Dungeon Nightmares first person horror game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kmonkey, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmonkey

kmonkey Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Yeah I do like the trail on the map... sometimes it shows how lost someone can get after running away scared!

Work in Progress report:
    • Spent most of the day refining the AI for the Skeletons
    • Amped up the shock effect for the girl when close up
    • Optimising some rendering code to get it working as smooth as possible on iPhone 4
    • Played with the randomisation of items (less candles and gold, potentially)

I also did some VERY early "tests" for procedural generated dungeons but it might be too memory intensive for all the devices I want to hit right now. Not to mention the massive spike in triangles.

[​IMG]

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #42 JCho133, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    OH MY GOD I WAS PLAYING THIS WITH ONE HAND WHILE I WAS EATING DINNER IN A FULLY LIT ROOM WITH NO EARPHONES ONLY MY SPEAKERS ON 3 AND I SAW A SKELETON AND WALKED UP TO IT THEN LOOKED AROUND THE ROOM AND WHEN I LOOKED BACK THERE WAS A LOUND PIANO NOTE AND THE SKELETON HAD MOVED OH MY GOD THAT SCARED ME SO BAD.

Woo, glad that's over with. Time to finish my chicken and green beans

3. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Glad you didn't choke on a bone, no pun.

I just put out a minor update to the beta that fixes this problem I HOPE! I also took the time to stop the view bouncing a bit when it hits the highest/lowest angle.

I didn't notify everyone by email so please check Testflight manually for this new build. Let me know if this is all sorted thanks :)

4. Lowlifemalakye

Lowlifemalakye Active Member

Dec 15, 2013
    I just tried to test the game out on my ipad 3 test flight says it's not supported.

5. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    You need to add all new devices to Testflight (which you did) and have to wait for me to allow access to the new iPad. I've just added it so please try again and let me know how it runs on it ;)

6. Lowlifemalakye

Dec 15, 2013
    Oh I see. Ok I will play it and get back to you.

7. Lowlifemalakye

Dec 15, 2013
    Played it on the iPad works really smoothly.

I had an idea for the game and I don't know how hard it would be to add it but, I was thinking maybe you can make the playthroughs connected like everytime you escape it gets harder. More enemies and less candles. And the gold carries over to how many candles you start with. Up until you die. Just an idea.

8. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    I hate how all of the lag hits when I am being chased.... :(

9. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #49 JCho133, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    My gosh this game is brilliant. Way better than any Slender will ever be.

Just want to be clear there's only the 2 enemy types correct? I've played about 5 times so I wanted to make sure.

Also, I think you should make Mary scarier. The sound is perfect but I think you should make her move faster, ya kno, make it a bit more intense. Perhaps more screen shake

Also, I liked it better when it said "Wake Up" rather than "go to sleep" so you don't know whether it's reality or not. It's obvious it's a dream when it says go to sleep

10. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Also thanks to all those that signed up. I have just added another batch of beta testers to the list but have now closed the recruiting phase. I will re-open it for new testers down the road and you will hear about that here first.

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    ^^ I completely agree with you on the slower pace. As I was reading through the whole thread earlier today I was like "please no run feature!"

But, Mary just doesn't feel like a enough of a threat to me. I'm sure there's another things that can be done other than speed up the game. Maybe she speeds up when you look back? I'm not sure... I just feel like she's too slow.

But definitely keep to your gut on this one, it's gotten you this far!

12. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    yep, i use an iPhone 4.

13. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    I just pushed out the latest build and squeezed out a substantial performance boost for iPhone 4 (iPad 1 too) users :)

14. freaknizzle345

freaknizzle345 Active Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Just an idea but maybe you could take all those features you said you took out to make it run smoother and make them show on newer devices if possible, I have an iPhone 4 and some games I play are good but then I see them on newer devices and the graphics are all amped up and what not. Idk just something that popped in my head.

15. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Yeah I might put that in later.. I'll still try and get as much as I can out of the old iPhone 4 first though :)

16. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Whew... just completed a new milestone with the following updates:

I know I said I didn't want a run button since it would complicate the controls but I wanted to put this into the Beta since this is what a test is for :) also I think the Double Tap (left stick) works quite well without another button on screen!

Having a run option also allows me to make the Walker chases more intense the more nights you survive. She will start to Run at you if you get far enough ;)

I hope everyone on the Beta test can give this one a go and give me some feedback here. More importantly, I hope you still have fun with it :eek:

17. Lowlifemalakye

Dec 15, 2013
    This sounds really cool I will give it a go tonight and let you know what I think.

18. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Hmmmm sounds like runner was implemented well. Can't wait to give this a shot. By Nightmare do you mean a new enemy?!

19. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Holy guacamole! I had to spot playing this haha, it's 12 at night where I am and I ran into Mary head on within 2 minutes of each other I just couldn't do it haha. I'll play some in the morning.

Maybe Colossatron will lighten the mood :D

20. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #60 JCho133, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    Alright I just tried to play one more time and I heard a door open across the room and exited out before that darn scream! Haha I just can't do it tonight.

I'm gonna go play Super Splatform because it's the happiest game I know!

I'm not sure if you changed anything but Mary seems far more persistent! You might want to settle her down for exploration's sake