Universal Dungeon Crawlers [by Ayopa Games]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iVaro, Jan 26, 2012.

1. icecubes

icecubes Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    I would just like to forward my experiences of playing it through again on the update from the beginning.

No crashes at all until i got down to 4-1,which was a big improvment over the previous.

The game still crashed when i tried to pick up the chest on 4-1, but you are able to load from the save and continue past this.

Where I got stuck before in the lava room on 4-2 crashed the first time i entered the room, but after restarting and loading the save I could play this level without problem.

one more bug and one question. After the final boss on the stats screen it says 0/1 secret found - Is there really a secret here because even after several times playing that level I cant find it and am seriously beginning to doubt it exists? (Maybe you could PM me a hint or 2?)

Also after beating the last boss and doing the "tap to continue" on the stats screen it goes to a loading screen and just stays there....

Altogether though a great game, thoroughly enjoyed.
    Very much looking forward to future updates, being able to spend the accrued gold would be nice and a lot more dungeons please!!!

2. Clemep

Clemep New Member

Feb 6, 2012
    skeletal dragon ... that's all?

same here...so that is it? after beating skeletal dragon, just loading forever? it's supposed to do that?

ditto...good game...lots of bugs though...work those out and this is top notch...

3. Nufkin

Nufkin New Member

Feb 6, 2012
    What we do with the money in the game ??
    How do we buy something ???

4. Sandalfo

Sandalfo Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Paris, France
    Yup I'm stuck at this level too. The priest is quite weak and dies too easily.

5. DylanNagel

DylanNagel Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Freelance game producer at Wild Card
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Here's a few hints for level 3-2, the one in which all of your characters are seperated:

Take things slowly. Move Payter all the way back to the start of his area, and kill all the monsters until none are in sight. Find a spot which limits the number of attacks to only two, and use Cleave as often as possible. At some point you'll level up (if you haven't already), then you'll have Stomp too.

Failston must take care only to engage two archers at once. Just walk up to the first, Chop him, and walk back as far as you can. Rinse and repeat. Whenever the two archers are close enough, use the Whirlwind ability.

Aegon only needs to dispatch the two goblins. Then wait for Payter and Failston to be safe, then move on to destroy the third and fourth monsters (one by one). Don't forget to use a potion to get rid of Ignite effects. When all monsters are gone, Aegon will teleport to Roy's area.

Roy's most important job in this level is to hold out long enough by healing, healing, and healing some more. Just wait for Aegon to arrive and take everyone out with Fireballs and Magic Missiles.

Word of warning! Just when you thought you were done, there's even more monsters following after this whole ordeal. Just regroup, and focus on each party members strengths again.

Hope this helps some of you guys!

6. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    (waiting for the new level and store)

=)

7. DrowningMonkeysJC

Jan 23, 2012
    Level Designer
    Atlanta, GA
    Glad everyone is enjoying the game.

As of right now there is a minor bug after the skeletal dragon that may cause a crash. That error should be fixed along with a few other minor ones with 1.0.2.
    However there isn't any further levels beyond him at the moment. Chapter 5 is our top priority and we're aiming to get that out to everyone as soon as possible.

There are no secret doors in any of the boss rooms. So it should not say that there is a secret to be found. Thanks for the catch.

The money in the game will be used in the in-game store that we hope to get implemented at the same time we do Chapter 5. So all of you who have been hoarding up your gold and made it through 4-3 will be able to spend all of it on some new gear, potions, or a lovely trinket from the gift shop.

Level select will also be in the same update with Chapter 5.

iCloud support is in the works but may still be a while off from being implemented.

We try and keep things up to date as to what's in the works and what will be on each of the upcoming patches on the website (www.drowningmonkeys.com)

Thanks again everyone!

8. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    question.... i still haven't bought this game but been very interested since i want another good TBS game... but i always saw the line "Shining Force meets Diablo"...

so my question is... is there lots of random loot? and are there randomly generated dungeon/quests or anything of the sort?

9. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    No, no, and no. It's nothing like Diablo, the quote is very misleading.

10. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011

Agreed, I am not sure how they even got away with putting that statement in the app description.... :confused:

11. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    goddammit -__- thnx for your reply

12. Cromwell

Cromwell Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Selfemployed PC Service technican
    Cologne, Germany
    @Devs ADD random LOOT! People are going crazy for it ^^ Look at Dungeon Defenders! ^^ :)

13. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Found another bug - if you stun the fat banshee in level 4-1 the game will be stuck on the enemy turn. I'll have to try to finish the level without stunning.

