Universal Fall of Angels- Original iOS JRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by FunnyTypo, Dec 13, 2011.

1. DahakaJR

DahakaJR Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I drive trains, Locomotive Engineer.
    Pacific Northwest.
    Head back to temple. You'll recuit one more member, then you'll be able to depart.

2. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Game Impressions

After over 10 hours in the game I can say that this is one of the better RPGs I have played on iOS.
    One of the best, most complex indie RPG gem you can get in the AppStore.

Pros:
    - very good storyline, as you progress through the game new party members join your team, each one with different skills, fighting techniques, available magic/buffs/equipment etc.
    - solid controls, no problems here. Virtual joystick works well, but it would be nice to see a fixed position of it (not floating).
    - no random battles when travelling on map. Nice change from all the Final Fantasy games I’ve played recently, I was really getting tired of it. Enemies chase you around the map if you get too close so you can choose if you want to fight them or not – good thing if your party is on higher levels and you don’t want to loose your time for pointless 1-hit battles. Later on you get a skill that prevents enemies from chasing you around the map (works for a short period, then you have to cast it again) – I like that.
    - I like the music – a great mixture of different genres – instrumental, ambient, rock, electronic. Sound effects are also solid, and together with the music are creating a nice atmosphere.
    - mini games / puzzles are also an interesting addition (try to get to the watch tower in Saragossa ;) ) Spoiler: Shooting pigeons using a bow with explosive arrows - lolz
    - party members learn new skills when they read inscriptions placed on monuments all around the game world.
    - battles are based on charging up status bars (similar to Chrono Trigger), not turn based.
    - day / night cycle – some events, encounters, riddles depend on it (fireflies can be caught only at night, you can sneak on a trade ship only at night etc.)
    - you can find a diary in the menus that summarizes the current plot.
    - menus work well, with party rosters, equipment lists, etc.
    - no technical problems so far, game runs smooth as silk, after over 10 hours it crashed twice so it’s acceptable (non-jailbroken 3GS, iOS 4.3.3).

Cons:
    - some location entry/exit points are not visible enough, this can cause problems – I have discovered one of the locations by accident, after passing by it on the map for like 20 times.
    - I discovered a few bugs in the game (I’ll send an email to the devs), most of them are not game breaking, but make the game too easy in my opinion (there is an infinite money bug for example).
    - camera perspective in some locations is a bit weird – Saragossa shipyard for example.
    - I would like to know a bit more about the party members, additional backstory would be nice.

I haven’t mentioned the graphics in pros or cons because for me it is a matter of taste. If you judge the book by it’s cover and in game graphics is a priority than this game is probably not for you. Personally I have mixed feelings about the graphics. It has a specific style, which I find quite interesting, but in some areas it is indeed wooden and could use some polish, like more fluent animations of some enemies etc.

So far I think this game is worth much more then the $1.99 current price. I’m really enjoying it and I think it deserves much more attention. As an RPG fan I recommend this game without a shadow of doubt.

And for final words – I’m STUCK! Can anyone help me? I’m in Torrido Mines and I have to find 6 pieces of broken mining cart to proceed. So far I’ve found 5 pieces, can’t find the last one. I checked all of the rail mazes where you travel using mining carts – only 5 pieces. I tried to go back through the location where I killed the boss (he felt through the ground) and when I use the exit on the right the screen goes black and game freezes, I can see the joypad, menu button etc. but no reaction from the game. I think this could be a bug that will not allow me to progress in the game, I hope I’m wrong…

3. FunnyTypo

FunnyTypo Active Member

Dec 11, 2011
    App developer
    UK
    Torrido Mines

Hi Gunlock! I'm one of the devs on Fall of Angels. Thank you very much for your comments :)

In the Torrido mines there's one piece of the broken cart that isn't near the tracks: did you get the one
    hidden on top of the wooden tower? On the screen immediately before you get the ropeladder there is a section where you walk along a wooden floor clockwise around a wooden tower, and then you pass it again on the way back. You can enter this tower from the right hand side and use the ropeladder inside to climb up and find the piece.

We're currently in the process of testing an update that will be submitted to Apple in the next couple of days- if you are able to send us an email about the bugs you found, I'll make sure that the fixes are included in the update :)

4. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Need help. I am stuck at the wind passage.

5. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    There's something stuck in my wind passage too!

Sorry, couldn't resist..!!

6. Gunlock

Dec 13, 2010
    You need to find a location where you can hear the wind playing a couple of tones. Then go back and play those tones on the organ. A hidden passage will open.

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Nice looking update just hit with more enemy varieties, unspecified new areas, a chat feature to get more background from character interactions, nice looking new icon, etc. thanks to developers for continued updates.

8. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Tried, but did nt manage

9. Gunlock

Dec 13, 2010
    Thank you devs for the update, works great! Good looking new icon, and a nice list of updates / tweaks etc.

If I remember correctly, in one of the caves there is a cracked wall, behind it there is a passage. You can brake the wall with the hammer.

10. Hamses

Hamses Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Suprisingly engaging

I was skeptical based on the screenshots of whether I would enjoy this game, but the lite version gave me an opportunity to dive in. As an RPG fan, and as an iOS gamer, I have to say this is a great effort and incredibly enjoyable. The storyline and soundtrack are my favorite parts. The graphics / ui elements are very rough but that doesn't bother me too much (the gradient talk bubbles are really hideous hehe).

Anyway, I was convinced by the users of this forum to give the game a try and am back to pay it forward to someone else. Highly recommended, try the lite version at least. The fact that the $ goes to an indie game dev, and that you just continue the very same game you were playing in the lite version after you unlock the full version, makes buying the full version a no brainer.

11. R3TAL1AT3

R3TAL1AT3 Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Game Impressions

Have been following this game for awhile now. I was unconvinced at first but then everyone here seems to be HIGHLY recommending this game and I can honestly say that I am TRULY impressed. I just started the game and only an hour or so into the game, so this is just a first impression.

The game's plot is very engaging from the start. The tutorial part of the game is done in a very simple yet well structured, it didn't bore me as most games tend to do. Controls are classic-style simple. Graphics wise, it fits perfectly well with the overall layout (screenshots don't do them justice when compared to have seen it in motion). Character models and portraits may look below average but the battle animation flows very nicely and neat. World textures are very impressive eventhough not highly detailed and the color/contrast balance seems to make the visuals very 'beautiful'. The addition of the examine mode is unexpectedly well implemented, and gives the games an extra 'dimension'.

I'll post a full review once I have completed the game, but for now I can say GREAT game. And anyone who hasn't played or downloaded this should do so. And to those who are unsure, don't be. You won't regret the experience.

Hope to see developers take more heed to what this game have accomplished. It just takes a well written story, balanced gameplay and well implemented mechanics and innovation to make a great game. Sure graphics are important but this game proves that presentation (not graphic wise) takes precedence.

Good luck and congratulations to the developers. Hope to see you guys on the developing scene more with this success. All the best and THANK YOU for this GEM-of-an-app. :)

12. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Thank you for the update devs !

Anybody who likes RPG or a good story should get this game. It's about fifty times better than it looks at first inspection.

13. FunnyTypo

FunnyTypo Active Member

Dec 11, 2011
    App developer
    UK
    Hi I'm one of the Fall of Angels devs,

Thank you for all the positive comments! I'm really glad that you're enjoying the Fall of Angels. It's always hard to get the word out about a new game, so the word of mouth is greatly appreciated :)

We're currently working on the next update containing multiple additions and improvements including a hint system, improved menu screen, better looking speech bubble, a 'Run' button and more. We're always checking the feedback on the forums, and if you have any suggestions we'd love to hear from you ([email protected])!

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Hmmm missed this first time round but does look interesting. Not normally into JRPG's but this does look good from the videos, downloading the lite version now to try it out, cheers

15. R3TAL1AT3

R3TAL1AT3 Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2011
    I got a suggestion. It would be great if you guys could add 'Ambush' and 'Preemptive Strike' on battle encounters. It would give players more strategy and it would add more depth to gameplay. Before, i was moving really slow and studying their patrol patterns, but after LOADS of battles and finally figuring out that theres no difference on how you approach enemies, i just rush straight on. But i love your spawning time. It's almost instantaneous, keeps me on edge and definitely forces me not to doze off.

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Hmm...didn't see this when it was first posted. Definately have to keep this on my wish list. Not sure how much grinding is required, but would probably enjoy an RPG that doesn't have IAPs for a change.

17. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    So far my feeling grinding is low, I mean well balanced.

18. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah... not a lot of grinding here, only adventure puzzles and compelling plot. I'm not sure why people on iOS so equate grinning with RPGs, it must be all those sleazy KRPGs. Fall of Angels is the premiere iOS native RPG in my opinion, highly recommended if you don't have it already.

19. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    New update today adding new content of an additional town, a cutscene, pre-emprive strike battle dynamic, and a menu based hint system along with tweaks including improved menus, a run setting, and battle speed setting.

If these guys don't have your $2.99 yet they should.

20. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I have no time to elaborate but +1. It's compulsive playing.

If you're in doubt check every post in this thread and every review in the (UK) store. Every person who has played and commented or reviewed has been overwhelmingly positive !

I've never experienced such universal high regard for a game on the app store !
    (though admittedly from a relatively small number of people !)