks like on my iPad Mini:

[​IMG]
    (Click to enlarge)

19. Unfrozen

Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    It's looking great. Will it have iOS controller support?

20. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    That is indeed the plan.