iPhone Elder Sign: Omens HD By Fantasy Flight Games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Ithaqua campaign

So I almost made it through, lone Mark Harrigan died in the final battle.
    His only companion, Joe Diamond, perished somewhere in the wilds of Alaska, but Mark pressed on anyways.

NOTES:
    - You will need at least 20 supplies, 25-30 is even better. I reached the last battle with 0 supplies left.
    - Bring *alot* of clue tokens and other stuff like red/yellow glyphs to the last battle. Without spoilering too much, I can say that it is 3 battles in a row, that get harder ( I failed at the second battle). 2x red/yellow glyphs, and 4+ clues should cover it.
    - Using only 2 investigators felt significantly easier than going in with the full complement of 4. However, as my 2nd one died quite early, 3 sounds like a good choice.
    - You cannot buy Elder Signs in Alaska. Instead you have to rely on winning them through adventures.
    - You get more snowstorms the farther you progress. I had 3 or 4 on the map before the last battle.
    - Mark wasn't that good a choice, as adventures with numbered tasks become less frequent in Alaska.
    - I saw enough Otherworld adventures to consider bringing Gloria Goldberg along.

Also, a question:
    Is there another way to get a second investigator into an adventure, aside from having this investigator fail it earlier? For some of the adventures, having a second storage slot for glyphs would be really handy.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm hearing from multiple sources (BGG and the FF forums) that the mystery investigator unlocked from completing the new campaign is not working. You'll get the appropriate unlock message at the end of the campaign but the investigator will still be locked and unselectable.

3. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Holy cats! As brutal as that campaign is, I'd go crazy if I finally rescued her and it didn't work.

4. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, not nice but I'm willing to bet the game still records this event as happening somewhere in the background so hopefully you'd have her as soon as the fix went live...but who knows. :eek:

5. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Well you could always make a Sanity check! Sorry, old school pen and paper Call of Cthulhu player here, couldn't resist the reference!

6. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Hi!
    I'm about to buy the game, but I saw it's not Universal (sadly...I do not mind a higher price but I really wish it was Univerdal).
    I have both an iPhone 4S and the new iPad.
    Where the game is better?
    I think I'll go with iPad...but I do not know if there is async gaming planned (in that case I would prefer the iPhone version...even if seems a bit tiny to me).
    Also...how long is a game generally?

Many thanks!!!

7. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    As far as I know there will not be async gaming. I still don't have this game because it's not Universal, and it never went on sale neither. But if I should go for a version I would say go for the iPhone version, and try to play more complex game in your iPad (Aliens frontiers, Qin...)

8. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Thanks, but it's too late...bought on iPad :)

9. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Well I feel really stupid to have waited so much before buying.
    I've been literally sucked in.
    Not only the game technically is simply superb, I'm loving the gameplay too.
    I didn't really understood the gameplay watching videos and reading comments, but after being hopelessly killed and made mad by the various encounters I'm really loving it (winning is another story).
    I think I'll buy the expansions for sure.

Great game, really.

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Something that took me a while to catch onto, the yellow glyph has no terror symbols (the tentacled horror thingy). It replaces that symbol with a special Investigation 4 (great if trying to knock down a lot of big investigation totals). The red glyph also has no Terror symbol but instead replaces that with a wildcard symbol that at least can still be used as a Terror symbol.

So if doing an investigation that requires a terror glyph, don't even count on a yellow glyph to save the day!

11. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Thanks!
    I understood that red and yellow increased possibilities versus certain types of glyphs but had really no clue about which ones exactly.
    Also I understood how important is equipment...and I really love it...feel almost like a RPG sometimes and I really felt genius when, using the equipment, I was able to 'solve a quest' against the odds and bad luck (which is a factor in the game, but you can manipulate the odds with the right tools).

It's really brutally difficult, as soon as I SEEM to make progress, monster and nasty events start to appear everywhere :p
    Loving it.

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Also counter-intuitive is that less can be more. Try a game with just Jenny Barnes and see if your luck changes a bit.

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    As a matter of fact, I'm having more success with my last man standing.

14. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    Has anyone here double dipped? I'm in a major quandary I play more games on iPhone but like playing board games on iPad. It the iPhone version hard to see/play in comparison? Anyone who has both versions, which do you play more?
    Thanks in advance of any responses :D

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #115 LordGek, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    I did way back with the original when I had no clue there would be an iPad version to follow only a few days later. It really is the identical game and nearly identical interface on both so I think it really just boils down to which device you play most of your games on. Do you need your Elder Sign fixes on the road (iPhone) or while kicking back at home (iPad)? I personally have switched over to the iPad version and never looked back BUT found the iPhone version a solid offering back in the day with no noticeable disadvantages. While I might be wrong, I don't even think they changed the interface in any noticeable way to take advantage of the iPad's greater real estate. I'm also not 100% sure it is iPad Retina enabled, but it still looks darn sharp if not. I might have still played the iPhone version from time to time, but once the expansions came out I couldn't see continuing to support both devices separately.

16. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nope. Been buying the iPhone IAP since that's where I can play most of the time.

If they made the HD version universal, I'd buy it and all future IAPs, no questions asked.

17. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    YESSSSSSSSS!!!!
    Won at my second game!!!! (Normal)

I felt like a true hero...tried to amass useful objects and solve 'quests' with the right member, despite some very unlucky glyphs.

AMAZING GAME.
    Time to try a harder difficulty...next step, expansions!!!

18. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Yeah, things can change around so easily. I was playing a game last night and losing considerably (I think I had maybe a couple elder signs vs 7 dooms) and within a few turns I caught up. I got on a role and ended up winning (appropriately in the Elder Sign quest too). This was against the new free elder - the sloth guy. He just spits up beasts everywhere! At one point, I had multiple quests that had 3 monsters in them, making for 5 tasks to complete each - crazy!

I haven't yet bought the new expansion - is it harder or easier than Cthulhu? I still haven't beaten him yet - came pretty close twice (both times got access to ry'leh but only got 2 of the 3 items and then lost the last of my investigators). Beaten all the others so far, but man Cthulhu is hard! I also haven't tried playing with less than 4 investigators - I'll have to try that.

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Seriously, try Cthulhu with just Jenny Barnes! While I hadn't won with her yet, I've gotten very close!

20. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Hi!
    I've completed 3 full games against Yig (the easiest difficulty) and won 1.
    Enjoyed every second of the game...I already read about the expansion and will buy without any doubts, after I'll complete the 'vanilla' game.
    I read the whole manual (now I'm at work tough) and I have some questions to the vets, if I may.

1) As far as I understand, the 'discard then declare fail' rule is a new one, right?
    What discarding exactely means?
    Normally, when I discard I just narrow my chances of the right glyph for the next glyph conjuring...when the whole 'quest' is over I thought everything reset....am I wrong?
    Should I pay attention to what I discard, even if I win the encounter?

2) The only mechanic I didn't clearily understood (or so I think) is the 'save this glyph for later' thing.
    How exactely does it work?
    If I, let's say, give a parchment glyph to someone...will he have it permanently forever for the game till the end?

3) I started a 4 game and now my glyph book 'lacks' the first slot (it is always empy..so I have 1 glyph chance less)....why?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but these are the main ones I'm thinking about while impatinently waiting to be able to play again.

Thanks!