Picture - http://i44.tinypic.com/rasvvq.jpg

14. DrowningMonkeysJC

Jan 23, 2012
    Level Designer
    Atlanta, GA
    The 1.0.2 Patch is now out and that bug is one of them that is addressed. You should have no more issues with stunning now.

For additional details on other issues that were fixed or any upcoming patches, check out http://www.drowningmonkeys.com

15. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Fairness issue

My biggest beef with this game (and I truly, truly love it) is that EASY mode is not been designed to be easy. There is an issue with fairness, of being too easily overwhelmed early in a scene. What is one to do when the very first counter-attack stuns three of your four characters?

Oops, Start again. C'mon! Sorry, but that's not great design.

And, btw, we need that store soon, please.

16. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I wonder if the difficulty is reversed, or something? I set difficulty to HARD and the first couple of chapters were still essentially trivial.

17. icecubes

icecubes Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    ending so soon?

just been over to the web site and read there under planned updates that Chapter 5 will be the conclusion of the story. So soon? This should have hundreds of dungeons at least. Cant you make it angry birds style and release a couple more every couple of months?

ending it after only 5 chapters would imho be a real shame...

18. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Bear in mind that this was probably my first Dungeon Crawl turn based game, so I could be somewhat lame at this but still.... way too many times attacks do 1 (or miss) to a monster and then the monster does 15 to Failston (or whoever) and Roy can't heal guys quickly enough. Or, two or even three are stunned.

My best strategy seems to be attack one guy and then have everyone run out of the dungeon and then do it all over again, and over again. That just doesn't seem very exciting. Almost like cheating. Hit, run away, hit, run away.

Oh well, trying to get the hang of it. :D

I'm in for the entire journey.

19. Lappstrong

Lappstrong Active Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Just finished chapter 4 and received no loot for beating the boss. I'm digging the game and how that this next chapter isn't the last. Fitting all those trophies into that last chapter is going to be rough

20. Catharsis

Catharsis New Member

Feb 11, 2012
    First off, I definitely enjoy this game. I'm up to 4-1 and am loving the style of game it is. I just love me some turn based strategy RPG goodness. I just got my iPad in December and this has been the game I've logged the most time on so far, I'm just determined to get to the end. Putting on my armchair game developer hat (and since it looks like the Devs read this thread), here are the things I feel could make this game better:

1. The difficulty selector doesn't seem like it does much, or isn't properly balanced. I started a game on "easy" and the game is still just plain brutal and very strategically challenging.

2. When selecting an enemy to attack, the game has a nice display that tells you the actual percent to hit and amount of damage possible. I assume the new damage range (different from looking directly at the spell/attack) is calculated with the enemies defense taken into account. Very useful when planning attacks, as I know if Failston has an 85% chance to hit for 6-26 damage, as long as he doesn't miss the skeleton with 5 hp left it will go down, right? Nope, for some reason this display isn't accurate. Many times I've done 1 or 2 damage even though that is below the stated damage range.

3. Healing. I remember the first time I cast "Pray for Recovery," thinking that it would remove the stun status from Payter and heal him a little bit because the description of the spell says "Healing Effect: 11-23 Pts." Payter was no longer stunned, but fell to the next hit because there was no healing effect. Either fix the part that says this spell will heal, or fix the spell so it actually heals. With the difficulty of the game, I'd vote on the latter.

4. Loot! Needs more loot. I'm all for secret locations for cool stuff, but when missing out on those means that I get nothing it makes me sad. One level I had to use all the status removal potions I had otherwise I was going to be killed via stunlock by the banshees. I haven't found any more of those potions since. I thought for sure I'd be able to buy more of those potions at some point, I think a wandering vendor at the start of every level would be nice.

5. Lastly, characters should be resurrected (woken up?) after the current battle is over with, not the end of the stage. I think it's just a little too harsh to take a character out of potentially multiple battles because they were struck down. The same game logic that makes the fallen character show up in the next level probably makes even more sense that they'd be revived after the battle they've fallen in. And the game mechanic that restarts the battle after a party wipe instead of the whole level also lends credence to this.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents. Still a fun game, and I will finish it, oh yes I will.

Catharsis