iPad Fantasy Adventure (by USERJOY)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #61 Sheinfell, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    So I am in world 7 currently, time to post some impressions:
    Overall, I like the game, and will drop some IAP as support for the developers.
    I read that some people complained about the story being shallow. While this is partly true (it is nothing out of the ordinary, but then I have seen everything and there is nothing new under the sun :p ) , it is told in an engaging way. Not many games make me want to "play just one more level, I want to see what happens next".

Graphics: They are well-done, only the environments could use a little more variety. On the other hand, you have a ton of graphics for your characters (13 currently), and their weapons and clothing change with what you equip on them. For me personally the style is a bit too overboard and cute, but it looks great. Have to give big credits to them for putting in that much effort with the costumes, they are incredibly detailed.
    Also, the skill graphics are well done, and do not distract too much in combat (no graphics overload).

Combat: Very well done, and balanced very well. You can actually use different approaches than skill spam and win even tougher battles. Example: In one level, both my damage dealers (Archer for single-target, Wizard for area) died less than halfway through, and left me with only my Healer and Knight (tank) alive. And I still won the level, it just took longer because the Knight's lower attack was only enough to s..l..o..w..l..y chip away at the monsters. In other games like this, losing a main part of your party is a death sentence.
    Note that the monsters can pull off some of your tricks, too. One of the nastiest combos is one doing a slow spell, and another starting an AoE attack. Slowed to a snail's pace, it is almost impossible to get out of the effect area in time.

Rewards/Money/IAP:
    Only one currency (gold) that is used for everything, from buying equipment to upgrading skills and hiring new characters. But you earn enough to get you through without IAP, and without grinding; provided you focus a bit and do not try to upgrade everything for every character.
    The only thing I did was that when I did not finish a level with all 4 chars alive, I replayed it until I could do that. And I only had to do this for like 4 levels so far, and replaying was no more than 3-4 times each.
    Later on, you get two characters that cost a whopping 100k each. But even that is doable without IAP and too much grind. For example, the last level I played gave me 11k as reward, and I finished it in under 10 minutes with an underpowered party.
    Note: I just dropped in some IAP and got the two 100k folks. I did not use them in a stage yet, but from the descriptions&stats alone their skills look overpowered compared to the rest of the characters. If you prefer a challenge, I would stay away from them (as I will do for now).

Store/Equipment: The store is random and reset after each battle. Sometimes you get loot after completing a level, but that is rare enough to not count on it. You can upgrade existing equipment, and after lvl 5 it goes to the next tier.
    Note that trinkets (bottom equipment slot) can only be upgraded to level 5, they cannot be raised to the next tier. So for them it becomes especially important to upgrade them only when needed, as the next better one might show up before you finished upgrading; and then you just blew a good chunk of money out of the window.

Party / gameplay tips:
    - Achievements: Try to get them, as they provide nice rewards: extra gold and additional equipment to buy in the store. Most of them you should be able to get during normal gameplay.
    When you click on the "Achievements" button in the topright corner of the achievements screen, you see some nice statistics on what you got so far.
    As far as I can tell, for the "collect equipment" ones you do not have to hoard the stuff, it is enough to have it in your possession once. After that you can safely upgrade/sell it.

- Focus when upgrading equipment. When you have a lvl 1 piece, buying the next tier from the store is cheaper than upgrading it. What I do now is save cash until I have enough to upgrade one piece to the next tier. If I can buy the new item from the store first, fine. If not, I go straight through to the next tier. I had it happen a few times that I had an item on lvl 2 or 3 only, and then the next one showed up in the store. Also, hand down equipment from your main characters to the others, provided it is not too outdated/lowtier.

- Thieves: @heppi: you say you use the thieves. I found them a bit too squishy for melee characters, and with no skills that really shine. Personal preference, I guess. Does that change on higher levels? My thieves are only lvl 15, while the rest is ~20.

- Archers: My experience with them is good so far. Nice amount of single-target damage, you can keep them out of the fray, and it seems they have a high combo rate: I saw my archer pull off 5+ comboshots often enough to notice it even in the heat of battle. And their knockback comes in handy; you can just set him lose on a target that goes for him, and he keeps pushing it back while doing damage. Same goes for their slowdown skill: very good when used right.

