Universal DuckTales Remastered (By Disney Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Shaun Musgrave, Apr 2, 2015.

1. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I have no problem with people complaining about pricing etc... As long as they buy apps and not steal them. People who pirate software are the ones who should be shamed.

2. Rivalsan

Rivalsan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2011
    I see people making comments about the Bluetooth controller support, but most of us are still rocking on screen virtual buttons. How are the virtual controls?

3. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    They're not too bad, thanks to the two-button nature of the game. The main problems with them are that your fingers will block part of the viewing area, something the game wasn't designed around, and that certain sections on the higher difficulty setting demand precision. If you don't get on well with touch controls in general, it'll be the same here, but if you've gotten used to them like many of us have, they work well enough. I did find the dpad sometimes doesn't respond right or gets stuck, something that's happened in other WayForward iOS games, but it was pretty rare.

4. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    They're working fine for me on my iPad 2. Don't play too many games on the iPad, but it had the most free space. Anyway, I only wish I could scale the buttons a little smaller. And move them around to my taste. But not necessary.

5. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    I'll stick with the console version that has achievements and plays smoothly.

6. Rein37

Rein37 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Anyone else not able to change the button opacity? I can't move the opacity slider in the options menu.

7. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco

It was a bit finicky when i changed it; make sure you keep your finger on the button while moving.

8. Nycteris

Nycteris Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Where can I get the soundtrack?

9. russiaone

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    iTunes

There's a link in the Extras section of the game, as well.

10. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    This is a classic ..kid, is not the same value of a cheap game

11. russiaone

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    I hate to do this, but it must be said that the controls leave lots to be desired.

I know a lot of my complaints would be mitigated by a proper controller, but i enjoy using touch screen controls, especially when they are done properly.

But in the case of this title, they are absolutely not: jump button is a sham, as if you want any sort of consistency you have to press just above it, which is ridiculous. Matter of fact, but the jump and pogo buttons seem to work when they want to; i'd say about 75 percent of the time.

And why is it so damn difficult to change the opacity? That makes absolutely no sense.

Other than the MAJOR problem with the buttons (which may only be my problem, to be fair) everything else about this shines. The graphics are really vibrant and colorful. The sound is out of this world amazing. Voices and story are top notch. But the controls seriously let me down.

12. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    I'm interested to hear about gameplay, I played it originally but don't remember it clearly. A lot of people are loving this because they loved it as a kid, does it hold up gameplay wise for a person in their 30's or is it still something that a child would love. I don't care about the price but I'm not too interested in buying a simple game meant for children. My two girls are already asking me for it so I know I'll get it eventually. I was just interested in TA members perspectives first. Thanks in advance.

13. russiaone

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Game is old school difficult.

Deceptively so.

Not a lot of levels, but you'll die so much you won't notice.

That is, if you play on anything but Easy. But then, perhaps easy ain't such a breeze, either.

Controls really hamper the experience, though.

But it must be said, that even with all my gripes, i keep going back in for more, because i just GOTTA.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    The controls definitely need some fine tuning, and yes...the buttons do get stuck, but it doesn't hamper the experience a single bit. This game is pure bliss from top to bottom.

15. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    If Implosion was not coming out soon this game would be on my device right now. I loved this game as a kid. Now they just need to bring the NES Rescue Rangers game over and then my childhood Disney NES game collection would be complete.:)

16. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    As russiaone said, it's definitely not easy. It's short, but not easy. It's not tear-out-your-hair hard on normal, but a few bad spills will kick you back to the stage select screen, and the stages are around 15-20 minutes each if you rush through. Playing on Easy mode removes that risk, but it's still a decently tough game.

I actually touch on the nostalgia issue in my review, but in my opinion, a game depending solely on nostalgia wouldn't have built the cult following that this one did. There were plenty of decent licensed games on the NES. Coolpepper mentions Rescue Rangers, I'll throw in stuff like Sunsoft's Batman and Konami's Bucky O'Hare, but none of them developed the reputation that DuckTales did, even in the case of Batman which is a far more widely-known and evergreen property. That's not to say that it's clearly the best game as a result of that popularity, but it does indicate there's something more to the game than the license.

Plus, it's the creators of Shantae and Contra 4 remaking a game created by the Mega Man team. What could possibly go wrong? Except stuck buttons cuz haha WayForward are pretty bad about those, aren't they?

17. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

The mobile version actually runs really smoothly (most likely at 60 FPS) as well. I immediately noticed a difference between the smoothness of the 30 FPS gameplay video I had recorded and how the game actually played on my tablet.

18. MasterRron

MasterRron Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Economist
    Rome
    What about controls? Are they good enough for an old school gamer like that?

19. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Thanks Shaun, exactly the response I hoped to hear. Already downloading as I speak because my kids would like a quick play before bedtime. Looking forward to your review simply because I enjoy reading them, whatever the game.

Also a thank you to russiaone for the appreciated info.

20. russiaone

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Sheesh! Just beat my first boss!

When the controls work, this game is freakin' phenomenal to PLAY.