Universal Duck Roll (by Mamau)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Jul 27, 2016.

1. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Sometimes it is better to leave it as it is, instead of making gold almost impossible for most players. Leave a bit a margin, make players feel good that they get gold, and make players feel even better when they "beat the game". You can think of giving them a special reward. Rat Fishing is a good example of this; it is possible there to win diamond, which you even wouldn't know about *until* you finish your first level under par :cool:

It could be an idea to make a leaderboard out of under/on/over par, so if you get 2 moves under par, you get two points, on par is worth 0 points and over par "earns" negative points. This is better then an inverted leaderboard, because when the game gets new content, an inverted leaderboard favors players who don't play the new levels. Not sure if leaderboards support negative numbers though, but an offset could help if that is the case. Or just base the leaderboard only on under par values :)

And thanks Roger to point me to the game!

2. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Oops roger that should probably be in a PM!

3. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Oh sorry about that, I was too enthusiastic, but it doesn't hurt anyone, people that don't want to see it will look past it.

4. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    #24 Tinsel, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    The posted solution was similar to my own, but I guess I made an extra move somewhere.

Now I am stuck on 2-27..any hints for gold? #

Edit: NVM I'm stupid.

5. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just did level 2-30 it was an a-Ha moment when I finnaly got it, great and clever puzzle game this is.

6. @saosijs - Good point. When we designed the game, we tried to make it as tight as possible, so instead of the standard Gold-Silver-Bronze medals we cut it down to only gold for a perfect solution. The idea was that completionists go for Gold (they don't settle for silver anyway), and non-completionists don't care if we give them a bronze medal when they complete. I'm not sure this was the correct choice, but now you know the reasoning ;)We might have to try out a middle-ground for our next game! Thanks for the input!

@ROGER-NL - Thanks alot for the solution walkthrough! Playing your own levels is a bit like reading your own sentences- you can't escape the mindset you created them with. I'm sure there are still a few levels that can be optimized in pack 3 ;)
    I'm happy to hear you enjoy the harder levels. The later part of the game hasn't been tested quite as extensively as the early part, so I'm happy to hear you like it!

7. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Loving the game. I haven't had much time to play. Can't wait to get back to it!

8. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I just have golden level pack 2 on to 3 now.

9. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Tinsel,

Can you confirm that a working solution for 2-23 is indeed possible with 2 gold coins remaining (in other words, there are 3 gold coins left at the last step just before exiting)? Like mamau, I can only complete this level in 38 moves (par is 39 moves) thus 1 under.

10. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I am coming two moves short for gold on level 3-7 can anybody confirm that this level is possible for gold.

11. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I can do level 2-23 with only one move left so I am curious too how that would be possible.

12. Honki

Honki Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Superb game

Just wanted to chime in and say that this has a very good level design with some good mechanics and a nice difficulty curve. Mamau Games, you're definitely on my radar from now on :)

13. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Yeah, this is one of the best games this year for me, it's in the same league as Love You To Bits and Perchang and Puzzlepops.

14. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Thanks, Roger-NL, for the confirmation about Level 2-23. I, too, am curious what the developer will say about Level 3-7. Is it a bug?

15. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I think they made a mistake with level 3-7, this is no problem that can happen to the best developers or I am not seeing the solution that can happen to the best gamers also ha ha.

16. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    My favorite part in the game is the blue tile that goes up, you get so many clever levels with this blue tile, just loving it.

17. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #37 y2kmp3, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Here are a few more levels that I discovered which can be solved under par:

Level 2-21: Par = 26 moves, Possible =
    moves, Coin Remaining =
    coins
    Level 2-28: Par = 59 moves, Possible =
    moves, Coin Remaining =
    coins
    Level 2-29: Par = 35 moves, Possible =
    moves, Coin Remaining =
    coins
    Level 2-31: Par = 45 moves, Possible =
    moves, Coin Remaining =
    coins

18. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    #38 saosijs, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Totally agree, very nice game mechanic!

19. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Oh, you guys disappoint me! Nobody caught this one? :D :cool:

Attached Files:

20. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    It would be nice to have at least the simple progression leaderboards:
    - levels completed
    - levels completed with gold
    It's always nice to see how popular a game is (no. of players) and see some game analytics (how many players finish a game, how many finish it perfect, etc.)