iPad Dungeon Raid (by Fireflame Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by freedog, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Paconious

Paconious New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Is there anyway to kill yourself in the game? I am playing on normal setting and I have the powers where I turn all coins to swords, all swords to shields and double the shields I collect all at level 10 with the -1 to coll down ability and have 3.5 Up. so every 5 turns I basically get 4 or 5 upgrades. It was fun for a bit, but now I do about 200 spike damage a turn and regen about 100 hp a turn. I don't know how to lose now. Everything, including boss monsters, hit me and die. then I regen any damage I took. Is there any way to quit, short of starting a new game? I want to record my score, but I don't see how to lose now.

2. n8equalsd

n8equalsd Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2010
    That happened to me once. Your best bet is to not use potions and shields if at all possible, and hope you get lucky in killing yourself.

3. Nerdsbeware

Nerdsbeware New Member

Mar 23, 2011
    I just picked up the game today and damn is it great! Since there's around 100 pages of threads, I figured I would just ask. I leveled up and one of my skills was +STR and it says:
    Base dmg: 4 >> 5
    Chance of bonus XP: 20 >> 25%

What does the ">>" mean? I see other stats that just say flat out +1. Does it mean something different or is it just a straight upgrade like the +skill?

4. Zaraf

Zaraf Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    It means that selecting that upgrade will upgrade your base damage from 4 (which you currently have) to 5, and the Chance of bonus XP from 20% (which you currently have) to 25%.

5. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Great Update! Dungeon Raid is so good, that I often play it between the hallways at school, on the bus, and during some classes. Yup, I'm a dungeon raid addict.

6. Nerdsbeware

Nerdsbeware New Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Ok so basically there is no real difference if it says +HP 10 and HP: 10>>20 other than the amount I am gaining? I'm still getting an increase directly to whatever skill directly either way.

7. Zaraf

Zaraf Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Correct.

8. Nerdsbeware

Nerdsbeware New Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Cool, thanks a bunch!

9. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #989 ArtNJ, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    Holy smokes, I just *finally* learned that quick can reduce your cooldowns below what they would be when the skills are at level 10! For some reason, I thought this was not possible. This makes quick coupled with low cooldown skills incredibly precious! Many games I have not taken it and/or given it away!

Here is some info and thoughts on the 4 classes I have unlocked. Thoughts on the races to follow at another time.

Classes

Mage: Perk is that 5% of potions are the blue, cooldown reducing kind. Not a bad perk at all. Flaw is -10 health. Not a big deal in high scoring games, but it will make it harder to get started, especially on harder. Racial skill is very interesting, trace a closed path, collect whats inside, very low cooldown of 12 will become 2 at max level, 1 with quick. Its just a matter of how often its actually usable. Not clear to me its as good as the other collection skills, but its interesting. Verdict: Mage is a net plus over Adventurer if your going for skills with low cooldowns that yield increased upgrades (collection skills, double value of collected stuff, etc.)

Warrior: Perk is +10 max health, flaw is special monsters have +5% health. This is a total raw deal in high scoring games, where +10 health becomes irrelevant, and +5% special monster health becomes very relevant. The warriors special skill, charge, collects the tiles around the edge of the board, but it has an 18 cooldown, and unlike the other collection skills, does not have the average effect of increasing the order of your board. I cant see any reason to chose warrior. Only good for beginners that need the +10 health to escape the low levels. A bad class if you want to challenge high scores.

Barbarian: Another bad class if your goal is to challenge high scores. The perk is +1 base damage, which will become totally irrelevant real fast. The flaw, -10% bonus shield chance, is hugely problematic and will cost you multiple upgrades per game. The special skill is a 14 cooldown heal that only works when you kill something -- could be helpful, but not any better than double potion healing. Avoid if you want to challenge high scores.

Assassin: Very good class if your goal is to challenge high scores. Perk is clearly useful -1 cooldown for the 4th skill choice (stick something useful with a low cooldown in there like collect all shields), and the flaw, that enemies have +1 health, will quickly become totally irrrelevant as enemy health heads over 100 at high levels. The special skill, Haste, is fairly intriguing as well -- 16 cooldown, create a chain tile allowing you to match 2 different tile types. Will have to see this one in practice to evaluate it, but even if its useless, the Assassin class is very strong.

Verdict: So far, Assassin is my choice to level, with mage a close second. The order might change if there is some penalty for changing races, since I like the Mage's starting race better than the Assassin's, but that is another post.

10. Masterofpuppets

Mar 20, 2010
    Hi, I have a question, I unlocked the orc and I'm playing with but I can not level up I think I missing something or what I have to do? thanks

11. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    I gotta agree here, the lag whenever I kill a special monster is super annoying.

Is there any way to see how far along I am with leveling up a class? I know I get exp every time I kill a special monster, but I have no clue how much...

12. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    You aren't supposed to have 3.5 UP, it's supposed to max out at +2.0. It sounds like maybe there's a bug in the new version?

In any case, you can quit if you want to, but I assure you, if you keep playing, the enemies will eventually get hard enough to kill you. This is the point of the game, in my view: to max out how much strength you can gain when the enemies aren't so tough, and how many points you score, so that you can get as far as possible.

(This assumes you're really playing at Normal. Not Easy.)

What is your score so far? Still well under 100,000, I suspect.

13. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    No, cooldown of 12 at level 1 becomes 2 if you have quickness at level 10.

