Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DiogoP, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramaz1234

Ramaz1234 Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Ok here's the controls

Pretty crowded as you can see. The two arrows on top are for changing weapons. Also when your running that kicking icon turns into a sliding button.

Attached Files:

2. DiogoP

DiogoP Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Portugal
    #22 DiogoP, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    I just want to add that the new external gamepads from MOGA and Logitech are supported for anyone that can't get used to the touchscreen interface and invested in one of those.

Personally I don't think it's hard to play the game with the touch controls at all. All it takes is the first level to get used to it.

Also, we recommend dual-core CPU devices. This means:

- iPhone 4S or newer
    - iPod Touch 5 gen
    - iPad 2 or newer

EDIT: although, it will still run on iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4th gen.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Are there any options to customize the controls by changing size/position or adjusting transparency?

If the controls could be made fairly see through or response area adjusted (maybe even to simulate swipes in top bar to change weapons) it'd possibly feel a lot smoother. I might prefer to switch the jump and gun buttons, being more of an attack button masher.

4. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
  5. DiogoP

DiogoP Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Portugal
    The controls dim out when you first touch any button. Then it all stays pretty dim and should not be distracting. This is standard behaviour for now, not used defined.

The swipe approach was tested but it didn't work well.

6. Rumblecat

Rumblecat Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Thailand
    Downloaded it this evening. I'm enjoying it, played through the first level- Rooftop Rebellion- which was pretty good fun, lots of cheesy one liners from the Duke, controls are good enough once you to get the hang of them, by the end of the level I was easily navigating around, hanging off over-head pipes, dodging flaming fire vents and taking out the pig police with pipe bombs. Which makes them explode in a satisfying mess of blood, guts and fried bacon.

Pipe bombs are the best thing about it so far- you throw them first and then detonate them, useful for taking out awkward enemies and there seem to be plenty of them around to pick-up. Did have a bit of an issue navigating a bit with an air-vent until I realised the key was to just step on and let it do it's thing, rather than trying to heroically leap onto it and being flung off the building to my death.

I'm playing it on the iPad Mini, so the control layout is fine for me, I'll give it a shot on the iPhone 5 tomorrow and see how it plays on that as well.

It kind of reminds me of Rolling Thunder if anyone remembers that game. Only this one has pipe bombs and the Duke :)

7. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Thx for the code !

8. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Once I got the hang of the controls I quite grown to like it.

Lots to do.

The grabbing roof rungs to shimmy along controls seem a bit more awkward than they need to be.

I had so difficulty grabbing on in the area to find the yellow key with the flaming jumps.

9. advaith33

advaith33 Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Initial impressions from me are generally positive . One thing i haven't liked so far is that the controls are complicated to get into at first . I'm really digging the retro feel of the game as well.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Just played it on my iPad 3. Really good. Controls are much better as the main controls are much smaller

If there was a setting to reduce the controls slightly on iPhones it would be great

But plays very well on my iPad. A good game

11. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I tried to download it at work but it is over 100mb so i got a notification that I can download it as soon as I have wifi. Now I'm at home but I can't find the game. Theres nothing on the purchases tab on the AppStore and when I try to use the code again it says I already used it :confused:

12. dribblejam

dribblejam Well-Known Member

May 11, 2012
    IBM Employee
    Are all the codes taken?

13. gansta

gansta Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Just completed the download, thanks for the promo code. For those interested, file size when installedis 240mb.

14. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Any codes left?

15. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I watched the Appspy preview a bit ago and and it looks like great, I'm very excited to play it once it launches.

16. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    PM'd! Hope I'm not too late for a code!!

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #37 squarezero, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    The thing to keep in mind when playing the iOS version of Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project is that we're talking about a port of a 10 year old title. The game feels old: the models and textures are coarse, the animation is somewhat crude, and overall it lacks the kind of polish that you would expect from a modern title like Shadow Complex. So, set your expectations accordingly.