- Healers: Both do a really good job so far, I do not have a preference here.

- Knights: Personal preference, different from heppi I like Hilde better, because having one great tank fits my playstyle. Knights have a skill that makes all monsters attack them, and Hilde can just sit there and laugh at it while my attackers pling away at the monsters.

- Mages: Excellent at both single-target and area damage. AoE is done via skills, though, so you need to upgrade those a fair bit to stay on top of the monsters.

- Quibble: The one thing I do not like about the ranged attackers is that unless something is right in their face they do not attack it automatically. Would have been better if their detection range matched their attack range.

@heppi: On which chapter/mission are you currently? Your approach sounds interesting, and I will give it a shot, after leveling up the other folks a bit more. How do you fare with the mass attacks in later missions, where you have up to 10 monsters onscreen at the same time? With that much opposition I need to blast away with area skills, as some monsters always go for my squishies (like Archer & Mage). The slowdown AoE skills are great for situations like that, at least for me.
    Do you use any of the Colossi? I have one on my Mage and Healer, as I did not like enough of their other current skills to fill all slots. For the Healer, I think you can actually do away with the Healing Poem (heal all party), as the Colossus provides very powerful healing as well.

2. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    You know, I'm curious now about something that is really beginning to get under my skin.

I know that when it comes to games, I look at whichever part of the game that truly excels at what it does. Great gameplay that tries its best to be original hooks me just as well as a well-told story. Conversely, if whichever category has elements about it that are a.) lazy, or b.) incompetent, then that grates on me over time and I just cannot follow through with the game as a result.

Whatever it is that grabs and/or shoves me away, does so because I want to see the tip of what artists on this platform are doing. I want to see genres and story concepts move forward, and I want to see the result of all the blood, sweat and tears the devs put into their games. If I cannot see that, and I INSTEAD see a lack if effort OR a poor/misdirected/underwhelming effort, then I will not play that game because a.) it is not the best on the platform, which is what every artist should try to be even if they do not ultimately make it, and b.) if the artist CAN do better, THEN WHY DON'T THEY DO BETTER?!

The core reason why I make such a big fuss about this and take the time to peel apart why and how I feel this way is because a.) I want devs (not just the ones who made the game) to see my reasoning and criticisms so they can learn from it (if possible; they may already be aware of what I may bring up), and b.) I want to elevate the discussion beyond "Is it fun? Then 5 stars!" because there can be far more to games than just being "fun".

Games can immerse you completely in a foreign world that you've never seen before. Games can challenge both your logic centers AND your reflexes, sometimes both at the same time. Games can give you the greatest triumphant feeling that no other art form can when you complete them. Sure, movies can make you cry, but games can make you sob. Games can break you down to your core emotions and completely rearrange how you see the world as a result. Games challenge your moral centers and ask you: which option is TRULY "right" or "wrong"... and does it really matter?

Faced with what a game COULD do, if a game fails to live up to that high a standard, then why bother?

Then again, that is how I see the matter. So I ask you fellows: what is it that grabs you about this particular game, Fantasy Adventure, and why does it grab you so?

I fail to see how this game is truly "worth it" because the story was both written poorly and presented lazily. That was enough to turn me away from it. And I want to know what keeps you fellows going and why, so that there is a record somewhere that people can later find and say "hey, this is interesting, these are things I never thought of before."

Anyway, I'm done rambling; I hope to see what you all think about what I said.

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

3. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Sometimes you just want Mac n cheese.

The caliber of game you are talking about, to me, is the masterpiece. From craft to art

Economically speaking, that's probably going to come from an indie developer. Either someone trying to make a mark or someone who has made a bunch of money and wants to do something more personal. There are exceptions—I think FF7 was a masterpiece, but that is because the lineage is so iconic that the developers feel a duty to push the limit with the series. (They could always get lazy though and go the way of most sequels.)

On the other hand, if there is a demand for the masterpiece, a big one, you might get companies investing more of these extra efforts—hiring a good writer vs going in house, etc. because people are willing to pay for it and because it is necessary for the ratings.

