Epic Dragons - Dragon Tower Defense

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by holymolyadam, Feb 10, 2014.

1. ivankio

ivankio Member

Feb 14, 2014
    #21 ivankio, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    Nice! I really enjoyed the original Holy Moly Dragons and got happy to see it revisited.

Great idea on making an editor feature as I only felt the previous game had few levels for all the hard work it clearly took to make it from art to mechanics. The same feeling with Field Runners or any other TDs I've played (even mod ones): once I finish a level successfully, there's little reason to retry and I get that feeling of so many variants unexplored.

I'm curious how the sharing will work. Will there be community's highlights I can browse or will I be stuck to levels that my friends are capable of doing and sending me?

2. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    @Ivankio: Thanks for your comment. Yes, there will be community highlights. You will choose from top rated, newest, etc. But you will also have your friends send you a level to try.

3. ivankio

ivankio Member

Feb 14, 2014
    I hope it won't be pay-to-win. Glad to see you are willing to sell themes. And will there be skins for the creeps too?

I do like rainbows like Whimsyshire in Diablo 3, but to purchase a theme...
    I think I could go for the space one because it's nerdy and unusual (dragons in space). Ghost dungeons sounds cool too. Personally I think Christmas is too cheesy but I think it can't be avoided. Any major holiday should be a goldmine. Halloween and valentines too.

But scratch that, I think I would buy a level theme if it was well made with a cozy atmosphere and/or had special features other themes don't have.

Maybe other themes could be beach, arcade/tron, XXI century city... Hmnn, I'm seeing the pattern: I like to mix universes. :D

4. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Arcade tron is such a good idea! We will add to the list. What skins for creeps? Would you think a valentines day cupid creep would be a good idea? :)

Or you actually mean getting the creeps we have and dressing them with the theme?

We were also thinking about adding theme uniqueness with gameplay, so per say if you are playing the lava level, you will have boulders of lava rocks bouncing from the lava and annoying the dragons, etc. Or the frozengrounds. Freeze some dragons because of cold time to time.

We are also implementing a star based system, where your creeps have to pass through 3 stars to fully complete a level, therefore unlocking other chapters.

5. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Latest screens:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ivankio

ivankio Member

Feb 14, 2014
    I didn't think about fitting the creeps to themes. I was thinking about individual creeps, like the skins you earn in starcraft 2. A fancy golem to use in any scenario. Hordes of footwomen, sexy ones ;).
    Maybe my levels won't be as ingenious as the ones from real game designers, but I could entertain them with a fancy troop and boost my level rating a bit :p
    Well, I think that's the purpose of level themes already. Nevermind.

Thinking about modding, I think I would actually be inclined to buy features to place in my levels more than cosmetics. A PC free-to-play non-steam and non-humbleBundle game called Tricky Truck unlocks level editing gizmos with the purchase. It has over 12.000 user made levels and some really good, even with such unpopular topic (truck) and out of the radar of big distribution networks. Roughly about 10% of online users are users that paid for the game (it doesn't mean 10% of downloads and the player base is small. This data is cheesy, but I think it could illustrate a model that produced a high conversion rate for a free-to-play that has an editor as one of it's strongest points for engagement). In contrast, I would guess that Portal 2 hats didn't make much success.

---

Excuse me the digression, back to topic: beautiful screens! Can't wait to play it and give the editor a try. How many monsters at a time will the game be able to handle?

7. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Thanks for all the tips about skins Ivankio. You have really good ideas there, and things we can implement later in the future. Indeed, Tricky Truck was such a good indie game.

About the monsters/creatures. We are not sure yet. I believe around 20-30, but I could be wrong. Adam would know better :)

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Those screens look awesome! :D

Sorry if this has been answered before, but do you have an idea how many dragons you will have upon release?

9. holymolyadam

holymolyadam Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Hey JCho, we're looking to release with 9 dragons and continually add more. Right now, we are favoring quality over quantity. We want every dragon to have his/her own unique style/look and game play value.

10. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
  11. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
  12. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Now that I noticed, the sfx is covering my voice, hah. Hopefully you guys can understand what I'm saying. I'm gonna redo the video.

13. jhbaugh

jhbaugh Member

Oct 24, 2013
    I have been looking for a good TD game that won't crash and lag :p. This looks fun so I hope it has kinks worked out ;). Would love to beta test! Add me to list of "to let know if we decide to beta test" :p

14. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Indeed, a lot of tower defenses lag because of the amount of stuff onscreen.
    We are adding these different game play features in order this lag, but we also want some action, so we are not going to let the fun go out of it!

15. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Hey, here's our first concept for the battle menu, tons of things u can do there, purchase dragons, abilities, place them, check ur money, crystals, boosts. And rotate ur lil dragons.

[​IMG]

16. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Herer's our new path finding system showing so players can see what's going on while hatching an egg.

[​IMG]

17. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Hello fellas,

You got a brand new dragon to check out! Flamethrower dragon will enable area attack. He is suitable for corners where creatures go around him, which gives more time for him to burn them! I hope you like our new lil dragon.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

18. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Ooooooooo shiny!

19. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    haha, glad u like it.

20. Dark horse

Dark horse Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2014
    very cool game! level editing and dragons are very interesting. except from PC version . is there any more versions such as on IPAD and iphone ?