Universal Dungeon Scroll (by www.rtsoft.com)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by silentdante, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

Great game, love it

2. SurgE

SurgE Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Singapore
    woot, i got no.8 on the rankings :D

3. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    This game drains battery

4. Scott30

Scott30 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Ugh cant resist, love word games, love rpg elements in games although from what Im hearing its pretty basic rpg stuff hopefully the game gets updates and stuff. Still seems like a good deal for a buck.

The app store is really spitting out some good games lately definitely time for another card after a slow month or two.

5. ian1969uk

ian1969uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Don't they all? ;)

6. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Yeah, but this drains very disproportionately to the action on the screen. A word puzzler should not be gulping down the juice like an arcade or FPS title :(

I really like it, but can't really play it on the go for fear of seriously draining my iPhone battery.

I think the author himself acknowledged the fact that it's refreshing at 60FPS, as though it were an action title (unless that was sarcasm, my internet sarcasm meter has been broken lately :D).

My suggestion would be- If you're really doing a continuous 60 frames per second refresh of the screen, stop! Cut back to a max of 30 when there is action taking place. And when the user is not moving a tile or the monster is not attacking... throttle the frame rate down to 1.0 FPS. I think with some simple optimizations like that you'll get a dramatic increase in battery life on this game. :)

7. lawblob

lawblob Member

Jul 6, 2009
    lawyer
    NY
    Great game, but the battery usage is definitely a problem. Hopefully it can get fixed in a patch.

8. NRunner

NRunner Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    This battery problem has me thinking... I will wait until it is fixed before I buy! :]

9. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Something sounds more wrong with your phone. No denying that this app may chew up faster than others, but I'm not experiencing 20% in 5 minutes. I played this probably for close to 3 hours last night ( on and off)

10. Shatner's hairpiece

Shatner's hairpiece Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2009

Nothing wrong with the itouch. As I said, I have many other games and none affect the battery drain like this one does. Also, it's is confirmed by many others that there is a battery problem. Again, this morning, started a game at 35% remaining. Short five minute game of 3 levels, down to 15%. This game needs serious optimization. I have ordered a 'just mobile gum pro' 4400 mah charger. I will have to be hooked up to that while I'm playing dungeon scroll in order to get some decent playtime as the charger will charge the phone while I play, so with that giving at least 3 charges, I should be able to get almost an hour of play time while hooked up to it. The charger is $60. Originally, I bought the charger for playing zenonia for extended periods of over 3 hours before a charge, but it's going to be especially handy for 'dungeon scroll'. Maybe it will let me get to dungeon ten!

Maybe the designer can do some cross promo advertising with 'gum pro' charger, as it will be a needed accessory for this game until battery drain issue is fixed. I love the gameplay, but if this kind of battery drain problem was inherent to itouch games in general, I'd be seeing it a lot more. It's not. It's a design problem, and until it's fixed, this game should be free.

11. gtcharlie

gtcharlie Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    This game is a lot of fun. Very easy to lose track of time and just keep playing. Unfortunately I have to agree about battery usage. It seems very steep given what the game is. Hopefully that can be corrected in a future update. Integrate the dungeon aspect a little more and you have a real winner. I do get quite a kick out of the things you find at the end of each dungeon.

12. INCyr

INCyr Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I agree that the dungeon part needs to be integrated into it a bit more. Just a simple movement scheme with the possibility of finding treasure while exploring would make this game absolutely amazing. Maybe make the regular bonus tiles the loot after (regular) monsters, while the extra damage tiles you get by exploring? (Or vice versa)

13. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Having the dungeons be a bit more thematic in nature would help, too.

14. krazyfingerzz

krazyfingerzz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Net Admin/Professor/I play with gadgets!
    no problems here

Great especially for the price. It's kind of like Bookworm Adventures...slaying monsters with words. I've been playing on and off all day and while it does use battery life, I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary. My only complaint was getting to levels with no more words possible but I guess I should have kept a refresh tile. I was number three...I want number one...I really like this a lot and am glad I saw albieone's review or I would have never found this!

15. chris1215

chris1215 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    This is absolutely fantastic. Such a fresh twist on the word game genre. I'm loving it

16. nuttyturnip

nuttyturnip Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Great game, especially for the price. My one complaint so far is the lack of quick erase button. In Textropolis, for example, if you started to type a word that ended up not working, you could press the back arrow to quickly put your letters back in the pile. In a timed game such as this, the lack of a feature like that is brutal.

Also, since when is "wimp" not a word?

17. IKnowHow2Fly

IKnowHow2Fly Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2009
    About to pick this one up, seems great!

18. Erase would be a nice options, as would the ability to reorganize the tiles below so there aren't all those gaps when you use special tiles. It'd be nice if they condensed to eliminate the spaces automatically.

19. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Dungeon Scroll is now the #95 Top Game with a 4.5 average rating.

20. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009

You can hit "submit" to clear all the letters quickly, even though a legitimate word wasn't entered.