Dungeon Plunder - Old-school Isometric Dungeon Crawling RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DungeonPlunder, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Its going good cant wait:)

2. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Agreed - Palm Heroes is good, but it's been a while since they did any work on it. People always like to see fresh takes on a popular genre. The one main thing PH lacked was a cohesive campaign. It had lots of individual maps, each with their own goals and stories, but no long term campaign. If you could add that, you'd have a major jump on them.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Dungeon Plunder is a lot of fun. The combat mechanic the developer described last page works few well and is engaging; more so then the description might let on. Keep an eye on this one... *re-entering beta testing "Cone of Silence"*

4. Little update: Dungeon Plunder is in it's final stretch of testing and balancing.

Here's 2 more screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second screenshot shows a Dungeon Boss. They always have high quality treasures with a higher chance of dropping a magical accessory or a life scroll (which can restore your life and armor mid fight - a key item to beat the standard game) but are also tougher than a typical creature of their level.

It's a gamble to engage these and if you wait until you outlevel it the treasures may be gone as Dungeon Plunder has an anti-farming mechanic that pushes you to move onward.

5. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I certainly appreciate the amount of work that went into this game
    so far. I was really impressed with the graphics , as they convey the old
    school feeling , but still have a very appealing modern day look.

For me, I'm not sold on the slot combat however. I see the game world
    and get excited for some down and dirty combat , only to be presented
    with a slot game that just does not convey the feeling of battle at all.

Perhaps , if you actually showed both fighters interacting at the top or
    Bottom of the screen as the slot matching was going on it would project
    the feeling of combat more.

Good luck with your game

6. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    This was exactly my thought when I first found out about the slot combat mechanics. However, I can say the Dungeon Plunder pulls it off very well and the slot mechanics force you to make strategic decisions. I don't want to say too much other than to advise you against writing Dungeon Plunder off based on the slot component yet. Having reluctantly played other slot combat RPGs like Tower of Fortune, King Cashing, and RPG Slots (and I am not typically a slot RPG fan) I can say that Dungeon Plunder is easily the more immersive of them hands down plus, as is obvious by the developer's screen shots and randomized levels, there is a great world exploration aspect to Dungeon Plunder. On paper the slot combat sounded bad to me also; in practice it's nicely executed and fun.

7. #47 DungeonPlunder, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
    Update: The game has been submited to Apple!

So excited to have finally finished my first game ever.. Here's a rundown of the main features:

[​IMG]

** Full randomization of overland and underground maps **

Every game offers a different environment with a beautiful and diverse scenery, 90+ different monsters and bosses to defeat, ensuring several hours of replayability. Everything is rendered in classic yet crisp looking isometric style graphics.

[​IMG]

** A fun and engaging combat system **

Gone are the days of mindless tap tap until the mob dies with Dungeon Plunder. Combats are based on a pseudo-slots machine designed from the grounds up to be easily played on a mobile device: both your thumbs will quickly select symbols defining your battle moves for that round followed by a respin phase.

There's also a cooldowns management aspect: burn them too early or hold on them for too long may cost your life.

** 3 character classes with distinct abilities and playing styles **

At launch the Warrior, Mage and Rogue will be available to play with more to come. Each of them is different enough to play through the game several times.

[​IMG]

** Skill points distribution on level up and many equipment slots to manage **

I like RPGs with lots of equipment slots and skills customization so I shaped up Dungeon Plunder to be that way: every time you level up you will have 5 points to distribute among several different skills improving various aspect of your fighting abilities and your character has 11 equipment slots to upgrade

[​IMG]

** An extensive legacy system **

Roguelikes are typically merciless when you die. Dungeon Plunder is no exception but there's a twist: you will leave an inheritance to your next character such as gold, some of your old magical items and life scrolls that can heal you mid-fight.

You may even unlock higher starting levels for future characters of your class and earn the ability to scribe legacy runes: mysterious stones that provide buffs shared among all your future characters.

** Full game center integration **

40 achievements and 8 leader boards should keep you busy for a while with more to come in future updates.

** 8 Orchestral music tracks **

High quality music suited to your surroundings will accompany your travel enhancing your game playing experience. The album will also be available for download on iTunes.

[​IMG]

** Save the world! **

Ultimately you will confront an evil archmage conjuring an ice age: the environment will be covered progressively in ice and snow as you travel the perilous lands.

** Universal game and widescreen support **

Dungeon Plunder is a universal game with full support of the widescreen iPhone5 and iPod Touch 5th generation.

** Launch promo for a limited time **

As an early adopter your copy will be tagged as an Heroic Edition and you will be rewarded with an intermediate legacy rune of your choice providing a bonus to all your characters right as you start! Choose wisely!

I'll work on a trailer in the upcoming days and will update with the release date as soon as it's been determined. If you have any questions about the game fire away.

8. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    awesome!! cant wait. looks great

9. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Congrats! Looking forward to it!

10. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Holy crap how have I missed this until now? Insta buy.

How much will it cost?

11. Free with 5 hours armor repair between fights :p

Kidding, just $1.99 and there's no "gems", currency purchase or paywall of any kind.

12. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Lmao these days you never can tell :rolleyes: can't wait hopefully it will be a quick approval.

13. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    no gems or paywall

forget this game

:]

14. Blackcat1313

Blackcat1313 Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Ahhh holy crap this looks amazing.

15. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Dungeon Plunder rules! I beta tested it and Dungeon Plunder looks great on my 5G. You will not want to miss this one. The advertised character classes add a good variety of combat; combat that is more robust than any roguelike or slot based game I've played on iOS. I got more than $1.99 out of the pre-release product. Congratulations to the developer not only for the submission but for crafting one heck of a game. Get it when you can!

/rave

16. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Now I don't want to wait ugh

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Instabuy for sure! Will this be a Thursday midnight release or released when approved?

18. Cheeseball

Cheeseball Active Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Product Trainer
    United States
    I just joined to say that I await the release. :eek:

19. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Is there a dexterity element to the slots (predict where they are going to stop and tap at the right time) or is it automatic and random? I much prefer the latter.

Also I don't care that much about the icon but the abbreviated name "Dgn Plunder" irks me greatly. There's got to be something better than this. (I sure wish Apple would go to two lines for app titles.)

20. Hello David,

First of all nice to see you on this forum after reading you on BGG. I'm a fellow attendee of the WBC and a TTA/Titan fan as well although I just play the former there and ran away with a 5th place 2 years ago.

To get back on topic: The slots is automatic and there is no dexterity element. You may find a video a few pages back in which I did a fight as a Rogue - the video itself is not of great quality (frame rate is low/sound is off) but should give you a rough idea. I'll try to have a quality trailer by the time I release the game.

As for the name I'm not gonna argue as I'm definitely not 100% happy about it either. I really wish I could go with 2 lines as you mentioned. I decided to abbreviate the "Dungeon" part of the name after seeing what Ubisoft did with Dungeon Hunter 3.

Just tested it and "Dungeon Plun" fits. Might go that road on the first update as it's more likely for a user to search for "Dungeon" than "Plunder" if he's looking for the icon on his device.