Universal Extreme Road Trip 2 (by Roofdog Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Doctr

Doctr Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Spam Game

I don't play this game and I never will. Going to report these challenge invites to apple. I get one every hour now. Yes I could turn off notification but then I'd don't se challenge and request from game I actuall own and play. Arrrgh! :mad:

2. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Received only 3 challenges over the last week but I can imagine that it is annoying if you get a few challenges every day
    Game is fun so far, upgrades and new cars seem a bit expensive though

3. yome

yome Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jan 5, 2010
    Game developer and founder of Roofdog Games (roofd
    Montreal
    We're working on an update and we'll try to fix this asap. Obviously, people here have way more Game Center friends than we do. Also, in our testing we couldn't challenge the same person multiple times, but it looks like we were wrong.

By the way, challenges are always issued following a player action *and* confirmation. This actually respects Apple's guideline. I really wish Game Center would have an options to mute challenges from a game as it would fix the issue with the game (and any future games with a similar system).

Since challenges are a new thing people are a bit confused how they work. If you receive and don't decline a challenge, when you beat another person's challenge you'll send a notification back (this is done automatically by Game Center, we have no control over that). This is the only case where a challenge can be automatic.

Honestly spamming people like this wasn't our intention. We made it too easy to challenge all your friends at once, and this was a mistake. However other factors made it much worse, namely the way Game Center Challenges currently work, the fact that the game is so popular, and the fact that some people have a lots of "friends" on Game Center who are too challenge-happy.

Feel free to contact me at yome [at] roofdog.ca to tell me how much you hate me.

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    It's a shame about the challenge spam, because this really is a fun game, marred by a stupid decision by the devs. Plus the challenges prove to be kind of stupid. Half the time I receive a challenge, launch the app and it says I beat the challenge. LOL. Just take the damn challenge thing out completely.

5. rpgmind

rpgmind Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Interesting, I received a challenge myself around noon. Only one; I rarely, get them so I thought nothing of it until I stumbled onto this thread detailing it. I don't have the game either. Not a complaint, more of a 'hmmm'.

6. cycoder

cycoder New Member

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm an app developer too with several apps in the store, and you should voluntarily pull your app in the meantime.

I've had near 50 challenges in the past few days. Ridiculous, and obviously deliberate.

I'll be emailing my contacts at Apple today to see if they will pull your app or suspend challenges temporarily. I assume they will just pull your app though. I'll also be suggesting they investigate to determine if they feel it is deliberate as well.

7. Marianne

Marianne Administrator
    Staff Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Female
    TouchArcade Ad Sales, MacRumors Editor
    Boston
    Glad to hear you're working on it. I think I've managed to unfriend all of my Game Center friends who have been playing it so I haven't gotten any more spam about it.

Apple's guidelines aside, I do question the decision to allow players to challenge *ALL* Game Center friends instead of just those who have Extreme Road Trip 2 installed. I'm not sure what all of the options available to developers are in this area but I think more thought should have gone into that.

/beating of dead horse

8. l4zy415

l4zy415 New Member

Nov 7, 2012
    I love playing this game, but it really sucks that you lose all the coins, cash, and in-game achievements. The GC achievements stay in there. I also have a jailbroken phone. Hope you guys can figure this out.

9. Turn off iCloud sync. It should work then

10. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Or, maybe they should fix iCloud sync instead?

11. witedahlia

witedahlia Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Hmmm... I haven't got this game yet, but I have received a few challenges from GC friends. And by a few I mean literally 3 or 4 (I have 500 GC friends btw). I have also received challenges from other games I don't have (ivy the kiwi is just one example). I don't know why some people are getting hundreds of challenges when I am only getting 3 or 4. It's truly mysterious to me. I know people are saying the dev did it intentionally but since I am not getting spammed I felt I should bring this up. Anyway, I want to get the game but am waiting for this problem to be fixed so I don't unintentionally spam my GC friends. Hope it's fixed soon because I would love to play it.

12. talf

talf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 2, 2012
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Montreal
    You can turn off iCloud in the game's options menu.

Jailbroken devices are messing up the application's certificate. Which prevent the application uses iCloud properly.

13. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    That makes no sense at all, or perhaps I'm missing your point. Is this the only game with iCloud support that folks with jailbroken devices play?

14. talf

talf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 2, 2012
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Montreal
    witedahlia, the game will only send challenges to your friends if you hit the "Challenge Friends" button and then answer 'yes' in the confirmation window.

15. talf

talf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 2, 2012
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Montreal
    I can't speak for all games, but there's also Pocket Planes who has an options to disabled iCloud Sync since lots of people were reporting issues. But I don't know more about it...

I'm not an expert with jailbroken devices, but what I'm pretty sure of, is that jailbroken devices can alter (or ignore) some applications entitlements. And those are required if an application wants to use iCloud.

16. witedahlia

witedahlia Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Ok thanks! Downloading now.

17. l4zy415

l4zy415 New Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Great, that actually worked. I first thought it was the iCloud through the iPhone, but its the iCloud in the game itself. Now the game saves, thanks.

18. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    I get these requests at least 10-20 times a day for a game I don't have and will never want. It's maddening. At this point I wouldn't care if it was the best thing since sliced bread - my frustration with these unsolicited game requests almost begging me to join is at a breaking point. Stop spamming me to play a game I don't have. How has Apple not put a stop to this or yanked the game from the store?

19. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I have started to unfriend folks who send me challenges to this game.

20. yome

yome Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jan 5, 2010
    Game developer and founder of Roofdog Games (roofd
    Montreal
    We've submitted an update to Apple last week to fix this, it's waiting for Apple's approval.