E3 Hype Thread - News, Leaks and Rumors

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Gryphon, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Interesting thing, it seems retro has one more game to be revealed but that might wait for another Nintendo Direct.

2. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
  3. Gryphon

Feb 24, 2012
  4. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    My grade for the conferences I've seen:

Microsoft: B-; Really bounced back from the backstabbing that was their Xbox One reveal, as they focused completely on the games, and most of the games were gorgeous and caught my attention. Titanfall, Crimson Dragon, Metal Gear Solid V, and Project Spark are the biggest ones to me.

EA: B; Hilarious plot twist of an intro (looked like Battlefield, but was really Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare haha), some awesome games, and overall a very well-done conference.

Sony: F-------------------; God-awful conference. Firing on all boring cylinders, this was legitimately the most tedious and boring E3 press conference I've ever witnessed. It killed all hype I had for the PS4, they completely glossed over the Vita, and nothing about the conference stuck out to me as extraordinary. The only positive things were Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III... but guess what? They're coming to the Xbox One, too, so there's officially nothing special about Sony's conference.

Jack Tretton took some very blatant potshots at the Xbox One for the used games and DRM, but since the conference was such a failure, I think it came off more as immature and stupid, and less commendable.

Ubisoft: B; Aisha Tyler is a terribly unfunny comedian (such a shame, since I love her on Archer), but the stuff they showed at this conference was very neat, and they had a couple interesting surprises, to be sure. The Division definitely looks interesting!

Nintendo Direct: ?; No idea. Boring as always, not very interesting, but the games looked great. It did stop me from selling my Wii U, as they announced Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze! :D :D :D Sequel to my favorite Wii game which was in itself a reboot of my favorite game series? Yes PLEASE! Finally, my Wii U can rise from the grave of dust and failure, to be played once more... for the epic sequel to the best damn Wii game ever made <3 :)
    -----

Shocking, really... I went into E3 wanting to hate Microsoft and love Sony, but I have no flipped sides completely. Sony failed miserably. Microsoft rose from the ashes. I still don't think I'll be buying either system in the near-future, but I'm more excited at the prospect of buying the Xbox One rather than the PS4 at this point. This whole generation seems like it will go down as one massive failure, though... the Wii U started us off brilliantly with one of the biggest Nintendo flops ever, and now we stand on the shoulders of Microsoft and Sony to hopefully not further suffocate us into submission with their piledriver gimmickgasm.

5. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    I disagree on your grade for sony cheify.
    They annouced cool games, they pretty much hit crits all on xbox and they caused cheers all around with an affordable console.
    Besides,
    Your username shows a clear bias.
    Microsoft's exclusives looked meh.
    The gameplay vid killed that rome game.
    The price is higher than sony.
    And its still restrictive.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Keep saying this stuff so I don't have to. It gets tiring being the bad guy all the time.

7. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    A username is a name for a user. It doesn't demonstrate any bias on my account. In fact, I'm more of a Nintendo fanboy, personally.

Which cool games did Sony announce? Hm? The Order? Kingdom Hearts III? Final Fantasy XV? The last two were super surprises, but they're also multiplatform, which Sony conveniently forgot to mention. The Order looks quite boring, but okay.

Yeah, Ryse looks stupid. It looks like Microsoft's answer to a console version of Hero of Sparta, which was in itself a portable ripoff of God of War, made by the ripoff developer to end all ripoff developers.

Other than Ryse and the EA sports crap, I enjoyed all the games at Microsoft's conference. Project Spark, Crimson Dragon, Titan Fall.. the gameplay for Metal Gear Solid V. I mean, damn. They got my attention for sure.

The price is higher than the PS4, but the PS4 also lacks a camera. That will probably be $60 or $70, but okay. The price is less. But the fact is that the new consoles are both exorbitantly-priced.

I am not a Microsoft fanboy by any means. Nice job trying to grasp at straws to undercut the integrity of my post, though. Commendable effort. I went into E3 wanting to hate Microsoft and love Sony, and I came out the opposite. I mock Microsoft on a daily basis... I really don't like them at all. I loved Halo at the time I made my name on my first Xbox Live account back in November 2002, but now it's just a name that I love and I don't want to change :)

As I think I said, too, Jack Tretton sending off those pot shots at Microsoft would have been a great moment, but the rest of the conference was so damn boring and filled with failure that it came off as stupid and immature. It was the most boring and awkward conference I've ever seen at E3, and I saw Microsoft's Kinect reveal and Nintendo's... everything!

I prefer my PS3 to my Xbox 360 in every way. But the PS4, after that conference, is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not saying I will go out and buy the Xbox One the first moment it hits the shelves... I'm just saying that whenever I decide to hop on the next-gen train for systems that aren't called the Wii U, I am more in line to buy the Xbox One before the PS4, at this moment in time.

Project Spark looks like a beautiful tweaking of LittleBigPlanet, Crimson Dragon is the Panzer Dragoon return I've been waiting for, the gimmicks of the One sound like they're at least well-made and responsive (unlike the trash Kinect we have now)... And about the restrictions: I understand it's stupid to restrict the things they are restricting, but I don't think people are thinking rationally about it. It's a case of people not realizing that the only thing wrong with the restrictions is that they know about the restrictions. If Microsoft never announced anything about these restrictions, people probably wouldn't notice. It's a console designed to be played online, so obviously the people that play it only offline will be sad pandas, but at this point in time, the internet reigns, and 99% of people that have the Xbox 360 are already hooked up to online.

