Universal DuckTales Remastered (By Disney Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Shaun Musgrave, Apr 2, 2015.

1. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Careful there. I mentionned how I would have loved for Disney to instert chievos from the Steam version (without any mention of not buying it and such) and got attacked by some people here, because I should be "grateful" for the opportunity to even play the game. And when I clarified my stance, I got accused of being "over-the-top" and "aggressive" lol.
    So tread carefully and think twice when you wanna mention these things lmfao.

2. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Whoa. There's a Steam version? If it's available for Mac as well, I may have to double dip and get that too!

3. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Yeah the game was released on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/237630/), PS3, WiiU and XBOX 360 (hopefully they bring it to Vita too).

4. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with wanting stuff like achievements in the game, but when your post literally contains nothing else and makes it look like Game Center support is the factor deciding whether you purchase a game or not, it really shouldn't come as a surprise that people call you out for that.

Good games don't need achievements to be good, though achievements can in some caes make them better (if they do something original rather than just "rewarding" you for doing unavoidable stuff or grinding).
    Achievements on the other hand can't make a bad game good.
    For obvious reasons I think most people would agree that a game's quality should influence your purchasing decision, achievements should be viewed as a bonus.

5. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I've never understood achievements in games/systems/third party apps. But on one hand, it's kind of a meta-game, I guess. And the OCD part of me can understand. But thankfully, I haven't let that part of me get into achievements. Otherwise, playing the games I own would become more of a task than leisure time probably.

6. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Agreed. Achievements are an unnecessary part of games imo. I think the Xbox 360 was the first system that offered such things so I can see if you're a younger person and you were brought up expecting achievements in games that you would possibly be disappointed if they weren't included. But taking it to the point of not getting a game because it doesn't have achievements is silly.

7. Der-Kleine

#87 Der-Kleine, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    I think achievements are best, when their name offers commentary on an action or scene you have just witnessed in the game, or when they drive you to do/see things you wouldn't normally do/see while playing the game.

One of my favourite examples of this is the "Ocelot time paradox" from Metal Gear Solid 3:

(I unfortunately)

For killing this character (who you're not supposed to really be able to kill at this point in the game or ever, for that matter) you get the trophy/achievemnt "Problem solved, series over", since this character, Ocelot, is vital to the plot of the entire franchise.
    It's just kind of funny when you think about it that by killing him then and there you've ruined the story of an entire franchise, which is why I think that's a well done trophy/achievement. It makes you do something you wouldn't normally do and then comments on the action you have performed.

Achievements and eastereggs like that add something to the experience, but they can't really be done in every game, and not every game needs them.

The point is that I think achievements can improve a game, but to do so the achievements have to do something special, meaning that the game has to allow them to do something special. I don't think a game like DuckTales would really benefit from achievements, since there isn't really anything I could think of that achievements could add to the game.
    And once again, achievements shouldn't be a deciding factor for when you purchase a game, they should be viewed as a neat extra if they are infact neat and not just "do this thing x ammount of times".

(SORRY FOR CONTINUNING THIS SOMEWHAT OFF-TOPIC DISCUSSION)

8. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I think some people will find any reason to complain and are never happy....so not sure why they are even here in the first place.

If you can't appreciate the fact that a game like this is being played on your phone...I can't imagine what game would make you happy.

Rant over and back on topic.... The one thing I would like to see in an update is better save. If you are playing and click off the game for a minute, the game resets. I could have spent 20 min on a level only to have to click out to reply to an email and then have to start over.

Other than that, this game is well worth the price of entry.

