Universal Enviro-Bear 2010 (by Justin Smith/Captain Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Phil_Synowiec, Jul 9, 2009.

?

Game of the Year?

1. Yes

10,000,221 vote(s)
    2,053,433.5%
  2. No

234 vote(s)
    48.0%
  1. I think I'm going to have to buy this. Yes. Yes, I definitely need to buy this. I want to review it. The world needs to know about Enviro-Bear. Justin Smith truly is a genius. Deliberately bad artwork with a sensible premise (eat, get fat, hibernate, as bears are wont to do), high absurdism (do it in a car) and yet an almost obsessive attention to overly detailed play mechanics (drag the pedal and brake down, shift the shifter, grab food, shove it in your mouth, grab annoyances, toss them out of the car).

It's so over the top it almost has to be good.

2. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    It always makes me laugh when badgers get into the car and wreck havoc.

3. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

I have to admit, that graphics and sound on this are amazing... if only this were on the Atari 2600! You are right, the attention to detail is so funny, how things bounce and affect how you drive. I love it when the badger flies around and accidentally knocks my shift from Drive to Reverse.

My biggest gripe is the fact that it's hard to see where the bear's paw is since your finger has to guide it. You'll see this when I upload my video later. I also can't figure out why the car get's stuck sometimes and I cannot move no matter what I do.

This is probably the funniest purchase I've made in a while...

4. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    I now definitely think that this has to be added to my favorites list... My goodness, what is the world coming to when we love games like this... my, my, my...:D

5. weedeatinflyincougar

weedeatinflyincougar Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Is the video up yet?

6. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    #66 SoCal_Sponger, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  7. MicroByte

#67 MicroByte, Jul 10, 2009
    No, vid is almost done uploading and will then need to process, I'll put the URL up as soon as it's done.

The vid you posted was for the PC version which is pretty much the same thing.

8. MicroByte

Here's the vid, enjoy!

9. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
  10. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    That's a really good start for your review, right there!

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Where the hell is iReview to review this game?

12. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I'll wait a bit on this one... :rolleyes:

But, I will get it eventually... :p

13. MicroByte

Trust me, you won't see any reviews remarking about the "best use of the touch screen" or the "addictive nature of the gameplay". This game is pure frustration at times, but the graphics, badgers, bees and other game world objects keep you laughing.

Great fun in short bursts! Got to the 4th level/year and had enough for now...

My favorite part is when the badger bites onto your arm and the bears reaction, classic!

14. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    I agree, the game is by no means the best use of controls nor the best graphics. The whole game is hilarious though and the thought behind everything is pure genius. The way everything flies around in the car (I mean even the timer moves around when you turn sharply and if you look at it the minute hand is indeed ticking away), the fun physics (I've completely flipped my car twice now), the badgers, and every minor detail (the other bears driving cars really makes me LOL). Honestly this has to be the most hilarious game ever thought out and put on the app store.

15. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    If you got to year 4 (subtitled "the badgers are getting restless") you forgot to mention the most important thing...the bear is wearing what appears to be a damn COON SKIN CAP! The greatness, the sheer brilliance of this game is so very hard to quantify. Between that, the badgers, and the damn fish flopping all over my pedals sending me spiraling off into the netherland, I can't quite describe my joy over this $.99 purchase...

+ iPhone 3G S - $299.00
    + Enviro-Bear app - $.99
    + Driving a bear wearing
    a coon skin cap around
    in a car collecting fish
    and berries - Priceless

16. SoCal_Sponger

Feb 28, 2009
    im buying it now

hopefully the dev finds out about this thread!

17. MicroByte

Yeah, forgot to mention that detail about the hat!

LOL, I did the dumbest thing! In my haste and panic to get things tossed out, I accidentally grabbed and threw out the darn clock!

18. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    'atta boy Sponger.

19. SoCal_Sponger

Feb 28, 2009
    #79 SoCal_Sponger, Jul 10, 2009
    it requires 3.0, so Im gonna wait a couple days when I finally update my touch

someone should email the dev to hop onto this forum :) http://www.enviro-bear.com/

20. MicroByte

That's too bad about it being 3.0 only, wonder what features were needed to make it compatible with that FW.

On another note, my 6 year old saw it and though it was pretty funny. He didn't get why Chewbacca was driving the car, lol!