Checking in every 24 hours? Stupid, but guess what? It won't affect you if you already have your 360 hooked up to Live constantly. I turn it on, it's online, boom... If the internet goes out, that will suck, yes.

What I'm trying to get at is that now that people KNOW there are restrictions, they want the restrictions taken off... but in most cases, the restrictions won't affect anyone

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    #128 MidianGTX, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    Y'know what, I'll pitch in, 'cause I feel like there's some logic being missed here.

To me, it's not so much about the individual restrictions. It's about the fact they're there in the first place. Forget what each one is, just think about what kind of mindset a company must be in to impose them. Microsoft were thinking about nothing but money, and how they can take more of it from us. Their console is less powerful and more expensive, and still they want more control over what you do with your wallet, especially when it comes to the used-game marketplace. I saw this coming years ago, as soon as they started messing with the dashboard on the Xbox 360. Now I get to be smug about it, 'cause I totally called it and now it's happening, hardcore.

This paints a nasty picture of a company that doesn't particularly care whether or not your experience is getting better, provided you'll accept it and pay for it. They made games their second priority and in doing so, also made gamers their second priority.

In contrast, Sony have been listening to what gamers want. They've picked up on what people don't like about the Xbox One and made solid attempts to assure us we won't be affected if we buy their product. Not only that, but there's a pretty good chance multiplatform games will run better on the PS4, that thing is a beast and clearly took MS by surprise.

If you go with Microsoft, you're going with a company which is going to continue to look for more and more ways to sneak advertisements and premium services into your console experience. If you go with Sony, you're going with a company who wants to make gaming twice as awesome as it used to be.

The games showcased at E3 are an incredibly small representation of what the consoles are going to offer over their lifetimes. Give it a few years and you'll be picking from hundreds of different titles, so resting your experience with all of those on the 2-3 games you're looking at right now (and still know practically nothing about) isn't exactly the best way to do things.

As for the PS4's camera... just don't buy it. It's not included because it's not mandatory and a lot of those games suck anyway. It's the hi-tech equivalent of a dance mat.

Final note: The PS4 appears to be absolutely crushing the Xbox One in practically every vote held cross the entire internet. It's going to sell huge numbers, and Sony are going to reap huge profits. With huge profits come more benefits for the player. More exclusives and better services. Right now, it appears the Xbox One community is going to be a fairly lonely place... and damn, those guys are sounding desperate. Do you really want to be part of that?

9. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    We're bad guys?

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #130 awp69, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    I agree with the price and restrictions. Honestly those could be the two things that give Sony the big advantage over the MS.

But as far as games go, I'd still say MS had a better presentation (and I owned both the PS3 and 360 so I don't really feel biased). Frankly, it was embarrassing that on at least two game demos (think it was actually three) that the games froze at times on the PS4. I understand, of course, that kinks like that will be fixed prior to release, but it didn't look good.

I you take out the used game, always online and price points, MS would have won E3 IMO. But those are three pretty big things - two of which have received a lot of backlash.

It'll be interesting to see if MS sticks to it's guns in the restrictiveness of the Xbox One.

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Sometimes the correct opinion is not the popular one.

But really I just meant I argue a lot. I prefer to call it debate and try not to make it personal, but it really seems to annoy some people.

12. Gryphon

Feb 24, 2012
    So apparently there are two more Nintendo directs. One Saturday and one sunday

13. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Where did you read this?

14. Gryphon

Feb 24, 2012
    I was told this on twitter by a user named @casterpunk when I asked if there were more directs coming.

15. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    #135 K.D!, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    Yeah, I'd probably ignore that if I was you. I know Nintendo have announced their Directs to us a day or two before their showing in the past, but I've heard nothing from any 'credible' source that there'll be more this weekend.

EDIT: This juicy nugget from Shigeru Miyamoto comes courtesy of Game Informer:

According to series creator Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo's new Zelda game for the Wii U is coming along nicely -- and was nearly shown at this year's E3.

We just spoke with Mr. Miyamoto about many of Nintendo's upcoming games, including Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World, but when when we asked about a new original Zelda game for Wii U (which has been rumored to be out in 2014) he said that the game is farther along that many thought. Actually, the company had considered showing the game at this year's E3.

Miyamoto said, "We're also working on a new Wii U Zelda game. Work on that is progressing fairly concretely. In fact, we were thinking about showing it here at E3 but decided to wait just a little bit longer before sharing it with everyone."

Man I wish they'd shown it! Well, at least it seems like it's further along than initially believed.

16. Gryphon

Feb 24, 2012
    Also this

Nintendo Sushi ‏@NintendoSushi 46m
    Nintendo Directs apparently coming Saturday & Sunday!

they run this site

http://nintendo-sushi.com/

17. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Got it.

18. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    In other news, not wanting to be out done by Ubisoft, Square-Enix confirms that the Wii U exclusive 'Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Directors Cut' is now also coming to PS3, Xbox360, PC and Mac. Man, I don't really care that it's coming to other platforms (I own a Wii U and PS3) but I can't stand it when devs flat out DENY that their exclusives won't stay that way, and then back track. Square-Enix stated themselves that it absolutely won't be releasing on other platforms (like Ubisoft with Rayman)....... and then change their mind.

19. Gryphon

Feb 24, 2012
    Big news for the DKC game

David Wise is returning to score the game!

20. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009