9. TheMerc

TheMerc Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    #89 TheMerc, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Man. I don't want to keep this off-topic discussion going, but some comments on this thread have reminded me why I'm not as active in this community as much as I used to be. There's such a hive mentality here that if someone posts anything less than 100% positive regarding a popular game, people immediately jump down his/her throat.

nemerleb's initial post was perfectly innocuous: (s)he simply mentioned that the game didn't have a feature he would have liked, and expressed his/her desire that a future update might add said feature. It was literally" Tbh I was kinda hoping for Game Center achievements Hopefully they will add that in the next update". No vitriol here that I can see. It wasn't like (s)he was all "bah, this game is stoopid, NO GAME CENTER = LAME!". It was just as valid as lamenting the fact that a game isn't compatible with iOS 7 or with controllers, which I see here all the time without the posters having to deal with this sort of backlash. And yet, judging by some of the responses, you'd think he had just got done drowning a box of kittens right before posting! What happened to the notion of treating people online as nicely as you would if you were meeting them in person?

I don't know, it just feels like this community as a whole is actively looking for oportunities to trash-talk and turn up the snark levels, even when it isn't entirely justified, and that doesn't make for particularly enjoyable interactions. Just my opinion...

However, this aside, please get back to discussing the actual game. I've been enjoying it quite a lot, even if the levels are rather long (however, that's part of the charm of the game).

10. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    I already own this game on the PS3 and I did in fact say in my post that the other reason is lack of smooth gameplay.

To pay $9.99 for Duck Tales is too much for me, especially when I have only 3 gigs left on my 128 gig Air.

I prefer achievements with my games but they are certainly not deal breakers (ie Monument Valley).

Systems I own or have owned: Atari 2600, NES, Genesis, Turbo Graphx for a week, SNES, PS1, 2, 3, 4, Xbox, Xbox 360, DS, 3DS, Wii, WiiU, PSP, Vita, IPad 1, 3, Air, IPhone 6+.

Why all the off topic but true babble in the above paragraph? I feel that my experience with gaming has been questioned by a few posters.

11. Der-Kleine

What do you mean by smooth gamepaly? As I already said: the game runs at 60 fps, and if you've got a controller it should be exactly the same as playing it on any of the other non-mobile platforms.

12. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    I have an Icade but that's it. Duck Tales is not worth it for me to double dip, but I will tell you that Injustice: Gods Among Us certainly is and that is free to play.

To others who have bought the game, who are on the fence, or haven't experienced the nostalgia, I sincerely hope that you enjoy Duck Tales!

13. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    This looks great and I never played the original.. Only thing holding me back is the file size

14. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    I must say that quite a few times I died due to the controls. Not a game breaker but it does mid inputs every so often. With that being said I started out playing this in normal, but due to only 3 lives and the controls I had to restart on easy. I think it would be way to hard to beat the game with the control issues on anything but easy. Now with a controller it might be different. Even on easy though it's still a fun game and I'm glad I purchased it. I just hate dying because of the controls. I rather die due to my error. Anyway implosion this week;)

15. OutSpoken

OutSpoken Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    The newer HD graphics look awesome. I'd take this over the older 8bit version any day - We have so much power in the latest iPhones and iPads these days, that I can't understand why some people would rather use these powerful iDevices to play retro 8bit and 16bit games all the time!?!?

16. Der-Kleine

DuckTales Remastered is hardly pushing the limits of today's mobile devices. I personally can't understand why some people are impressed by fairly basic 3D graphics on their phones & tablets when they are capable of so much more.

(This is NOT critizing DuckTales Remastered, since this clearly isn't a game that is trying to have the most impressive graphics of today)

17. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Nostalgia. And good games are good regardless of having HD graphics.

18. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Really, when this game works it absolutely WORKS!

Took me a while to get acclimated with/to the controls, but I'm having an absolute blast. Finding the extra hearts doesn't hurt, either. Seriously, find those hearts and the game gets a tinge easier.

Also, I find taking your time helps.

Money well spent. Still hoping for a tuning up of the controls, though.

19. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Some people take anything less than being ecstatic as pooping on their beloved game. I swear some read posts in the worst tone possible! I personally don't care if this has achievements or not, but I totally get that some gamers hold high value on that feature since your breakdown in the vita thread.

I remember playing this game as a rental from blockbuster... Ahh The good old days!

20. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.