Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DiogoP, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #61 squarezero, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    Considering the amount of original, unique content, I don't see this as a .99 game. SE likely priced Tomb Raider at .99 because they knew it was nearly unplayable controlwise. I would also say that DN:MP has aged a lot better than the original TR.

BTW, DN:MP on PC has a Metacritic rating of 78. Not quite "average."

2. DiogoP

DiogoP Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Portugal
    I just want to say that a new version will hit the App Store (hopefully before the game is out) with the following new options:

- Set transparency of the controls
    - Set the size of the controls (2 or 3 presets)

Thanks for input everybody

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    It's bad when we're thinking if games as 99c or 2 dollars. I mean they're so cheap anyway ! Tomb raider might have been a dollar but most square enix games aren't !

The games well worth 2 dollars (I'm buying an IAP so the dev gets money from me). Devs need to make profits and we hear all the time of devs going bust as they don't make enough. One reason are people thinking every game should be one dollar!

This is a great port. The controls work well and I hope it's a success so we get more. 2 dollars for this is well worth it

4. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Any chance there will be a fix for the lack of saved games? A few posts back someone also mentioned exiting the app, coming back to it, and all of the load games were empty as well. He didn't spend as much time as I did playing it, but still I'd love to know that I'll be able to continue the next time I dive in for a few minutes/hours!

Great to hear the controls will have options. That'll be helpful for those who want it.

Thanks for the great work, and your continual interaction! Love it when the dev's interact with their customers.

5. DiogoP

DiogoP Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Portugal
    Yes! Game saves are TOP priority. Already sent a PM to a member that compained about that. If anyone has that problem and wants to help us re-create it, please PM me!

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    To be clear, the save game problem is not universal -- it works fine for me.

7. Cg2005

Cg2005 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    DC
    DiogoP, just replied to your PM. I also want to note that I just loaded this up on my 16gb iPad Air running 7.0.4, went through the first couple stages again, closed the app and the save works fine. It appeared in the Load screen with no problems. The problem I was having was on an iPhone 5 running 7.0.4 as well

8. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    When a dev publish a port which is 10 years ago and wants to compete with games of similar genre offering current graphic quality, the only way to even survive is .99. Why would I pay more if I can get better quality game with .99? Make no sense and I am not a DN fan anyway.

Also, you mention dev going bust because they can't get enough sales. They might probably get more revenue selling .99 than 1.99.

I played similar and better games like Apocalypse Max which cost 2.99 and I buy without hesitation because the production values is top notch. I even brought oceanhorn recently so I am certainty not cheapskate and buy only .99 games.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I like Apocalypse Max just fine, but DN:MP is a way bigger game and nowhere near as repetitive – there's simply no comparison. But I think you hit the nail in the head with the line "I am not a DN fan anyway." I can understand why someone who doesn't appreciate the character (and by extension, the humor) would hesitate to spend more than a dollar for this game. Lucky for the devs, there are plenty of DN fans out there, many of whom were bitterly disappointed by the DN3D iOS port. You can bet that they would be willing to pay more than $.99 for a decent iOS version of the last well-received game in the franchise.

I have to say, its too bad that you used up promo code that could have gone to someone with more of an appreciation for the character.

10. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, I agree. If you love the character, then you will absolutely appreciate his games more. I still play DN3D every now and then because I just love that game. And dealing with the iOS controls are just something I put up with. Thankfully, this game's controls work way better. And for DN fans, that's a good thing.

Hey, squarezero, have you played the DN2 port that hit iOS? Is that one playable as well? I wanted to grab it, but never got around to it.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I have, but those old side-scrolling DN games haven't aged very well for me – or maybe I've just gotten soft in my old age! Nothing particularly wrong with the port, just not didn't enjoy it as much as I remembered.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Duke nukem on ios has pretty poor controls but as I love the original I can put up with it. This game I remember I played it on my friends console years ago so I'm glad I've got the chance to play it on my ios device.

For a standard run n gun platform game I think it's great. Bargain at the price

13. DiogoP

DiogoP Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Portugal
    Well, DNMP is not Angry Birds with one finger controls and saturated colors for grabbing attention of 8 year old kids with short attention span.

DNMP is an hardcore game. Graphics are not "worse" or "better" than Apocalypse Max (I searched the game on iTunes) because they're in different categories. DNMP is a 3D game, that one is a 2D game. Technically, there is a world of differences between the two. DNMP allows different perspectives which allow another kind of gameplay. Etc, etc, etc... Having said that, I'll conceed that DNMP is NOT for everyone. Like I said, it is an hardcore game with a retro-style. Last time I checked, people were still buying Converse All-stars in 2013. Art or style, is a personal taste. I'll play the old Metal Slug any day and THAT game was, is and will be a work of art. Should be on a gallery somewhere.

Finally, there are not much more, similar genre, demanding games on iOS. DNMP requires a dual core device for playing smoothly and it's pure C code.

14. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I'm at the second boss, normal mode, and since my health is pretty low, he's beating my ass real bad, yet.

So much to see and wipe out in this game with a great replay ability, once (if) i move on to hard mode. Also nice are all the moves you can pull off, of course, after you got the feeling for the a bit awkward (too big on iphone5 compaired what we're used to other shooters) but very responsive controls.

As i got it for free, i would feel ashamed not to support this amazing shooter. Incredible job done dear Devs and thanks again for the code.

Edit: somebody call the police - it's a steal for two bucks !

15. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Excellent... and if you could do the directional pad movable would be awesome!
    The more i play on my iPad i am noticing (despite my first review) that my main issue is that the pad is a little bit higher than my favorite hands position and that's why i am hitting the down button instead right or left!
    Once more the game ROCKS! Totally recommended when it's out for older gamers and not only... It's a very good platformer even for those that never played it back then!

16. Just downloaded this game. For some reason was expecting a FPS, but was pleasantly surprised it was an action platformer. Looks pretty cool so far!

17. DiogoP

DiogoP Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Portugal
    Thanks for all reviews and input guys!

Adjustable height DPad? hum... not for this next update but it may happen... If most people think it is too high we can lower it a bit for now...

18. Jtown4prez

Jtown4prez Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    No complaints here! Thanks for the code im loving this classic!

19. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Got a code and got to say THANK YOU! As with the general consensus here, the game is solid. A good tribute to good ol Duke, even though it's not your traditional 3D. Loving the new aspect and the controls are responsive. Just got to get used to the tendency of hitting the down button when wanting to move forward or right.

For the the price, totally worth it, maybe a brief intro sale to get things moving, just a suggestion, but for the price a solid deal. I never thought Duke would be a solid platformer, the Devs did a great job and not really missing the traditional 3D aspect.

It does offer challenge and IMHO, many will love it, fans and newcomers alike. Totally recommended and worth the price of admission.

20. Lowlifemalakye

Lowlifemalakye Active Member

Dec 15, 2013
    So I played this up till the helicopter boss and then died on the part where your riding on the rope ladder. It then restarted at the very beginning of that boss fight which was annoying. Maybe that's how the original was but if you could add a check point or something that would be nice.

The only other problem I had was the directional controls felt a little sloppy maybe it could be simplified.