Dungeon Masters (by Supe, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    #41 Gabrien, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    Yeah, I suspect there is no way to do it. At least I've tried pretty much everything I could think of. I also suspect the game simply wasn't properly converted from a mouse-driven interface to a touch-driven one. Which is...a shame.

EDIT: To clarify: I think the problem lies in the fact that with a mouse you're able to click on something to pick it up, then drag it over somewhere then click again to interact. This doesn't work when you drag something with a finger, and in a number of instances it appears to "break" the game here to varying extents. A pretty inexplicable (and damning) oversight by the developers.

2. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I think I'm overestimating the time frame because time past by much faster when I was younger. I do recall rpgs, for a time, becoming a niche genre comparable with grognard-level wargames. I remember reading, either on the web or in magazines, about the "death of the rpg". Perhaps it was just due to declining sales that those articles were written up. Think '94-'96. Most releases were half assed. DM2, Descent to Undermountain (one of the biggest PC game disasters I can recall), a crappy Lore game or 2 by Westwood (I think that was the name, etc. Daggerfall was far from ready to be played when it was released as well.

I'm thinking of a time when Legend of Krondor was considered the best rpg available. And what was being released didn't sell.

3. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Oh, an World of Xeen (Might and Magic 4+5) was fantastic. Six and Seven? Ugh.

Back on topic, does this dev have the rights to this game? I love a good dungeon crawl, but don't feel like buying another game that gets pulled.

4. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    no crashes for me so far...used to love this (and the sequel)...for me this was better than Eye of the Beholder et al.

Saying that ive played Legends of Grimrock for 1/2 hour and that seems like the update that DM needs!

Well worth the money even if its bugged to hell and back lol

5. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    The way i opened the chest is using one finger to drag the chest to the right hand then use another finger to drag the item to your backpack its a bit fiddly but not to bad unlike the casting spell bug which seems like a game killer now and i really loved this game to.

6. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Hello all,

I have not bought the game yet, but managed to find the developers
    E-mail. I asked if they could join this forum to help those who are having
    problems with the game. Hopefully they will create a patch to fix the magic
    casting bug etc.

Cheers!

7. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    That's awesome news! Thanks! :D

8. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    #48 mekanikal fiend, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    thanks captive! thats awesome as i was trying everything. Seems to work As it should, have no difficulty at all with chests any more.

the spell problem has me going crazy trying to figure out what causes it. Before it was always my priest casting the light spell. Now it's switched to my wizard and now I'm in big trouble because he was the main damage dealer. Fireball spell. Crash. Light spell. Crash. Maybe now my Mage is about to level up?

Might have to restart as the wizard was the one character who could actually hit a monster instead of missing all day.

EDIT seems if my priest casts a wizard spell then crash. And if my wizard casts a wizard spell then crash. They can cast the other spells, just not what I listed. I think it does have something to do with leveling up, as those spells used to work perfectly.

9. Captive

Nov 28, 2011
    Glad to help Mekanikal,but regarding the caster bug i think it is the leveling that crashes the game so really hoping they fix it for us.Would hate to have finally got Dungeon Master for it to end here.

10. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Yeah sure hope they fix the bugs. Seems it was rushed with very little testing. Sad:(

11. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Does dragging the chest to your hand make it open? I could have sworn it just goes into the character's hand. I tried dragging it to the eye then using another finger to drag an item out but that didn't work. In any case, I'll try again what you suggested. Thanks.

I haven't hit the casting bug yet. Does that also actually make it impossible to progress? I don't recall magic being essential for any part of the game, but could be wrong.

12. SUPE

SUPE Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Responses to Questions

Sorry everyone for not replying back sooner. We just found about your discussion this afternoon. To answer your questions

1. It's called Dungeon Masters due to an app already called Dungeon Master.
    2. It is a remake of the classic game. There is no code being used from the old app (would be tough to port a game from 1986 to today)
    3. We used multitouch to in the place of the right mouse click. So if you touch an item on the floor to pick it up, you can then use another finger to select the character you want by using another finger. That will open the inventory to place the items.
    4. Would love to do this on the iPhone, that was our first attempt, but the screen is just too small to use. There may be some work arounds, and we will work on it later.

We posted the app after testing, but seem to have a few issues. The first is an issue with the iPad 1(classic). It does not work on this. We have gotten reports of issues when your character moves up a priest level. We are working on fixes to this. Please send any issues you have found to [email protected]

Thanks for trying our app.

13. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    So glad that you showed up and are fixing the few bugs.
    Game is great. Love it

I'm getting wizard level bugs. not with the priest spells.
    My character is a priest, but the light spell is a wizard spell right? All the spells used to work, now I can't cast either light or fireball with either of my magic users or it crashes. The potion spells and the unlock door work fine, but any attempt of light or fireball crashes instantly.

Looking forward to the fixes

14. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Welcome to the thread! I'm definitely glad to hear that you will actively be squashing bugs, and making this game even better. :D

15. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    #55 geoelectric, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    Yeah, I remember those too. And I remember almost literally throwing my Daggerfall disc at the wall when it kept randomly generating dungeons you couldn't really solve.

There were still some decent games then, but think that was the time period where 2d->3d transitions were happening, and we were still too in love with full-motion and photorealistic characters. Made for a bunch of crappy games in general, not just RPGs. :/

I spent many hours with Betrayal at Krondor, though. Probably liked the game more than Feist's actual books!

Anyway, we're way digressing. Good times, though, good times!

16. Captive

Nov 28, 2011
    Yes putting the chest in your right hand opens it for you to drag the items out with another finger,anyway am sure you've sussed it now.About doing the game without magic you know i'v never tried that,i completed with two,three and four chars but never without using magic,would love to hear stories from anyone thats done that.

17. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Only thing stopping me from trying this is, is this version official and legal or an unauthorised copy?

18. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    I've never done it either, but feel like I've heard of people who have. Or maybe I am imagining things; it's been a long time. Back when the game came out it was challenging enough for me personally with a full party. Which reminds me actually: this version feels easier than the one I remembered. Do the monsters move slower? Conversely, it feels like their hits are harder to avoid: a hit appears to register even after it clearly appears that I've moved out of the way.

19. Boudecea

Boudecea Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Hi all loving this game but having the same problems with the game crashing when casting wizard spells now,can everyone that finds a bug report it to the link in the above post and not just assume that someone else has thanks.