Universal Dungeon of Madness (by Game Stew)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #21 Vovin, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

These mechanics exist for several years, and as GS already pointed out, they were used in various games before.
    Btw.: there are millions of games out which share the same ideas. Do you have 90% of all companies blacklisted?

2. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    So which game is better? This one or Swap Quest?

3. weretiger

weretiger Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    It takes a long time to make a game. It's really doubtful that either game influenced each other!

4. Praymettin

Praymettin Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    #24 Praymettin, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    Thanks a lot for that relieving reply. I always promoted and supported Game Stew and poured hours into your all games(well, except Ancient Legacy, didn't have time yet) All had unique flavours and I will definitely check this one out too then :)

Not %90 but yes. What are we if we don't defend what we believe?

Inspiration is necessary but copying whole concepts is outright stealing and most of the time it is clear which is which, despite people would not admit.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #25 drelbs, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    I'm surprised no one has posted impressions yet...

So - I've spent some time with it this morning and it's quite fun, but I feel the game does a poor job of introducing you to the game. At the very least I'd kill the time limit (or pause) while the tutorial bits are up - you're literally thrown into a the tutorial level and have to balance reading and tapping through the messages at the bottom while the game is running which is very confusing. Probably the best would be to pause with each message, and either flash the arrow pointing to what the text is referring to or draw attention to it somehow. I felt really lost and re-played a few times before I even thought to exit the level and see the rest of the 'intro' which walks you through the menu items. If you can manage it I'd extend the tutorial to include exiting the game so you can show the menu stuff (and end the tutorial) a little bit more cleanly.

That being said, I really like the game. It's not turn based other GameStew greats, but more arcade-y. At first glance, I was expecting something more like The Amaze-ing Labyrinth, but with tile rotation, but this works as well.

Things you need to know:

The Hero keeps the same path for movement, turning 180 degrees if s/he hits a dead end or 90 degrees if s/he hits a corner piece or a 4-way with a diagonal line. Open 4-way tiles are essentially a straight tile that you don't have to rotate, 4-ways with the line are like 2 corner tiles together. Maybe that line in the 4-way tiles could be a bit more obvious or explained better in the tutorial.

EDIT: I forgot, if the hero enters the bottom of a "T" intersection s/he will turn RIGHT.

Your primary goal is to kill all the monsters, get the key and go to the exit (which opens when you get the key.) You will get nice gold bonuses for opening the silver chests, rescuing the hostages and/or completing the level within the time limit.

1 Death appears every time the time limit is reached. If you're quick you can avoid him. With health, you can survive bumping into him a time or two.

Every time you kill a monster, random food/gold will appear. There isn't a lot of spare time to go after these, mostly I just get them if I'm lucky. A great powerup idea would be to light-up the hero's current full path (changing as you rotate tiles.)

Basic strategy is to corral the monsters and the hero together (preferably towards the exit and away from spike plates) as tightly as possible - since monsters have HP, the hero may have to walk past them a few times, so block them in small areas if you can.

If I discover any more good tips, I'll post them here, but this is definitely going to keep be busy for a while with the nice selection of unlockables. Another nice thing is that you can choose which level to play, so you can play an easier level to practice, farm for gold, or just to enjoy a not-so-brutal level. ;)

6. momopara

momopara Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Here are some tips for you heroes:

- You don't need to finish 3 quest at the same time, you can always replay the stage already unlocked.
    - There are several ways to spawn the food to remove hostage's curse. food may spawn when you kill enemies, loot coins or golden chests, unlock the gate, and touch the toy bear.
    - Default hero can increase speed at LV.4, upgrade it when you need more speed.(you will hope he runs like a wind after you master the tile rotating)
    - Keep killing monster will unlock their gallery and give you gold.
    - After collecting 50 medals, you can tap reaper in the main page to challenge the survival mode.
    - We have 3 gameplay video on "Tower of Fortune" FB, they all teach you some useful tricks.

7. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Thanx a ton, b/c my frustration level has been multiplying exponentially. I get it, the lines on the tiles and such but cldnt accomplish very much in the given time limit. Gonna give it some more time.

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    As the developer said, don't expect to do all three goals (chests/hostages/time limit) at the same time. And the time limit is not a hard limit either, it just spawns a death into the level. (Queue "Hurry Up!" from Bubble Bobble: Dweet! Dweet! Dweet! BUM BA DUUUUUUUM DUM! :D)

9. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    I agree. It's makes more sense to assume that both games were inspired by earlier games that had similar play mechanics.

10. momopara

Sep 21, 2013
    Trust me,with some practice, you can master the tile rotating and finish 3 quest in one time easily. :)

And about the death, well..., if you are too slow, second death still comes after first one (every 30 seconds)

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    A few things:

1) I forgot T pieces, updated my original post. BTW they are EVIL! Don't get stuck!

[​IMG]

2) Several times now I've been clobbered by a spikey ball at the start - i.e. the ball was 1 square above me and hit me as we both took our first steps, before any possibility of player intervention. Not a biggie for such a short game, but frustrating nevertheless. It might be beneficial to alter the initial level setup to not spawn monsters 1 tile away to avoid this.

3) You can't go down the stairs while they're opening. Probably rare, but I had the key spawn 1 tile from the exit, and walked right over it while it was opening and had to route back.

4) I'd love an option to not bring up the stats (and pause the game) at least for the hero, as I'm often tapping near him/her trying to re-route. It's nice to bring up the monster's stats, but I already know my own.

12. psiboy

psiboy Member

May 23, 2011
    I hope you don't play any FPS games because they all copy the concept from Wolfenstein 3D. How will I go on with that round of Halo on my conscience for the rest of my life?

13. momopara

Sep 21, 2013
    Hi Drelbs,

You really take a deep look into the game(about the "T devil in your picture, you need to create a road for the monster first) ", right now we are discussing your advice and see how to improve it, thanks for your advice. :)

Btw, all you guys shares good point to discuss the game, maybe you can post on Appstore, too.

14. Sickofit1928

Sickofit1928 Member

Mar 31, 2014
    So does every mode in this game have a timer?

15. momopara

Sep 21, 2013
    Yes, but it won't cause death immediately. It spawns one reaper every 30 seconds until they surround and take all your HP.

The most different is survival mode won't restore your HP after finishing every floor and have different score calculating rules.

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    What is the CRI stat and how does it work? I'm assuming it means Critical Hit, but what are the odds?

17. momopara

Sep 21, 2013
    Yes, it means Critical hit, CRI 1=10% critical hit chance, 2 means 20%.

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Is a critical hit 2x damage?

19. momopara

Sep 21, 2013
    Yes, critical hit deals 2x damage.

20. Rebusmind

Rebusmind Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    Hi, I'm the developer of SwapQuest and I can assure you that there's no stealing involved. SwapQuest has been in development for almost two years. Also I played Dungeons of Madness and both games play very differently. I'd go as far and say that the existance of tiles is the only common feature. So enjoy the games. :D