Then again, Duke Nukem was already a relic when this game was released in 2003, so perhaps it's appropriate that there's something kind of musty about the whole proceedings. The real question for me is this: does playing DN:MP make you feel like the badass hero of an 80's action movie? After putting in 45 minutes (three full levels), I feel comfortable saying: yes it does. The key, I think, is the suprisingly decent control scheme -- precisely the thing that damned the otherwise faithful iOS port of DN3D a few years back. In this I'm constantly pulling off badass moves like jumping down from a ledge, turning and blasting away a pig soldier. I'm not going to lie, though: it took me about 10 minutes to get used to the control layout: the dpad is surprisingly big, and at first it felt pretty klunky. The buttons are consistently responsive, though, so once you get used to the layout, you can rely on them in the heat of the action.

Combined with decent platforming, a great soundtrack, and the trademark Duke Nukem sophomoric humor, the game is just a blast to play. As one would expect from a PC/console port, the levels are much bigger and complex that what you usually find in the the typical iOS action game; whether you enjoy hunting down key cards and backtracking probably depends on your appreciation of 90's level design. For what it's worth, Duke is the first one to make fun of cliched game mechanics.

I should note that I did run into a few glitches the first time I played the game, including one that stopped my progress cold. Restarting the game fixed the problem, though, and I haven't run into any other problems so far. The game is pretty generous with checkpoints, so I would expect that if I ran into any other glitches I wouldn't lose much progress. Also, did I mention that the (translucent) controls look pretty huge on an iPhone screen. I wouldn't mind having the option of reducing the size.

18. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    #38 curtisrshideler, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    Thanks again for the code!

I am enjoying this title. And since it is a port, it looks great on my iPad 2. The controls are difficult to get used to. I am a much bigger fan of a joystick on the left instead of a d-pad, especially when my thumb missed the right direction. But it is still definitely playable as is. And brings me back to the good ol' 80's & 90's. Think Last Action Hero kind of fun.

Anyway, soundtrack is just an electric guitar, but I imagine that is original to the game. Each of the first 3 stages took me about 10 minutes a piece to beat. I got tired of trying to beat the first boss. Pretty epic battle. So, I went to save my progress... And I couldn't find an option to save! I found the option to load my progress, but there was no progress saved in any of the slots. Hope a save option gets added. Might take 45 minutes or so for me to get through the first levels and boss again.

Also, when I closed it to open the TA app, then went back to it, it started at the title screen. So, this app might not have multi-tasking enabled. Bummer, cause I lost all my progress.

Overall, though, this is a fun run and gun platformer. If you have been wanting to play a Metroid type game with cheesy one liners, an Arnold look a like, and a LOT of pig cops, then this is the title for you.

And if anyone knows how to save their progress before closing the app, please let me know!

19. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Well the first impression is good! Really good! It's maybe the nostalgia of one of the coolest video game heroes but totally just love, back then and now, to hear what he says on the road of killing everything and saving chicks. Of course this title has also a lot of exploration by finding secret rooms etc. The graphics seems a little bit aged but nothing bad (the quality makes them standing quite good and the character is very well done!!). The only thing i can imagine that takes some update is the controls (the directional pad only not all). Nothing game breaking (at least till level 2 where i am now) but i thinking that they can be a little bit smoother. For example sometimes when i am trying to go right or left i m hitting by mistake the diagonal down button and i am just crouching still. It reminds me the Contra control problem that after 3 updates they manage to make it very good and responsive (and here it's not so bad as it was in the very first iOS edition of Contra). As i said it's not game breaking till now (i m playing on iPAD so i don't know how it plays on iPhone's smaller screen).
    There is some iaps but i think are there just to unlock all the guns from scratch and nothing more (i will buy one just to support the team, they did a good job here :)
    All in all the game is bad ass and i m very happy that it came on iOS!!! Already in my ''Classics Games'' folder and gonna stay there for a lot time!

Anyway wish you good sales guys!!!

P.S: It's funny because last week i tried Ninja Theory's ''FightBack'' and was thinking that it has many elements from Duke Nukem Manhattan Project, and now it's already on my tablet!!! :)

20. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Albert Wesker :)