Eliminate's Pricing Issue- Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by upsidedown, Oct 16, 2009.

?

Do you think this style of pricing good or bad?

1. Good(I like it)

88 vote(s)
    59.9%
  2. Don't care that much

19 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Bad(I don't like it)

40 vote(s)
    27.2%
  1. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    There is still a difference you people don't get. In Mafia War, you're limited to how much you can fight people. You pay money, and then you can fight more people. Here, you can ALREADY fight people and will be able to no matter what. Hardcore gamers don't NEED to pay to advance like in Mafia Wars.

Also, what happens if you spend money on an energy pack an play poorly for some reason? You just lost a dollar. Will these energy packs roll over if you don't use them? I not, your iDevice dies and you loose a dollar.

Only good thing Hodapp mentioned was investors, but you gotta get there first. Also, I don't want a crap load of adds during the game. Adds mean bad reviews and I gaurantee that after a month ELIMINATE will be rated 3 stars or less. WE might understand their pricing plan but no one else in the iDevice Universe does.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Something to consider is that this game will likely appeal to people outside of the TA bubble. Most of these people don't mind flipping out a few bucks for something they like and seeing advertisements doesn't ruin their day. :)

If they get 35 million people playing their game like you suspect, the majority of them are going to be these types of people, not TA forum members. ;)

3. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    Have you SEEN the Top Free Games reviews?! Their all low because of ads or other such things! I think the people here in TA are even MORE likely to purchase energy packs since we're ON A GAMING site meaning WE LIKE to play these games and are willing to pay more for them!

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

You honestly think iTunes reviews represent the thoughts of your average iPhone user?

5. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    You honestly don't think your average iTunes user looks at a review before downloading something?

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Something that's free that they heard was cool from their friends or somewhere else? No.

7. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    Hmm, then the people I know must be weird or something... Also, how do you know most people won't care about the ads them?

8. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008

Attached Files:

9. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Most people dont. Case in point.. TV Shows, Google, Facebook, Yahoo, TA, and everything else in life we are getting for free ;)

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Because if advertising made the average person as angry as it does some people on the internet, no one would ever buy magazines or newspapers. Also no one would ever watch TV, listen to the radio, watch movies, or participate in the countless other free and paid entertainment mediums that are absolutely inundated with advertisements.

11. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    it's a good thing Brazilian Rider didn't talk to the guys who founded YouTube. :)

"You guys are going to waste so much money on bandwidth! This is going to fail!"

arn

12. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    If someone doesn't download a free app by ngmoco regardless of reviews I'd be very confused. before I got into iPhone gaming, the only two game makers I knew were ngmoco and gameloft.

people think:

ngmoco. They did Rolando, that's been in many top 10 iPhone lists. They must be good? What's this, a good looking, free game by them? May as well try it out...

And people download lite versions of games randomly, and maybe even delete them later. If people don't download a free game because it isn't a lite, well, we're all pretty stupid. But it doesn't matter, we'll all die of nuclear war in the next 50 years.

13. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    That's all fine when the game is free, but what about hen you start having to pay $0.99 for credits? You are now paying for a game with ads.

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Yes, and analysts are predicting in-game advertising revenue to top 1 billion dollars in the next 3 years. This isn't a new thing by any means.

15. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    lmao

16. expandin

expandin Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2009
    ELIMINATE's lobby
    Finally somebody sharing my opinion. Hallelujah THANK GOD! Ehmmm... I mean HOD :)

17. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Still nothing exceptionally new. I`m paying for cable channels and still getting hordes of ads there.

I really think this whole free Eliminate discussion is a bit premature. Too many predictions when no one really has had an opportunity to get hands on with it(arn n eli dont count). Saying it`ll fail or will be a great success at this point is nothing but pure speculation. You`ll have a better chance of knowing about eliminate`s success by flipping a coin instead.

18. expandin

Sep 27, 2009
    ELIMINATE's lobby
    Agreed. 100%.... That's what I'm thinking for days...

19. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    What's funny is that there are doom-sayers on both sides that contradict each other.

1. Ngmoco won't make enough money to support this
    2. Ngmoco is ripping us off, and going to make lots of $$

Here's my take:

- Eliminate will be popular by being free. Far more popular than by being $0.99. The #1 Free App generated ~ 100,000 downloads a day almost a year ago. Today, the number is probably much higher. Top paid app generates about 15,000 downloads a day.
    - Saying that ratings will hurt the download of free apps is silly. Sure, free app ratings might be lower than paid app ratings, but the #1 free app still gets 100,000+ downloads a day.
    - Ngmoco is well funded and doesn't need immediate return to keep the servers running.
    - Lots of users is the key to making a lot of money in DLC or in-app marketing opportunities. Sounds like they are going to have a ton of players.
    - The game will be fun even if you don't buy the DLC (based on people's hands on experiences)
    - You can get Energy by doing marketing surveys which have been popular for Facebook apps.
    - Paying will be OPTIONAL. Don't like Paying for DLC? Don't.

The only question is what is the steady state required to make enough money to support the infrastructure. I'm sure they know the answer to that and have researched the scenarios.

arn

20. expandin

Sep 27, 2009
    ELIMINATE's lobby
    Naturally there are more people complaining than giving good ratings just because they need to be heard...