Espgaluda II (aka greatest bullet hell shooter) goes to app store

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by GDSage, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. japtor

japtor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I was thinking the exact same thing when I read his post. You can also get even nerdier and label Batsugun as a "manic" shooter, which is debatably a kind of vague precursor category to more modern bullet hell stuff...although the term is usually used interchangeably.

2. Dominic White

Dominic White Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Fair enough. It's not much further back, and largely the same people involved. My point still stands - these guys are damn good at what they do.

3. ArticoMedia

ArticoMedia Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Community Manager
    Madrid Spain - Cork Ireland
    Very good game like it and I was missing shooters like this. Good graphics, Japanese arcade game and epileptic attack! So It will be one of my new games this month.

See you!

4. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Looks intense. Shame that it will only be for 3GS and iPod 3rd gen users though. I have a 3rd gen, but I feel bad for the other users.

Seeing the game will be "unplayable" on their older devices. Wonder if some of the iPhone 3G people that have been commenting know that.

5. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    This game is the reason I went out and got a 3GS. I'm currently looking to sell my 3G (Or give it to the parental unit, I think she wants to start playing Words with Friends).

Shmups are personally a big deal for me. The very reason I imported a Japanese 360 was because of the shmup releases over there. (And then they go and make Mushihimesama Futari and ESPGaluda II region free. Bastards!)

To see this on the iPhone is a big big big big thing for me. Especially at the price.

6. Orlandosan

Orlandosan Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    College Student
    Somewhere in the US
    #46 Orlandosan, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
    Smells like 1# shooter in the appstore! :D

Woohoo a real shooter! Good thing it is not like those half-ass, clone like games that indie developers have created, its actually a famous game made from a well known company! :D I will be the first to buy this game! :)

7. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    No, I'll be the first.

:p

8. bushin

bushin Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    whoa - no need to insult us indies :)

9. drunkhobo15

drunkhobo15 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Waiter
    Fort Worth, Texas
    This is going to be an instant buy for me. I cannot wait. I have always loved games like this.

10. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Has there been any announcement as to approximately what time this will be unleashed in the app store? I'll be waiting for this one all day... :D

11. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Really excited for this, as I've never had a chance to play a 'real' bullet hell game (on iPhone or otherwise).

Can someone in the know compare this or other Cave games to the ABA/Kenta Cho games? I get the impression that the Cave games have more depth to them (and that a lot of people value K. Cho's games for the design aspect as much as the gameplay). I've been lobbying to have a 3Gs-playable version of rRootage released; the developer Lazrhog did the original and has said that a new version might be out at some point.

Thanks for any info in advance.

12. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    The bullet hell shooter that I personally find to be the best introduction is Dodonpachi. It's not the first, but shmup fans pretty much go absolutely crazy for Dodonpachi and the series behind it.

Grab yourself the latest version of MAME and find it. It'll give you a very good idea of what Cave are about.

To be perfectly honest with you, comparing Cave's style of scoring hook to a Kenta Cho game is pretty much impossible. Even comparing a Kenta Cho game to a Kenta Cho game is like comparing apples and oranges.

I've done a full 5 stage run of Mushihimesama Futari Black Label on youtube if you're interested in seeing what they're like to play for score.

13. japtor

japtor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Yeah it's hard to really compare them. The closest thing is rRootage as a boss only rush mode, kind of a minigame in comparison. The full on level design, enemy layouts and bullet patterns, along with the scoring mechanisms make it completely different.

And yeah DoDonPachi is probably the best to start with, the formula is still relatively modern and the gameplay is still great. I'm not a fan of the DDP series' chaining system, but even just playing for fun/survival it's great stuff.

14. senchou

senchou Member

Mar 30, 2010
    japan