iPad Elemental Rage - (by Oniric Games) +lite Out Now

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 20, 2011.

1. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    ....and i can say it doesnt. pretty cool how opinions work.

2. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    To be fair, I never said you were wrong for believing so.:)

3. jasonc506

jasonc506 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    I was part of the beta and can say this game is good. It has a lot of polish, graphics are very sharp, and controls work better than a lot of platformers. Also a lot of people complaining about the length have obviously not played the Metroid games then (they only take about 4-5 unless you want to collect everything)

4. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Yeah, the style/looks of the game do not do it for me. From watching the video the game did not look to special. I hope I am wrong and the dev team makes good money, but does not look tempting for me.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    There is, of course, a difference between informed and uninformed opinion.

As those who have actually played the game know, jump isn't "floaty." You simply have control of the height of the jump (by holding down the button). If you want to so short, quick hops, just tap the button. Obviously that won't get you to the out-of-way platforms.

The art direction is what it is, and you have every right to dislike it. The game definitely does not have the level of detail that you find in Symphony of the Night, but I have to say that the pared down style is consistent with the character design. Where you find the real complexity is where it shoud be -- in the massive level design.

The fact is, there's nothing quite like Elemental Fury in the app store.

6. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I've been playing for about an hour now and can say there's not much
    like it on the app store. "Floaty" is a very incorrect assumption.
    It's a silky smooth platformer very much in vein of metroid/zelda.

The graphics are crisp looking on Retina Display.
    The controls are spot on. The music is good.

So far I've obtained double jump and powered up my weapon a few times.
    When you get hit, your weapon powers down, similar to zelda. The castle
    map works well and I've been able to progress without problems.

I'm very glad I got this. It feels polished and as I said earlier, the app store
    soarly needs more games like this. :cool:

7. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Wow ! Just played and I have to say this game feels as epic as Zelda ! I know it's more Metroid but the atmosphere reminds me of Zelda. The game is epic and so much better than you can tell from the video.

I take great pleasure in the fact that the trolls who are hating on this without trying it are missing out on a great game. It's great that they will never realise how wrong they are ! Let's hope they choke on that burger they get instead so we don't have to read their puerile nonsense in the forum anymore !

To everyone who is playing this - well done for having great taste in games (and luckily it's so cheap I can buy a burger as well)

8. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    #28 nesio718, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
    Is it that serious? Calling people trolls and hoping they choke on burgers?? This Internet anonymity sure does bring out the best in people....:rolleyes:

9. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #29 bigred447uk, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2011
    I would say it to your face too. It's your oh so clever attitude and sense of self importance whilst making ill-informed comments that is a waste of space in this forum. I feel sorry for you more than anything.

Back on topic though. This game rocks. I'm enjoying more than any of tonights other releases including S&S. The sound is great. The game oozes atmosphere.

10. Creepshow

Feb 10, 2011
    The only part I'm not liking is how I can't keep power-ups longer than
    five seconds. You get hit, you lose em. That's really crappy as it's very
    easy to get hit. Other than that, this game is pretty awesome!

Once I get power-ups, I wanna keep em, but I guess that's where the
    zelda-esque comparison comes in. One minute link can throw the sword,
    get hit and he can't anymore. Same thing here, but when link is full health
    he can throw the sword again. That's not the case here, you need to hope
    power ups drop again and they don't drop too often.

I guess that makes the game extra challenging.
    Want to maintain uber-ness? Then don't get hit!

11. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Anyone try this on an iPad? Since the iPhone version is cheaper, I may just pick it up as long as there isn't an issue with the button size or placement.

12. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

Wow, this really got a bit out of hand, didn't it? Back on topic: Elemental Rage is out in the US! :) Get it now!

If it helps you decide, controls can be rearranged in both versions as you see fit. Personally, I think the iPad version is more comfortable, but none of our testers have complained about the iPhone controls; most actually compliment them! I hope someone else posts about this so you get a more impartial opinion :)

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Again, you can say what you want about the art style -- that's a matter of taste. But you are wrong about the jumping: it may look "floaty" to you (as in vague and uncontrolled), but it simply isn't, as pretty much everyone who has actually played the game has stated.

14. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Ok, i thought the jumping looked bad from the trailer, but after playing you can count me with the people who consider it just right, in fact the controls are very tight. I also wasnt a big fan of the art style in the trailer, but it has grown on me very quickly(ive only played a bit so far).

What i dont really like, is the--so far--bland nature of the castle, someone earlier mentioned the lack of parralax scrolling, which does kind of set it back,(at least in the early early stage of the game)as some added depth and detail to the enviroments and rooms in metroidvanias is SUPER important for me, i need to first off want to explore this castle, and secondly i want to be able to remember rooms later. Another minor gripe is the lack of animation or feedback when yoy get hit by spikes, it just sort of flashes transparent a second. I like a bit of jump back, and either animation, or at least habe the character flash red.

What i do like, so far, is the music and atmosphere, which is spot on. Also the pacing of the story and writing is a notch above other iOS titles. Platforming and level design is also quite satisfying, timed jumps off moving platforms are required, and it isnt frustrating at all(so far).

Good job on the game!

15. Creepshow

Feb 10, 2011
    Played some other games, came back and wow really noticed
    how crisp the Retina visuals are on an iPhone4. The video or
    pics really don't do this game justice.

If people are debating or questioning the controls, just stop.
    They're flawless and spot on. Platforming feels so natural with
    excellent responsiveness. The story is starting to pick up and
    the music fits perfectly. This game is worth every penny.

If you like platformers and own a 4th gen device, prepare to
    be blown away. Really Artcoder, very nice job on this one!

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I love platform games, been a few hit and miss ones on the ipod which looked great but didnt always play well or were boring.

Bought this last night and really enjoying it, i'm glad you can control the jumping by moving left or right when youre in the air.

Yeah i agree so far (i'm on the early stages) its much of the same with the castle but i remember seeing on the youtube video some pretty different levels i presume are later.

I like the way you can resume from various spots instead of starting a level all the way from the beginning.

For me personally i'm really enjoying this (Storm in a teacup is the other one i'm really looking forward to).

For me worth the money, nice game

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    You simply can't judge Elemental Rage until you've seen it on a retina display and actually played it. I'm about 5 minutes in, and all I can say is that the controls are f***ing buttery smooth and I've yet to see a game THIS crisp on a retina display.

18. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Controls great on ipad. As was said, you can move the buttons around anywhere on the screen and they are the perfect size for me. You can also make the buttons invisible if you want.

19. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    I agree. It controls and looks great. Fun game and a little more mone than i like but well worth it and glad i bought it.

20. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the great comments! Glad to know you guys are enjoying our game :)

If you're having a good time, I'd like to ask that you take a few minutes to leave a review (or even just a rating) on iTunes. That'll mean a lot to us. Thanks!