Universal Dungeon Crawlers [by Ayopa Games]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iVaro, Jan 26, 2012.

1. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Everythng he says double!

1. If Easy is easy then something is very wrong.
    2. Way too often, damage has been below the minimum stated (w/o missing) and that, of course, totally kills any attempt at strategy.
    3. Same here. Recovery has zero healing effect even though some is listed.
    4. I don't want to use all the potions. If I use them and the next room is even harder, then what? Wait a month for the developers to finally release an update with a store? By that time, I'll have moved on to something else, dissatisfied with an incomplete product.
    5. Losing a character in a room is bad enough. To lose him for the remainder of the level is crazy harsh. No chance of resurrection at all??!

Three times in the last hour, I've had three characters stunned by one Banshee on the same turn. How is anyone supposed to overcome that?! I've even tried separating my guys but doesn't matter.

Btw, Fairston, or whatever his name is, really sucks fight-wise. Doesn't seem to cause that much damage.

I want that store. Now. Most of all, I want EASY to be EASY.

2. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    finally decided to buy it....

i'll post later about how it went

3. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    damn you r right man you took the words out of my mouth:D
    This game it's inpossible HARDDD developers make the Game more EASY!

4. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Yeah easy = normal/hard for sure. Enjoying the speed increase in the update.

5. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Is it a bug? I am in the level where everyone is separated but when my magic user cleared his part, the portal does not move him anywhere. Please help.

6. Catharsis

Catharsis New Member

Feb 11, 2012
    I noticed that, too. Aegon was the first character that killed all the monsters in his area and I went to the portal and got the teleport animation, but no teleport. I then spent a few turns trying to explore his area looking for a secret area and then later the transport worked.

My guess is either Roy or a monster must have been standing on the destination square which blocked Aegon from teleporting, or (less likely) there is an order that the teleports need to be done in as the teleport worked for Aegon after Payter finished off his monsters and teleported into the next room.

They should probably include a message saying the destination is currently occupied, or make the teleport still work but into the closest open square near the destination.

Catharsis

7. Catharsis

Catharsis New Member

Feb 11, 2012
    After posting that last night, I played a little more and found myself in a battle where one of my guys died. I found my options were to a) finish the battle and continue the level without the guy, b) finish the battle and restart the floor, or c) keep hitting "end turn" until my whole party wiped and I could try again without losing the character.

I chose C of course :)

Catharsis

8. Catharsis

Catharsis New Member

Feb 11, 2012
    #208 Catharsis, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
    Now that I'm thinking about it, one more thing I'd probably like to see is a tighter damage range (aka higher minimum damage). Once you get into the higher chapters and monsters start having 50+ hp each it would be nice not doing small 1 or 2 damage hits.

As almost all RPGs are influenced by D&D, so I'll make that analogy. Given a choice between a 1d12 weapon, a 2d6, or a 3d4 weapon, which one would you choose? Unless taking the role-playing into account, the 3d4 is the obvious choice because the minimum damage (3) is higher and the maximum damage (12) is the same.

Add in some enchantments and stat bonuses (+2 enchantment, +4 STR), and you get a nice 3d4 + 6. That ensures that as long as you hit you can whittle down the enemy via attrition. In this game I've seen some pretty wild damage ranges. Oh how many times I've cast Fireball and seen Miss-Miss-1-1-Miss. Ouch. Disregarding the bug(?) with the inaccurate minimum damage, I think tighter damage ranges put more of the strategy back in this strategy RPG.

Of course, not all characters need to have the same damage spread. Character archetypes exist for our enjoyment. Payter is the tank that can deal reliable but unspectacular damage. Aegon is the mage that can obliterate an enemy, or see the spell harmlessly fizzle out of range. Roy's prayer of damage is a trusty finisher with a consistency that could only be described as divine. It seems like right now all the characters do 1-30 damage no matter what.

Catharsis

9. ChrisisB

ChrisisB Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Train engineer
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That happened to me too. Roy is standing on - and blocking - the destination square. Move Roy and the move Aegon onto the teleport-portal.

10. tofubean

tofubean Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
    I'd finished the game on medium difficulty. Not very difficult since i do not mind restarting whenever a character dies. I find the last dragon too easy for a boss and i'd like to adventure more. I like these type of games very much. :)

11. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Finally figure that out -- just make sure nothing stands on the tile where Roy was initially spawned...