14. Hebug

Hebug Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2010
    #994 Hebug, Mar 24, 2011
    Any thoughts on Magic Sword applying to ranger arrows? Intentional or overlooked? I mean I guess the skill does have the word sword in it but...worth a shot I suppose.

edit: also I've never understood the armor pierce stat. Can someone explain that to me? Is it a chance to bypass armor? Is it a chance to damage the enemy armor? A bonus to damaging enemy armor? I guess I haven't paid enough attention to the numbers.

edit2: another thought as I play with the ranger class, any thoughts on a couple new weapon graphics for some of the other classes? Bows for ranger? Staves for mages/priests? I have too many classes unlocked I don't know how I'm going to get to them all. Oh well I imagine this phase of unlocking more classes than I have games for will only last a short while.

15. Sailor Jensen

Sailor Jensen Active Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Leveling up is the same as unlocking a class. Just play as that race till a trophy drops and once it drops simply click it.

16. stanny

stanny Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Just checking, this has GameCenter achievements yes?

17. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #997 ArtNJ, Mar 24, 2011
    I disagree with you a little David. Even on hard, there is a longgg stretch when the game just isnt challenging once you set up properly due to the skull health, armor and damage growth curve. Then, around turn 1000 (in the current version), the curve suddenly takes off like a rocket, you are dealing with up to 1300 health bosses that hit for 150+ and regular skulls that hit for 50+ and have health + armor of nearly 200. Several of the bosses are so unkillable and so deadly that there mere appearance virtually requires teleport or banish, unless you have magic swords or the damage doubler. If you get more deadly bosses while teleport is on cooldown, and you dont have a damage booster, good luck surviving. An 800+ health spikey with 150 armor is pretty much unkillable when he comes along with a rain of skulls hitting for 50+ with or without a damage booster -- got to either wait for teleport/banish, or survive long enough for blunt to make him tolerable while spikes and what attacks you can afford get him. Sure, this part is lots of fun, but why does it take so long to get here?

So, on hard, its a longggg slog to get to the challenging part, and the challenging part is going to be pretty short no matter how your set-up. Yeah, you can do things to maximize your score, like take potions for xp (which is a LOT more levels and a LOT more points), and/or things to try and battle on past turn 1000, like making sure you have magic sword, but you wont live long when a 1300+ "The Boss" that hits for 160 is quickly followed by a Spikey followed by the guy that explodes in 5 turns all the while your spawning skulls that hit for 50+ each.

I dont necessarily mind it being that hard at turn 1000+, but it shouldnt take so long to get there, and be so easy to do it. The difficulty curve should be tweaked to be more challenging in the mid-game (early game is challenging).

Granted I have been playing hard this update (and didnt play at all last update) but I dont think one should have to play harder to have a challenge during the first few *hours* of play.

Just got to turn 1050 or so with adventurer based on teleport, collect shields + double shields skills. Unfortunately, I took disarm figuring I'd just be safe and unlock stuff. As a result, I only scored 40,000 points, whereas I would have scored a lot more with potions for xp in that slot, or potentially lived longer with magic sword.

18. misfortune121

misfortune121 New Member

Mar 21, 2011
  19. fireflame

fireflame Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2010
    #999 fireflame, Mar 24, 2011
    Alright, massive wall of replies follows, hopefully I'm covering all the important stuff, and I'll be submitting an update that fixes all the reported bugs (except the save corruption one, sorry :():

Yeah, LG's been a fantastic wellspring of ideas and support ever since the game was released way back when (I think he was the first to suggest special monsters?) but he's in no way affiliated with me professionally

I think someone answered this already, but yeah the 1 dmg on your old item is shown in green since that stat is superior to the one you're currently buying.

Yep, this is a pretty commonly reported problem, I'm still planning on adding a help button to most screens and a quick glossary of stats/mechanics somewhere

Love all the game modes people have been suggesting, I'll definitely be adding some of these quite soon :)

Happy to listen to and answer all gripes, I don't want to make a crap game as much as you don't want to play one

There's a set number of special monsters you have to kill, and this carries across multiple games, so you could play one long game and get a few unlocks or several short games to gradually work up to an unlock

Yep, the point of the current unlock system is to make you play to your strengths rather that go out of your way to grind unlocks. If you're good at Harder then you'll be able to unlock stuff faster that you would on Normal, just play on the difficulty that you prefer or can last a while on, and the unlocks will come

It absolutely does, and some people are reporting great results from using Big Game Hunter with the Changeling race (refill random skill when you kill a special enemy)

There are plans, and I'll be updating the current version into a universal app so you won't need to buy again!

Yeah, that one was way too good to pass up. My second favourite achievement's probably Brave Sir Robin, for all you Teleport lovers out there ;)

lol that looks awesome, should have a competition to see who can do the longest pretzel, I could barely do a 9 so I thought 10 would be too much for the achievement. Pretzel master as an alternative game mode? :p

Yep, this is a good idea

This one's actually not a bug :) If you look closely the last shield in your chain is actually a Mimic (the shield pattern is mirrored), and you'd have gotten an achievement for not matching him with other shields. This one's causing quite a stir with people saying "there were no skulls on the board but something was attacking me and I thought it was a bug but then I noticed the backwards coin"

Yep, all 75 achievements are GC & OF

I think maybe this one's due to your awesome skill, a lot of people are still saying Normal's too hard (and I've seen a few cases of "Easy's too hard"). Maybe we need a Hardest difficulty for you top-10 leaderboard people?

20. PallaZ

PallaZ Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    how can i gain a class level? beating special monster, yeah..but which? how many?
    the descriptions didn't help.
    can i change the perk/flaw of a class?
    how can i figure out, which spezial monster unlocks which class? is it random?
    and how can i unlock new races?