Exiles of Embermark - a PVP RPG tailored for one-handed play (by Gunslinger Studios)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by thewzrd, Feb 5, 2016.

?

In mobile RPGs, do you get more excited about PvP or PvE? (and why)

1. PvP is more exciting

41 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. PvE is more exciting

93 vote(s)
    52.0%
  3. They are equally as exciting

45 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. fliindnyce

fliindnyce Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    look at that thing lol you guys should have some type of bird our something flying around it well on top of the mountain part...

2. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha, true. There will be many of these types of NPCs in the game, but encountering the Big Guy will probably be more of an Event-type thing. More often than not, you'll run up against Fledglings and Primordials (more as a boss-type).

3. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    To that end, there will be many different types of Chaotics in the game, ranging from the base (shown here) to all sorts of variations based on locale.

[​IMG]

4. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gotcha. Given these other studies on the creatures I've posted, is the way we're attacking the whole "taking on the landscape" piece right on/too little/too much for you?

5. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    #25 thewzrd, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Given this game has both synchronous PvP and PvE against all sorts of NPCs, I'm interested in which is more important to players in an RPG, and why?

I put a poll up to get an idea of whether PvP or PvE is more important.

6. WakenBake

WakenBake Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2016
    So I voted pvp. My reasoning is that I enjoy the challenge of facing another human on as fair of a playing ground as possible. There isn't much things that make me happier then a win against a person.

7. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Totally get that. Is PvE really far behind for everyone, or pretty close to being as compelling as PvP?

8. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ah, nevermind. Now it looks like the poll is going the other way. I'll fire up the same question over on our forums, but I would love to get perspective on what about PvP or PvE you guys find more compelling vs the other.

9. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    To give some more perspective on our PvE system, players will navigate through the world Google-Maps-style, looking for Quests, places of interest and events to take part in. Zooming in and out reveals different types of these. Here's a preview image of one part of a Zone in Embermark:

[​IMG]

10. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Also, a little explanation on the map features:

[] Broken tower = Ruins
    [] Mountain = Cave
    [] Door = Crypt
    [] Door w frame = Dungeon

The City ("Endmore") will house not only Quests, but arenas and places where Events are taking place. These features will rotate based on what Season the game is in and what narrative events are happening.

11. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Quests will also be dynamic in that some will be available to your Character based on Class or Level, but some will come and go based on what's going on in the world from a player-base standpoint. Meaning, as players (all together) accomplish certain things in the world, other Quests will become available to everyone.

12. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Update: We're developing a bunch of win/loss scenarios now (like this shot), but more importantly, we'll have the backend system (battle math, character stats, loot system) totally integrated with the visual frontend (we're using Unreal Engine 4) within the next week or two. We'll be showing the game at GDC, so if any of you will be there, would love to show you the game in action.

[​IMG]

13. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here's a selection of head studies that we're doing to establish a look for the militaristic invader NPCs for part of the Quest cycle. Messing with form and color to get at something intelligent, interesting and a bit diabolic.

Any ones you love/meh/hate given that brief description?

[​IMG]

14. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Row 5, Column 2. LOVE.

If he's supposed to be militaristic, I think that perfectly captures it. I think any of the color schemes are fine. My personal opinion, I don't like the longer snout/face ones. They look almost like a baby dragon face and their jaws aren't square enough. But that's only because you said militaristic invader. I always picture military with square jaws.

15. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeah, good points on the jaw. we were sorta commenting that the long snouts looked a bit friendly. and you like the blue/orange over the more "traditional" green for a draconian-type?

16. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here's a bigger, bruiser character that we're developing along the same lines (same direction on face, bigger, rougher body type):

[​IMG]

17. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    We're currently experimenting with a system for gear that should make for a ton of variety and looks, controlling everything from materials to shapes to sizes straight from the system (not in the app itself).

Here's a scaling experiment gone wrong (but I bet no one could get past that shield):

[​IMG]

18. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Dat blocking skill though man. #proshieldbearer

19. thewzrd

Patreon Indie