So the discussion is good. The caveat is that they are ultimately games and not to come off like someone looking for the best high because gaming addiction is a real thing and people will sense an unhealthieness. I get your zeal in the ambitions as a writer, but people Might not get that at first as you branch out to wider audience, which I am guessing you want to do.

4. heppi1234

heppi1234 Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Haha no way sheinfell, remember me from the galactic phantasy prelude forum?

Anyway...
    With the level 5 leech life on them I can just let them loose on their own with 2-3 enemy attacking and they just deal with it replenishing their own life as they destroy them. With the combo moves it means the quicker they slice the quicker they heal as well. Occasionally with large amounts of worthy opponents I have been forced to flick my healer onto them for a few seconds but never really a problem

See I was contemplating that just making her a tank in the centre n letting the rest run riot whilst they all attck her but that's not my style, plus my rolan is already very well upgraded would cost me prob over 100k to get hildes skills and equipment to same standard so thought better of it

I'm currently on 7-3. I normally get on pretty well with the mass groups, with the night fang (wolf) and night wind (rogue) both having leech life then take care of themselves, with Roland just prancing around getting healed. I normally tend to hide healer at the back out the way, then set 3 positions up around her so any enemy heading towards her will come into range of one of my three attackers, plus with that set up I don't HAVE to select targets as they will do it automatically, but I tend to prioritise, so if an enemy pops up that can do say freeze skill, I'll quickly click all three to take it down in 2/3secs flat, then return them all to their posts,

OR....

put all three together and just keep moving them round the screen taking each enemy in order, this is especially good for the later levels where several skilled enemies come at once, as well as quite high attack ones like the spiders that enlarge after loosing some health, not mention the little bomb dudes to. Going round as a team they rip through anything and never let a snow cub, scorpion or bird ever get a skill off

I did miss the AoE skills when I ditched delphonse, that freeze spell and fireball spell can quickly clear the field but I just got so sick of always having to click to kill as u said since if the enemy isn't right there it won't attack. I soon made up for it when I levelled the fighters enough to get leech life. I haven't yet used the colossus as I was planning on putting it on everybody at the same time, my wolf is still level 19. I didn't l ow it healed though thanks for that. I actually quite like the healing poem atm, I have my healer 100% support, she cannot attack enemies at all. But with her 3 support spells all level 5 a team can go from very nearly all dead to full health, extra resistance and increased stats in a few seconds, which I like...ALOT lol

How did u get on with galactic phantasy prelude anyway, did u manage to get your battle cruisers? Did they add anymore content?

5. MrAlbum

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    I do agree that balancing passion with presentation is very important. However, people get "highs" from just about anything that cheers them up. Could be a smiling toddler, or a letter from a loved one, or meeting someone famous, or seeing something awesome right outside your doorstep (I had a moose glare angrily at me... man, that spooked me! Thank God it didn't charge!). Anything can give you that euphoria. Should life itself be banned from our lives?

I do agree that abusing the brain's pleasure center is destructive and leads down the proverbial "road to ruin." But should all pleasure be denied out of fear of that specific scenario? No, because we would never be happy otherwise.

Maybe I should learn to focus more on what gives me a positive feeling then, and not harp on and on about the faults of a game after I mention them. That way, I can get stuff off my chest and move on to something that I enjoy.

One part of the reality is that humanity has not matured enough to fully accept the idea that people can bliss out for hours on end and yet still survive in this world. After all, we have done nothing but struggle against nature and our fellow humans for thousands of years. That's thousands of years of survival instincts, instincts for far more savage and trying times than what we currently face today, on an individual level.

I do not mean to say that atrocities do not continue to happen, or that the economic growth of humanity has been equal. I mean to say that humanity's potential to live in peace, prosperity and comfort is unreal compared to the potential we used to have. And I will illustrate this with the following concept:

Consider the year 1844. Consider the technological capacity that humanity had prior to that point. Then compare that to the technological advances humanity has accomplished since then.

I think you'll find that the technological capacity has increased at a ridiculously accelerated pace... in only 160-ish years.

Thus, I would like to put forth a theory: our technological capacity has far outpaced the evolutionary pace of our instincts. Thusly, on an emotional level, we are cavemen geared toward survival, but we're armed with atom bombs and other highly complex and devastating weaponry.

Thus, we still FEEL the drive, desire and instinctive push to survive, even when we live in comfort, peace and security due to our advanced technology.