Thank you everyone.

12. bill@3dgw.com

Aug 24, 2009
    I keep having an issue where roy will heal one of my characters and then I can't do anything other than end turn. I found a small work around that works sometimes where after I heal the character and roy is stuck I can swtich him to defend and then it seems to release but this only works some of the time.

I am really enjoying the game otherwise.

13. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    4 Stars

I'm disappointed this thread seems to have died. I've had a lot of frustration with the game but stuck it out and finally finished it earlier today. I will be hanging by my thumbs waiting for chapter 5 and will be first on line for any sequels.

This is the first time I've ever played this type of game, which likely accounted for much of my frustration. In retrospect, I still believe easy mode is far too hard for those who need an easier, less frustrating experience, but overall, this game is so well done that I am extremely happy I stuck with it.

I communicated my problems to the developer on a number of occasions and probably went too far in bashing and critiqueing. I apologized to him yesterday.

If you are having problems, switch to an easier mode. If you are already on easy mode, stick with it! If someone as inexperienced as I was can figure out the various approaches and tactics required to survive in all of these rooms, so can you.

The graphics in this game are superb, as is the soundtrack. The humor element really adds to the fun. Without it, the game would be too dry. Although some of the references to Ghostbusters or M. Night Shamalayan movies might seem ridiculous, it all jells nicely.

Again, I'm not at all embarrassed to apologize to Josh, the developer. In the end, he proved I was wrong. This is a great game and well worth the small investment. If you haven't tried it, you should. If you set it aside because it was too tough, pick it up again. If one method does not work, try another. There is a workable and effective approach for each room and each boss.

Thanks, Josh.

14. chud575

chud575 Active Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Hi Guys,

Just want you to know we've been reading the thread and you can expect over 250 items in the upcoming update, which is scheduled to drop on March 15th. We did find some interesting problems in the calculations for easy mode that was not adjusting the display before you attacked, and in some cases didn't adjust damage (AoE attacks were affected here), these have been resolved.

Also, the items will all be available to purchase in the store from the main menu. There will also be gold available to purchase as IAP. When you get the update, load up your latest save, then quit out, to get your gold to show up in the store.

sorry this takes us so long. We're not a very large team. Trying our very bets.

15. tofubean

tofubean Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Thanks very much for the update. I'd enjoyed the game very much and will be looking forward to new stuff. :)

16. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    as in, equipments? :O

*waits for the update :D*

17. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Should I finish the game now (onto last chapter) or should I wait for the update (to continue and/or replay)?

18. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    I was able to put the durn thing down for only 24 hours and was then compelled to return to finish it off. I don't even know how you could set it aside.

Chapter 4 isn't easy, but it is doable. If I can do it, anyone can.

I don't know what's in the store but now I'm thinking overkill, since I'm new to this and still managed to get through. Maybe that means Chapter 5 is VERY tough?

19. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    #219 Marcus70, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
    Dungeon Crawlers HD+ announced

Posted on from their website:

"The launch of Dungeon Crawlers 1.0 was overwhelming, even though i was totally prepared for it. We got a lot of feedback, and i'm proud to say that we are addressing a lot of the major (and some minor) concerns in the 1.1 update. The big bullet points is that there will be IAP and a store to purchase new weapons, armor, and potions from a general store in the main menu. The other big bullet point is that we will be concluding the main story line with the addition of Chapter 5.

Oh, and did i mention Dungeon Crawlers HD+ ? Launching April 5th, compatible with iPad 2, 3, and iPhone 4S is a retina-enabled, dynamically lit, bump mapped version of the game."

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #220 awp69, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    I've been interested in this game because it at least looks like a nice TBS that I'd enjoy, but a lot of the reviews talk about constant crashing (and, yes, I understand from the description that it's probably best not to multitask when playing this game).

So now that it's been out a while, what's the general consensus on it? Appreciate amn624's review post, but like to hear some other opinions.

And from the devs comments posted on the website, was the game released unfinished?? ("we will be concluding the main story line with the addition of Chapter 5").

Are these IAPs going to be required to finish the game? Besides the new weapons and stuff, having to buy gold as an IAP when the game is said to be incredibly challenging sounds to me like a poor plan for an update.

Wondering if I should just wait until the update is released to see the results (which obviously did not drop on March 15th as planned).