iPad Dungeon Raid (by Fireflame Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by freedog, Nov 15, 2010.

1. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, but Fireflame is reluctant to add a luck element, and has rejected critical hit chance for that same reason. While I would personally like these elements added to add more diversity in upgrade choices, Fireflame's position is obviously a reasonable one (even if I would vote differently).

2. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    The problem is that it can be a very long time before survival becomes hard again. I was playing a game a few days ago and at around level 130 it became essentially impossible for the skulls to hurt me. I played for a couple of hours and got to around level 300 and 69000 points. At around level 200, all of my special abilities were maxed out and I was just buffing my hit points and damage. Someone in this thread mentioned that it wasn't going to get hard until around 100,000 points. That meant a few more hours of grinding. So all and all it would have taken me 5 hours or so of just "harvesting" to get to the challenging time again. That's just too long.

What fundamental redesign do you think is needed? Just level up the skulls faster and drop more special monsters. If doesn't need a redesign at all. If FF is keeping the skull stats in a table, its just an update to the table.

The problem with that is that the harder mode has a steeper curve for the entire game. We are just asking for a steeper curve for the middle of the hard mode.

3. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Okay, I've been lurking for quite a while now, and I've finally been convinced to take the plunge.

I'm impressed with the passion that many users here seem to have for this title, and I also appreciate a developer who is enthusiastic enough to actively support his game and also mature enough not to passive-aggressively attack other games while doing so. A refreshing change from some other very active threads here ...

The final factor for me: the App Store reviews. Forty reviews, and 39 of them are 5-star! I've been using the App Store since the day it debuted, and I don't recall ever seeing such universal praise.

4. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Oh, I understand that I'm in the minority. I'm just saying it's a real problem/issue.
    I've only played the update a couple of times, so I'm still unsure about the Mimic's abilities...but doesn't it deal half of your HP in damage if you match it with other tiles of the same "look"? If so, that could be pretty gamebreaking for players with my issue.

5. kraivyne

kraivyne Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I got Dungeon Raid recently and I have to say I love it. I unlocked the barbarian and played my first game on medium with him, I am currently level 500 and a screen full on skulls does 10 damage to my armor, I do 700 skull damage and 100 weapon damage when the boss skulls have around 400 - 500 health. All spells are maxed out and I do about 80 damage in spike and heal about 50 a turn. Is it worth me going for the leaderboard score? Will it ever get harder or should I just start a new game on hard?

Thanks!

6. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    First of all great game Fireflame! It is very well done. I've finally finished reading through all the posts and I had some quick thoughts.

1) You are one of the best game developers I've ever seen. You really are doing a great job building up your community and taking people's suggestions

2) People are mentioning a lot of extra modes. I think that's all well and good but be careful not to make too many and make the game seem overly complicated (and the menus too bulky). Part of what i love about this game is how simple it is at first and how in depth it gets as you learn the system

3) For the mimics... maybe make them slightly wiggle every once in a while (on top of the reversed graphics). It only needs to be slight but it might make it more reasonable for people to notice.

4) I think the next big thing you should do is overhaul the special abilities. This past update added a ton of new content so now you should focus on polishing it before adding any more. Right now some of the abilities are quite useless...

5) I want to echo people's comments that a forget ability would be a very nice upgrade. Don't have it come too often but it'd add another layer of strategy and make some of the current bad skills useful. For example I'd take big game hunter early and then pitch it for a defensive ability at higher levels if i could.

Just a few thoughts. I hope they help but either way keep up the great work!

7. Hebug

Hebug Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2010
    One could argue the bonus mechanic is luck based. You don't know how much bonus you will get until you actually make the move. It's noticeable now because of the graphical representation of the expected potion/shield/xp gain. Oh well, I'll just avoid wasting upgrades on pierce %.

8. cameron331

cameron331 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    I play this game until my fingers feel like they are going to fall off or until I can't hold my arms up anymore lol. The new update is awesome, and I appreciate the community support on this game here as well. Let us know how it goes!

9. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    I was getting ready to go to bed last night and I stood up from my desk and started walking to my bedroom while playing it. I didn't want to wake my wife up, so I actually stood in the hallway for about 15 minutes doing "just one more turn". If I hadn't gotten killed, I might still be there.

10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I just downloaded it last night, and it kept me up until 4am. I just can't put it down. Every time I thought to myself "this is my last game" I would unlock a new class I had to try. Dangerously addictive...

11. Maxxonline

Maxxonline Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Newbie question here, I've played the game 4 times now. I did a search on this forum as well as a Google search and I couldn't find it. I did not read all 105 pages but I did read the first 5 and last 3.

Question - How do you use your spell? And how do you get new ones? I have the option to use the Adventurer or the Barbarian and I am unable to change starting spells with either, or for that matter use the spell it's given me in game. I must be missing something. Since the Adventurer has Teleport it would be nice to use it when i'm stuck with a bunch of skulls and no swords next to them.

And I guess as I play and die several more times it will unlock more slots I can change or add the Perks/Flaws to?

A little more on the tutorial would have been helpful. Also, it would be nice to see what level I am on the main page instead of having to hit STATS all the time.

Any help is appreciated. The game seems really fun and I have enjoyed the games i've played. I just need to understand how some of it works a little better.

And sorry if the question has been asked before, if it has I couldn't find it.

12. j2yueh

j2yueh Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I have to agree with SkyMuffin here. Mimic is cute, and the fact you can trace two types of items (sword+whatever mimic is doing) is kind of interesting. But I think ultimately it creates a need to be a lot more careful than necessary. Plus it doesn't really add a lot to the gaming experience.

For example, if I am playing in a brightly lit environment, or in a semi-dark environment where I need to keep my iphone dim (e.g. baby sleeping) I would not be pleased if mimic actually showed up.

Perhaps a "no mimic for the optically challenged" option could be useful.

13. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    You don't have to "cater" to the minority to avoid introducing elements that specifically make the game much less fun for certain groups who otherwise would have enjoyed it.

14. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    You don't get any starting spells/abilities. You only gain them when you level up and choose them.

15. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    This is obviously a lot different from a random chance of killing an enemy. If you don't kill the enemy, you might die that turn. If you get slightly fewer bonus shields, so you don't get your 200th equipment upgrade this turn but you have to wait until next turn, that's much less of a difference. Besides, in a "successful" game you end up with 100% bonus chance in everything, anyway.

16. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I don't think there is a level called Medium. There is Easy, Normal, Hard, and Harder.

If you are playing at Normal difficulty, then yes, eventually the game will get harder and you'll die. So playing to see what score you can get before then is very reasonable (in my opinion).

If you are playing at Easy difficulty then it might never get hard, so you maybe should just restart.

17. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    #1057 DaviddesJ, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    If you just want Hard mode to keep the current progression for the first few hundred turns, but then increase in difficulty faster than it does now, I don't really disagree with that.

The current game favors collections of skills that recharge quickly and increase the rate of leveling up, because increasing your power as rapidly as possible in the long middle-game is the most important thing. If you changed that progression then you might well see more diversity in the skills that would be playable, which would be a good thing. And I would be happy if a typical game took 2-3 hours instead of 5-6 hours, myself.

18. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It's already a good idea to set up chains that let you clear 30+ coins or shields at once. I don't think you need to reward this even more heavily.

19. FictionalCharacter

FictionalCharacter Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    just wanted to pop and and say thanks for the update. i'm loving it. been playing way too much today and will probably end up in trouble with the boss.

20. Maxxonline

Maxxonline Member

Sep 10, 2009
    So if that's the case, why on the character select screen/level select screen next to your characters face profile does it show a certain spell? For instance when you hit Edit and go into your stats my Adventurer has the spell Teleport (20). Why is that there if it's not a starting spell? Would seem to me you could pick a starting spell to help you out.