It will most likely be at least a thousand or so years before humanity's collective instinctual character will naturally change into something more appropriate for the "digital age" we currently live in.

Now, this is what I have seen in regards to emotions and the highly general trends of humanity. I fully understand that emotions are only one side of humanity, that our reasoning capacity and/or intellectual knowledge is something entirely different from the emotions and instincts we currently have. Also, no two human beings are exactly alike; there are probably humans alive today who have trained their instincts in such a way as to be best suited for the technology and scientific capacity of today, which is quite an accomplishment considering how powerful emotions can be in a person.

In any case, those are some of my thoughts on the subject of game addiction. Yes, it was a massive circular tangent, but I guess I just needed to say it XD

Thanks for bearing with my crazy mind and its tangential, curved, meandering thought process (^_^)b

6. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Because other people don't even want the same things that you do. People are different, they like different things.

I'm personally not interested in emotional engagement with a hack-and-slash action RPG. If that's what you're looking for, you should probably avoid the whole genre entirely. That's not what the developers are going to aim for because it's not what their audience is looking for.

7. MrAlbum

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    By your own logic, how would you know that is what people playing action RPGs want?

It's a different kind of emotional investment, in a way. In theory, you get "attached" to your character(s) in an ARPG by shaping the character(s) however you want, depending on what your goals are for that particular character(s). Finding a build(s) that "works" for you means that you care enough about your character(s) to make that build(s) and optimize it so that it does what you desire. That can be an emotional investment, depending on whether or not it "grabs" you in that manner.

I should know; I've played Diablo 2 and 3, played Titan's Quest, The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, Guild Wars 2, Bastion, many of the more modern post N64 Zelda games (they're technically ARPGs) and many others that I have forgotten. I've played all three Dungeon Hunters (finished first 2, never "finished" 3), Swordigo, Aralon, Ravensword 2, countless KRPGs, and the Zenonia series... and I'm sure I missed a couple. I know how these games affect me on an emotional level BECAUSE I PLAYED THROUGH THEM. And yes, I got consistent results from these games.

Yes, it is true that no two people want the same exact things. It is also true that no two people "get" the same thing from the same game. So why the hell do things like "quality" and "crappiness" even matter the f***?

Because there is an underlying, objective reality of the thing being measured that lends itself to these different interpretations of the same thing. The more the different views are expressed and compared/contrasted with each other, the more the full objective truth becomes revealed, slowly yet surely. With clearer knowledge of the objective truth comes greater mastery over the rules of reality that define that object, and artists always take advantage of that. They have to; to not know art from as objective a viewpoint as possible is to not know what art really is. Thus, they have to know what art is objectively at least a little, or else they would not be able to make some form of art.

Thus, I refuse to believe that I should give up on an entire genre just because one game has some flaws, or that I should STFU and GTFO because people disagree. And I hardly think that developers should remain blind to the truth that different people will get different experiences from the same game. Heck, that could be a great gameplay concept: make a game where players have to satisfy a certain percent of NPCs, or risk some form of rejection, but none of the NPCs want the exact same thing. That would be one heck of a challenge depending on how a potential dev approaches the game.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on those matters. Feel free to share whatever reaction you may have; we may all learn something.

8. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    There's a lot of evidence from looking at what sells in the marketplace.

It doesn't mean anything about caring about the character. For most people, it's just choosing a playstyle that they like. Some players like killing enemies at range and so they choose one type of character build. Some players like wading into the midst of a horde and they choose another type of character build. Some players like variety and so they switch between different builds. Not very many players choose to generate less dps because that fits the emotional needs of their character.

You're the one who's resorting to cursing. I didn't tell you to stop posting. I think you're going to find it hard to find what you're looking for in this genre, any more than you're going to find people playing R-Type who try to equip their ship one way instead of another because they imagine it's what the pilot would want. But you're welcome to keep looking. You just shouldn't be surprised that most designers aren't focusing on the things that you want. I think if you keep describing the lack of the things you would prefer as "flaws", rather than as a deliberate design approach that appeals to most players of this type of game but doesn't suit your own particular desires, then you're generally going to antagonize people because it comes across as you saying that what you want is more important than what other people want, and that people should design games your way rather than some other way.

