Universal Elements Defender (Universal app by iJoy Group)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ivanmacheung, Dec 17, 2012.

1. ivanmacheung

ivanmacheung Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2012
    :D:D Glad to hear that you like the game. The game is powered our self-made engine. After you try the game, any comments is highly appreciated.

And to support our start-up studio, it would be great if you could leave some impression on the game in this forum and app store.:cool::cool:

2. ivanmacheung

Jun 15, 2012
    Thank you Trev. Happy to meet you here and have you be the first one to try Elements Defender in this forum. Thank you for spreading good words about ED and we will work really hard on the future updates.

Adding more characters sounds an amazing idea. :D:D

3. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    Great game so far!!! The only thing i hate is the gems a.k.a. Premium currency.. The strongest staff can only obtained by gems (150) so i must play 1200 minutes to get that (bossting my 30 gems) i'd like to suggest increasing the gem drop rates, or eliminating the premium currency and only depends on gold..

4. ivanmacheung

Jun 15, 2012
    Hi Chaos envoys. Thank you for giving Elements Defender a try. We will adjust the iap in the future updates.

Would love to hear more feedback from you. :p If you really love the game, please rate us and your rating will cheer us up and bring more free updates.:D:D

5. ivanmacheung

Jun 15, 2012
    :(:( Sorry about that. Due to the memory problem, iPhone 4 running iOS 5.# and iOS 6 may cause crashes.

BUT it can run on iphone 4 running iOS4.3.:):)

6. NoThru22

NoThru22 Well-Known Member

If you are doing an Android version, you should really port it to Playstation Mobile so I can play this on my Vita. :D

It would make up for the liars at Trendy cancelling the Vita version of Dungeon Defenders.

7. ivanmacheung

Jun 15, 2012
    Yep. We are almost done doing the Android version. Will discuss with the team about porting it to the playstation mobile.

8. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #68 Bool Zero, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
    Boy, I feel like I am coming in as a naysayer with all the praise going on here, but I feel some concerns should be addressed.

What are the main differences between the paid version and the free? I was going to just buy the paid version from the screens but I listened to that little voice telling me to try the free version first and now I am somewhat glad. While the game looks great and plays well enough, it seems a little too heavily slanted towards the in game gold and such for my taste. This is a visually appealing game and pretty fun! With that said, I have some issues with it...

I only played a few levels but felt constantly underpowered and overwhelmed (somewhat bad pacing IMO at the very start of a game) and the hit damage seemed odd, taking slivers off with some attacks and good fair amounts with the same in other occasions. I definitely mixed it up with the spells and was learning what spells to use on what enemies and in what situations (not just randomly complaining here, I put my theory to test) but the damage always seemed so inconsistent. Maybe it is just me but it felt like I hit the difficulty wall very early, and very little seemed explained as to what which traps did what (easy enough to figure out but it still should be explained a little better). That's okay in a game with no slant towards IAP, but this difficulty seemed geared heavily toward pushing a player to it. It makes me concerned as to what I would be getting if I bought the game, and the 10 Crystals every so many minutes thing in the premium version kind of reaffirms my concerns as to how slanted this game may be toward it. That being a "benefit" of the paid version doesn't feel like a good indication for me...

Also, the traps seem very underpowered to me to be only one use and to necessitate gold so heavily. I almost feel like if I bought this I'd be buying a game that was heavily pushing the freemium model at a premium price. Let it be said that I like the game; I just feel the damage rates and difficulty feel inconsistent. Grinding s expected in any game to pad it, but there seems a degree in which it is acceptable and pushing a line. I can see this game crossing that line at later levels just to survive later levels.

Another issue I have is the ads popping up at random times at the bottom of the screen on the free version, right over your toolbar of traps! Sometimes it will do it between rounds but there were several occasions where it popped up during a wave when I needed to use it, which is hindering to the gameplay. Just as forewarning, this may turn off some gamers who want to try your game and then inadvertently hit an ad because of the poorly placed ad banner that pops up at inconvenient times. While mildly annoying to me, I am sure there are other gamers who wouldn't be as forgiving...

Lastly, I agree with the comment about adding more character classes. The game needs some diversity in gameplay that could be brought in with different classes with different skill sets, powers, defenses, stats and abilities. A Fighter/Barbarian type with melee, group cleaving, defensive and rushing skills and a Ranger/Rogue/Archer type with ranged attacks, split attacks, pinning attacks, dazing attacks and such seems about right for the style of gameplay!

I may still pick this up (I will wait to see what hits Wednesday night and post back) as it has potential and there is a lot to like here, but I have my concerns about the things mentioned...

9. ivanmacheung

Jun 15, 2012
    Wow. First of all, I have to say Thank You. Bool Zero. Thank you for helping us make the game better. Since we are start-up studio and don't have much experience in making such kind of game. We know you have concerns about the instruction, the hit damage rate and the iap setting, more characters. Will definately add more instruction and adjust the hit damage rate and do sth about the iap in the future updates.

We always love to hear people's advice because we believe that will make the game more awesome. Will discuss with the team and any comments is always highly appreciated.

What do you mean about the Wednesday night?? whether being featured by Apple?

10. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I can't speak for bool but I know what the answer will most likely be.

Is mainly because Wednesday night/Thursday most of the big name games come out. Most people from touch will check the app store and that can have an impact on initial sales because of greater exposure for new apps.

I know this because I feel the same for waiting on Thursday. There are at least two other games that are going to be extremely popular this week and people will want to know how much they cost first.

Could buy this now but to find out the hyped games can't be gotten later if they are expensive is the problem.

I know this, because I feel the same way too.

