Universal Fangz - (by Alexandre Ribeiro)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Kyasbaby

Kyasbaby New Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Didn't play this sort of games in ages - loving it!

I can't remember the last time I played this kind of games, prob since I was a teenager and now I'm more of a puzzle game player, but Fangz is so amazingly fun to play that I think I may be addicted. I just wish I could play it with just one hand so I could do it more often on my smoking breaks ;-))

2. Game Whiz

Game Whiz Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Janitor/Developer/Whatever needs to be done around
    Portugal
    Slept a couple of hours and I feel like... well, I couldn't say it here :)

Developing for iOS is mostly a pleasant experience, since all devices are pretty much the same (even with the latest fragmentation).

Developing for Android is also a pleasant experience, but with so many different devices, I've got this unpleasant feeling that something will fail for someone :-/
    I'm pretty confident Fangz will work on the great majority of different Android devices (all of the supported 2028!!), but I'm also pretty confident that it'll fail for some.

Many thanks! I love Zombieville 2 and I think Noah Bordner is an amazing guy. That being said, a little competition on the genre is always good :)

Bite away :) Fangz should run well in an iPod Touch 4G.

eheheheheh!! Alex Gallego and I discussed some of these animations a lot and we laughed a lot while doing so, mostly because when I wanted to convey a particular motion to Alex, I would film myself doing it :D

iCade support will come in the first or second content update. First I'm releasing a small bug fixing update.

iCade will come in the first or second content update. Colour blindness unfortunately wasn't on my radar. Sorry for that. I actually have a colour blind beta tester at hand near me, so I'll handle this. I'll most likely have an option to control the amount of blood, since putting the blood in a different colour would bring some other tech issues.

Thanks Kenken.

You know, that's the exact same feeling I got when developing this game. Even after playing it for so long, sometimes I'm still awestruck by how it looks and moves. Thank Alex Gallego for that :)

Master Lee, I was going to gift you the game! You were such a supportive person over the game's development. If (more when) I come to Greece we have to meet personally :)

Just a little challenging? I made this game and played it extensively, so that a gamer would struggle as much as in Skyrim in normal mode :) If you're finding it just a "little" challenging now, I'm sure you'll change your mind after some more levels. The game is always fair though, and there are no impossible levels. Some do require you to adjust your strategy a lot...

Play a bit in survival mode, ramp up stamina and speed, and it'll become easier.

When you jump energy decreases, but it'll get back to the previous level if you don't jump and get bitten. In level 2.2, once you know the path, and if you avoid some enemies instead of trying to kill everyone, you'll be able to reach the end...

and then you'll get to Vamptasia, and you'll surely curse a lot :)

The technique in games like these is not to panic, and calmly kill everything that moves :D

One thing that helps with the shotgun, is to shoot when you're close to the enemies. Like a real shotgun, the damage is much larger if you shoot at point-blank range.

There's some difference. I could spot it immediately, but most of the beta testers I spoke to saw no difference. If you're playing with a headset you'll definitely notice the sound quality difference between the versions.

Yes, this was a concern to me, and it'll probably hurt sales, but if I was a customer I'd like to have this choice, particularly since the HD version is rather hefty (all those textures take loads of space).

All I want is for this game to sell enough so that I can keep on doing this for a living. I think that the lost sales will be offset by happy customers. In the future, for other games, I may publish just a single version, if device capacities keep on increasing.

3. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Bleh... Deleted, it just got waaaay to hard.. Totally joking! Well, I actually did delete it, but not for that reason. I just found out about the HD version! :D
    Downloading that as well! Is there any real difference besides graphics in the HD one?

4. Wasabininja

Wasabininja Active Member

Nov 2, 2012
    After reading the forums, I decided to purchase the game. Not only because it looks damn good and that I enjoy the gameplay style, but the dev is so active here and just seems to be very passionate about this. I have similar dreams and I hope your game succeeds beyond expectations! ^____^

5. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    Any time you want Alex my House is your House:)

6. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Your my kind of Dev
    Let me support your baby....,downloading

7. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Damn, this looks fun. I'm on an iPod touch 5th gen, should I get the HD version or standard?

8. jontas

jontas Member

Jan 30, 2013
    I ended up playing the game on the way to work--couldn't wait til I get home later. Finished the first area and beat the first boss.

First impressions are all very positive. The game is a lot of fun, the different weapons feel different, the different enemies all have very different behaviors, and the boss had a really nice mechanic and was a lot of fun to fight.