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yikes. Some interesting debate here. I for one, am enjoying the game. Is it a masterpiece? No. But is it fun? Yeah, I'm having a good time with it. And of all the Battleheart clones, I don't think I've found one that I've liked as much as this one.

Just my 2 cents.

10. MrAlbum

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    I am not sure that what sells is the only indicator of quality; there are free games that I have played on Newgrounds that rival if not surpass the creative efforts of commercial products, Duke Nukem Forever was critically and publicly trashed on release and yet it sold very well, Call of Duty games are notorious for being perceived as being "the same gosh darn game every year" and it is one of the top-selling franchises, Final Fantasy XIII diverged so much from the franchise's own cliches that it almost became unrecognizable as a member of the franchise and that did reflect very badly on it despite the high number of units the game sold, Zenonia's success spawned equally popular KRPGs that wildly vary in terms of quality in many ways, and so on and so forth.

Sure, I can see where you are coming from: public taste is apparent in spending habits. But is public taste the ONLY metric to determine quality? Might as well put that broken-arsed port of Pokemon Yellow on some sort of ironic "art" pedestal then, to use hyperbole, because it did sell well despite being absolutely non-functional in every way. Something similar could be done with The War Z, for a more recent example.

I agree that it is one factor; artists with more money and/or the capacity to earn more money can afford to take artistic risks and push the medium forward. So short answer, I agree that the money put into a game is one rule-of-thumb on its potential quality along with how successful the game is, but I disagree that it should be the only metric by which to judge a game's quality.

I attempted to speak about the opinions I had in as broad a sense as possible, and if you take another look I constantly try to say over and over again that my opinions are, in fact, only one subjective view of the truth. I also put forth the idea that other people's views are also subjective views of the truth, and that the combination of all these subjective view points helps determine what the objective truth looks like, in some manner. In other words, I never said that "my way is right and nobody else's view is wrong." I said "Everyone can see a piece of the truth, and if we share our pieces we can put the puzzle together and begin to see what it really looks like."

Here is what you said:

You did recommend that I give up action RPGs because, IF I SEE THIS CORRECTLY AND I COULD BE WRONG, you believed that I was whining because I didn't get what I wanted. I was not trying to do anything of the sort. I had critiqued the game by my own standard of "good" and "bad", and I found it more "bad" than "good", and I had attempted to simultaneously explain my reasoning behind my critique in response to criticism and acknowledge where others noticed some glaringly obvious flaws in my reviewing logic.

I do apologies for the cursing; I could have come up with a better descriptor for what I was trying to convey that did not use vulgarities, and I am sorry if that offended you.

The reality is, as far as I know, that it truly is impossible to predict what exactly any person can or will do in a given situation; there are people who are completionists when it comes to playing a game, and there are those who deliberately play games in a manner that makes things much harder to complete it for the sake of a challenge, and there are those who only want to experience the story with as minimal a gameplay as possible, and there are those who favor intense gameplay over story, and there are those who favor winning, those who favor losing, and possibly every single permutation ever conceived between any of those play styles and uncounted more play styles under the sun.

For a couple concrete examples, there are people who have finished the first Legend of Zelda game on the NES using only bombs. No other weapons, no use of the sword. THE. ENTIRE. GAME. Hardly an ideal way to play, but they did it!

My brother knew a fellow that never used magic or the Dragon Shouts or the fast-travel system in Skyrim because he felt like that would be "cheating". Heck, there are mods that make Skyrim significantly harder to play through by introducing hunger systems, hypothermia, stronger enemies, etc..., because reasons. No one modder ever had the exact same reason to make a mod as any other modder. People do things for whatever reason that makes sense to them, even when it makes no sense to anyone else.

Thus, should we really tell one person to leave just because "it's not what they want?" I say no, because outside opinions are extremely rare among gaming discussions, and they can see things that we miss. Things are almost always a mix of bad and good things; nothing can ever be objectively 100% "good". Their eyes do hold some piece of the puzzle of truth, after all, so why push anyone away who wants to share what they think? Sure, they may not have much of anything interesting to say, but it is impossible to know until they say their piece.