24/48 hours is a wait but best to be patient.

I don't think you will be featured by apple though, 90% of the time they allways feature releases on the day of release wed/thurs.

Exposure releasing on thursday can be massive.

I can tell you that ravensword 2 is the game most likely to be featured by apple and will probably steal the show this week.

That's it just about summed up.

11. ivanmacheung

Jun 15, 2012
    Thank you for your explaining visionwebs. I somewhat agree with you. We also call it 'Amazing Thursday' here. We intended to release it on this Thursaday. BUT second thoughts on the holiday break and the fact that we are just unknown studio, the chance that be featured by Apple is very slim. So we released it yesterday.
    And ravenwoods 2, yes, is most likely to get featured since Crescentmoon is busying putting ravenwoods1 on sale and winning gamer's eyeball and it is easy for people to expect the 2nd one. Crescent Moon's title are always great.

12. Cg2005

Cg2005 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    DC
    I went ahead and got the paid version and feel as though that this game is very good. To a degree, it reminds me of Dungeon Defenders, but there are things that I like about it more such as avoiding the need to manage so much loot as well as having a better camera perspective (in my opinion.) That being said, I do agree with Bool on a certain things. The issues being different classes such as warrior, archer, rogue, etc. that could be introduced as well as potential IAP "walls" that may arise. However, I think that it's great that the paid version does get rid of the ads as well as supplying crystals every so often, which definitely helps and makes it feel more balanced than the free version.

I have to say that for a start-up company, this is a very good accomplishment and it should be something that you all are proud of.

13. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Here are some of my ideas after playing the game more,
    I don't expect they will be implemented but one can hope :)

- COOP
    This would expand the longevity of the game in itself 500 fold,being able to group with other people, even if it's only one person at max means I can help people with their game if they are stuck (something I would like to do). It also means that I can see how other people play the game and learn from their skill or lack of it. It means that I won't feel like I'm fighting a million enemies on my own and could get further in the survival games!

- update and expand rather than push out new
    You could just skip doing anything to this game and push out a brand new one with new features, but in my opinion that would spoil the freshness of the game engine you have made. If you were to implement expansions for an agreeable IAP cost and let people with different expansions still quest with each other to a limited capacity this game would survive well on the app store for a good year or two.

- tactical bosses
    I have come across strong enemies but I'm talking about actual strong bosses that come alone in their own wave, which take skill to take down. Perhaps they could come in a coop only mode or at the very end of the last mission in each zone. Perhaps one boss could throw out an aoe fire blast every 15 seconds that needs to be run away from or a long string of ice that goes to the end of the map from the boss so you have to get away from its face as it spins around.

- rune drops
    The item drops are nice as they are but if you add in a new type of gear to the players character and call them runes, perhaps runes could drop from bosses and you can wear them to give advantages, like attack speed, defence or something.

-hats!
    COME ON HATS!!!! Add two or three hats for 69p which look different and do cool thigs, make them give benefits like the hats do in Junk Jack. Nothing game breaking but good value... One hat with two pointy bits on top, one hat like a crown, a jester hat.... Hats hats hats!

These should come along with a restore purchases button...

- ICloud save
    Automatic I could saves fail and they fail HARD more often than not. But MANUAL iCloud saves are very good and have benefits which need not be explained, a bit like they do with galaxy on fire 2.

- characters
    Keep the magic character, add a dual wield assassin, and add a paladin class. The assassin can be pure mele dps, the Mage as it is now does magic and a paladin could give buffs to others and would be very good in a coop game.

--------------------

Something like this, but I don't know what your actual plans are though lol.

14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    And a robot character that cant conjure the elemental turrets, but can lay down his own mines and turrets (but they are on duration due to battery/power usage) and levelling up the skills increase the number that he can have at the same time, and the duration of the turrets.

The turrets can be attacked by enemies.

He should also have the ability to use some gold to repair or upgrade existing turrets.

All his attacks will deal physical damage meaning they will deal average damage, but wont be hampered by elemental defenses.

He's also not inclined into using the teleporters, but he has items that can boost his movespeed for a duration.

His different weapons, as opposed to different elemental staves, will be a machine gun, a grenade launcher, and a melee weapon. His machine guns and grenade launchers will have cooldowns/long reload times but they can have a bit more advantages in terms of knockbacks (machine gun) and knockdowns (grenade).

He can have a special "siege" form in which he drops movespeed down to 25%, but has a long range, AOE damage for about a 10s duration, but has a 1 minute cooldown.

One of his items can also be to create a wall which can be attacked by monsters, but doesnt attack on it's own. It can be upgraded to a final form that adds electric damage or something.

Just my thoughts. Im not a big defense game fan, but im loving this game a lot that i was thinkin of a new angle at the game, that can increase variety in the game.

My $0.02.

15. digitalphil

digitalphil Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Touch Arcade didn't review this? Are they outsourcing reviews now?

16. digitalphil

digitalphil Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Sorry misread the article. Game on!

17. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Great game, amazing style. Well done guys. :)

18. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    How I wish pets would generate health (even slowly) if they are not in use (rest mode). The burgers are freaking expensive, and the other one is next to useless to even bother using. The game gets hard indeed, and would require you to grind a bit to upgrade weapons and have enough extra cash to upgrade towers and use traps too.

19. ivanmacheung

Jun 15, 2012
    Hi cg2005. Thank you for those kind words. We hoped that this camera perspective makes the game more smoother and glad that it did!!!

It is nice of you to encourage us after you tried the game. Your rating on the app store will keep us bring more free updates.

Thank you for your support. Enjoy the game!!

20. ran3080

ran3080 Member

Dec 18, 2012
    support

support