I am also impressed by the dev's energy, passion and enthusiasm in this forum--that, more than anything else, makes me want to support the app.

Keep up the good work, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store in the future, both updates and new games.

9. Tortimer

Tortimer Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Seaside, Oregon
    Looks like my type of game(Love Zombieville). I also want to support non fremium games as much as possible. I'm going to download the HD version for my ipad 2.

10. predator8u

predator8u Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2013
    #70 predator8u, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
    Normally avoid this type of game, I find them repetitive. But do to the dev's honesty and the fact that there are no IAP. Along with it being the same price for the hd version. You got my money. I hope all goes well for you.

I look forward your future games with this graphical fidelity.

11. Game Whiz

Sep 21, 2011
    Portugal
    Thank you! Just hearing comments like this makes all the effort worthwhile :)

How do you think I take screenshots? I play with one hand and take the screenshot with the other. A developer's life is that hard... :D

The sound is also better. And if you've got a retina iPad, you've got to see this in all its glory. I don't believe there's anything like it in the App Store.

Thanks! Do follow your dreams. The last few years have been an amazing ride and one of the happiest of my life.

Thanks master lee. I'm out of words to thank you for all the support.

My baby just burped in contentment :)

Get the HD version if you can spare the space.

Thanks! I played and replayed this game until it felt just right. Hopefully that matches with most people's idea of just right :)

My energy is dwindling right now, I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep on answering everyone here :D But I'll surely keep up my work's quality, even if it takes more time and money.

Fortunately I've got an infinite supply of "Thanks" :)
    Thanks!

These comments are making two adult guys giggle like little girls :D

12. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    What do you get for following on twitter? At the end of the tutorial it says you get something.

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Just bought the HD version, wish it wasn't a lowball price so I could support you guys more. Your attitude towards development and the community is very refreshing, plus I loved Zombieville :D

Look forward to booting it up once it installs.

14. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    This is basically Zombieville USA with vampires instead of zombies. Graphics are better and it has more blood and gore than Zombieville but there is really nothing special about it.

15. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I bought the HD version, but in general this type of game does nothing for me and Fangz is no different.

16. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Damn I was sure to get the SD version as I dont use the ipad 4 for gaming but for work so the game will end in my "survival" folder on the ipad2 next to zombieville and others eventually, but hearing all these comments about the retina version looking gorgeous made me so curious that im getting both.

Nice to see a dev being so present in forums without tons of backlash, I always cringe at some of the things devs need to put up with in this site from angry users.

Congratulations on getting your game out, ill try to post some imps after trying the hd version on my ipad after work.

17. Game Whiz

Sep 21, 2011
    Portugal
    You get my undying gratitude for listening to me :p As soon as I start adding content, the first place where I'll announce it will be on Facebook and Twitter. As this thread becomes more and more cluttered, it'll be the best place to hear news about Fangz and my upcoming games.

Thanks! I plan on upping the price after the launch phase. My hope is that this game reaches "the masses" and I'll be able to make a profit out of it due to the sheer size of the market.

Well, it has a few extra things you didn't mention:
    - A funny story
    - Bosses
    - World class graphics and animation (just because they're just "better" doesn't make them less special)
    - Fast paced gameplay

That being said, please tell me what would make it special for you. I already have some ideas for future updates, but I know I'll be humbled by some fantastic idea that pops out of the head of a player :)

What can I do to make it different and worth your time?

Thanks for your comments. I've gained so many battle scars over the years that I'm absolutely impervious to any backlash. But I still very much appreciate any type of constructive criticism.

18. jontas

jontas Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Stop refreshing this thread and get some sleep--I'm sure you'll wake up to some more good news, as once the Wednesday night app buyers start poking around you should get a nice sales boost.

As a developer who has desperately wanted to give it all up and build a game for years, you definitely inspire me. I don't think I'm ready to give up my day job just yet, but I really should stop coming up with excuses and start working on an app in my spare time. I've never looked into iOS development but it has always interested me.

19. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Oops. I already bought the SD. :p mostly because I'm low on space in my PC. Too many iOS games, hehe.

Heck, if I like it, I might just buy the HD, too, though.

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This thread is just amazing. :) Congrats on all of this and the fantastic front-page write-up, Alex. Next step? Hopefully Fangz'll get featured. *crosses fingers*