I state all this merely to explore the topics and see what parts of the actual truth of the matter can be uncovered. I always take an attitude with my discussions that whatever I contribute to a group discussion like this one no longer belongs to me. The idea now belongs to the collective group, to make of it whatever they will. Accept, reject, whatever they definitively decide with what I said I am fine with. Thus, it is horrifying to me that words of mine could be interpreted in any way as a verbal attack on another person, which I gathered was the case from the tone that you replied with, because that was never the true intent.

Thus, I apologize for somehow leading you to assume that I was trying to force my opinions down everyone else's throat; I have a habit of typing alot of long, wordy posts if you take a look at previous discussions in these forums where I participated, and I definitely do disagree with some established norms and I am not quiet about it. I am also quite passionate; when something comes along and catches me off guard, my words tend to turn into the stereotypical rant on the Internet, because when I am caught up in one of those moments I forget my manners and my own rules and just... type and type, with little regard to how what I type is viewed. It takes me a while to fully internalize new data while in that state, and I need to work on my politeness during that internalizing period. While I was not angry or vengeful during this particular discussion, I did become very, very passionate, and I am sorry if I got too carried away as a result.

Anyway, whether or not you truly understand all that I said, the TL;dr: I'm sorry if I offended people and/or tried to push my own opinion of what I think is "good" and "bad". I was merely sharing my opinion, BECAUSE THAT IS ALL I CAN DO ON THE INTERNET. I have no clue who you really are DaviddesJ; do you have any clue who I really am? The only thing the Internet can do is allow folks to communicate with each other, nothing more or less.

So calm down. I certainly need to calm down myself. There is absolutely no way that I can in any way hurt your physical body over the Internet, and I never meant to offend. Nothing is meant to be threatened, at least from me, I was just sharing how I saw things is all, and I will need to seriously reconsider my word choice now that I have seen your reaction.

I never meant any harm, and I never meant to claim any sort of authority over anyone but myself. I apologize for being way too buried in my own search for a deeper truth that I hurt people's feelings.

I'm sorry.

Make of that whatever you will; I am not sure if I can say what I just said in any clearer of a manner, but if I have to I will try.

Also, I will not edit my posts in this thread for any reason short of a moderator; better to keep them around so people can see the original context of what I wrote, so they can come to their own conclusions if they so wish... or at least that is the hope.

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

11. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Good lord you guys are too serious.......

12. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Ok let's face it battleheart doesn't have a story but nice graphics and charm it does have. Sefirah has charm story and a great feel to it. Fantasy adventure has a Nintendo ds feel to it cute graphics and has the shop style like battleheart which means by coins only you upgrade items(magic you couldn't upgrade in battleheart)

Hell the game is amazing for being free and the only iap in the game is coins and isn't even needed. But I'm glad we can't all see eye to eye on this game yes sound is iffy but I sense this was ment to be ds no iPod/iPad. Everyone brings up valid points.

13. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    My brain hurts...;):)

DBC

14. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    How about people who enjoy this game talk about the game those who don't continue to play battleheart this is turning into a essay lol

15. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I didn't say that what sells is the measure of quality. I said that what sells is the measure of what people want. "Quality" is inherently subjective. You're completely free to like stuff that's not very popular. There are a lot of things that I really like that are not very popular at all. My favorite TV shows always get canceled, etc.

Again, I never said anything about quality. I only said that the reason that games are the way they are is (often) because people like them that way. The reason that action RPGs don't focus on story or emotional engagement is that most of the people who want to play them aren't looking for story or emotional engagement, in that context. Whether adding more emotional engagement would make them "higher quality" is an inherently subjective question to which everyone will have a different answer. Some would like it more, but I think most would like it less. They don't really want to spend their time worrying about whether their 21st Level Orc Warrior is feeling conflicted about killing those kind dwarves who keep entering the dungeon. They just want to choose between the latest sword and axe they found based on which does more dps. That's all I'm saying.

I didn't tell anyone to leave. I didn't say that you should stop posting. I said I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for in this genre of games, and I explained why. That's it. It's just my opinion. You're free to keep looking and you're free to keep posting your opinions.

I'd personally prefer that you don't describe it as a "flaw" when someone makes a popular and successful game that doesn't give you what you're looking for, because you aren't in their target market. It seems egocentric to me, and makes me less sympathetic to your points. But that's up to you.

16. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    #76 Solarclipse, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    Really good strategies btw, thanks for sharing.

I find that I can send Roland and the wolf off on different fronts and just manage the Mage firing from a distance. I am very impressed that night moon can get up to 1000 damage. Wow.

I am wondering about saving up for those 2 special characters now. Pretty sure I know who they are :)

You get in a certain groove. It would be awesome to have a new game+ here to start with any character set you want. Too bad the devs aren't active here at all. I've really come to appreciate that about touch arcade forums, and didn't really realize until now just how special that is.

17. heppi1234

Sep 12, 2012
    Having devs active on ta is a godsend, it allows for vast improvements from constructive criticism from the people who actually play the game and spend their own personal cash on the game.

Just a shame when no active dev on board :(

18. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Oh right, we met there too :) And I stopped playing GPP around the time of my last post on that forum. Just too many other things to do. I still want to see how the story ends, so I will get back to it at some point, but it is low on my backburner.

That explains a lot. I spread out too much and leveled skills all across the characters, instead of focusing on only 4. I do not have life leech on any character yet, looks like that makes a big difference. Well, I like playing around with different party setups, so it takes me longer to get to the higher-priced skills/items.

I use your group now (Roland, Nightwind, Nightfang, Charlotte) and they do big amounts of single-target damage. My main "problem" now is that they are a bit weak in the defense department (no lifeleech), so I need to shift my healer around quite often. But things are getting better slowly, so I might stick with them for a while.
    Contemplating to replace either Nightwind or Nightfang with Hilde, just to see how that goes.

Note: Something is odd with the autotargeting. I noticed that Nightfang sometimes rushes off to the other end of the battlefield to attack a new monster; and other times he is standing there and doing nothing, with a monster almost right in front of him.

I really miss the "all attack" button Sefirah has. That is such a great addition to this kind of game, should be used more often.

Big yes to that, these little dudes are a royal pain...

The healer buffs are very well done in this game, and they make a huge difference. Same here, I really like them.

That does not give you much benefit, and here is why:
    Notice how it says "Shared Team Cooldown" in the Colossus description? This means that
    1) You can only have one Colossus active at a time.
    2) All Colossus skills in your party share one cooldown.
    Example: You have Colossus on Roland, Nightfang, Nightwind. Roland uses his Colossus. Now Nightfang and Nightwind cannot change into a Colossus at the same time. And the Colossus skills of all three characters go into cooldown.
    What I do is put this skill on characters where I cannot find any good active skills to fill all three slots. E.g. I do not like Nightfang's area skills (the one with the "light cone" icon, and the one that shoots beams in all directions), so he gets a Colossus.

And agree, too bad none of the developers is on here. I greatly appreciate responsive and helpful developers, a big plus for any game.

19. heppi1234

Sep 12, 2012
    Right.....game completed!!! I'll give u all a heads up without spoiling it....the last battle is TOUGH!! Don't feel shame in buying a few of the best items to use (I.E. health potion, attack increase) u will probably need them. Need to be on your A game for the final bonus

After finishing I'd love to give the game 4.5 star...but can't do that. Will have to be 5 due to it being free, if it was paid would definately be 4

20. MrAlbum

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    Now that I have a cool head, I realized something.

I am a Baha'i. Here is a quote from the Son of our Founder, Abdu'l-Baha regarding the Baha'i take on art:

"‘Should Prayer take the form of action?’

‘Abdu’l-Bahá.—‘Yes: In the Bahá’í Cause arts, sciences and all crafts are (counted as) worship. The man who makes a piece of notepaper to the best of his ability, conscientiously, concentrating all his forces on perfecting it, is giving praise to God. Briefly, all effort and exertion put forth by man from the fullness of his heart is worship, if it is prompted by the highest motives and the will to do service to humanity. This is worship: to serve mankind and to minister to the needs of the people. Service is prayer. A physician ministering to the sick, gently, tenderly, free from prejudice and believing in the solidarity of the human race, he is giving praise’."

Soooooo... Yeah. I do take art very seriously... and I apologizing for getting in people's faces about it. I was being a hot-headed idiot.

Will you all forgive me? :3