Universal Extreme Road Trip 2 (by Roofdog Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 24, 2012.

1. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    #81 visionwebs, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
    What, I never even saw this get released :(

I guess as its only been updated recently it's still worth getting, maybe it will scratch my itch that banana kong ruined with the game save deletion.

Well, here goes.

So first time I tried it just got 2152, that good or not?

Nvm 3569 now

This is easy to pick up and the music is retro but it's quite a steal for a free game lol!

5128 without any car upgrades still hehe

2. yome

yome Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jan 5, 2010
    Game developer and founder of Roofdog Games (roofd
    Montreal
    We're still working on it full-time. By the way, the game crashes right now when you have no network connection and iOS 6.1, but we've already submitted an update to Apple to fix this, along with 10 new achievements and other fun stuff.

2152 is pretty good for a first run, but you'll find that you'll probably get much further if you keep at it :)

Cheers!

3. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I'm considering buying IAP just to support you.
    This really is a hidden gem very nice work here.

Thanks for giving me an entertaining evening it's quite fun :D

4. JCik68

JCik68 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    student
    Slovakia
    Thanks so it is in one jump in one game

5. Flunkie

Flunkie Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    So, the new update with Air Bombs. How does everyone feel about it?

6. dmitchtou

dmitchtou New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Is anyone else managing to play this on a 3GS? It works, sure, but the game skips a _lot_ -- basically, every time something interesting happens, the game skips for a frame or two.

So it skips when I hit a mine (which has resulted in some very very large jumps, I think because the solver in the simulation engine gets confused). It skips when I do a stunt and the list-of-stunts message gets bigger. It skips when I land a big enough jump that it has to work out the quality of the landing; it the post-game results screen jerks as it appears because it's skipping.

Most of this I could live with, but it _always_ skips when I die, and I'm still not sure if it's skipping instantly after I die when it starts to load the smoke animation for dying, or if it's the skipping that causes me to miss the landing and die.

Alternatively, is there some way to avoid this? I've tried disabling all notifications and alerts from every other app on the system to make sure it's not background processes, I've tried airplane mode, but no joy.

It is frustrating, because I really like the game, I just wish it would play smoothly.

7. yome

yome Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jan 5, 2010
    Montreal
    Hi,

we're working on this. For some reason the game got slower with time though we didn't really change much. We are optimizing the game right now and it should be better soon.

8. dmitchtou

dmitchtou New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Oh, that is awesome news -- thanks!

9. dmitchtou

dmitchtou New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    New version seems to be smoother, or at least not as prone to causing crashes when it has a hiccup; if I were to guess, I'd say the code change was something like:

Time tNow = GetCurrentRealWorldTime();
    Time tDelta = tNew - m_prevFrameTimestamp;
    tDelta = min(tDelta, 1/30.0);
    RunSimulationFor(tDelta);
    m_prevFrameTimestamp = tNow;

so that when it does hiccup, the game doesn't have a big jerk in simulation, it just runs a bit slower for that frame. (or perhaps tDelta = (tDelta > 1/30.0) ? 0 : tDelta, to completely pause the simulation during slow frames). I may well be misinterpreting things, though.

Either way, it's definitely an improvement -- thanks!

10. yome

yome Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jan 5, 2010
    Montreal
    I'm glad to hear it got better. We did nothing like that... It was mostly about finding inefficiencies and we found a few embarrassing mistakes that crept in over time which were consuming way too much memory.

Thanks for the feedback, it's always nice to get confirmation that something really worked.

11. maya14344

maya14344 New Member

Jul 9, 2016
    This game is addictive.