Universal Feeding Time (by Incubator Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Incubator

Incubator Active Member

Yup, we definitely put effort into making the badges balanced. They all present a different gameplay modifier, but the scoring is meant to stay consistent and competitive. During our internal playtesting, everyone's highest scores were actually all achieved using different badges!

2. theboxhead

theboxhead Member

Sep 5, 2012
    What type of matching is this?
    1. Slide a tile like Bejeweled?
    2. Slide a row like 10000000
    3. Line drawing like Puzzlecraft?
    Or some other mechanic? I couldn't tell from the video.

3. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Feeding Time's matching mechanic is new to me. I have played the games theboxhead has mentioned and I do not believe it is exactly like the mechanic in any of those games. It is a very good one though and works well in conjunction with the aspect of trying for the most points in a limited time period.

Here is an interesting article about the game that the developers linked from their twitter account:

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/06/25/post-arcade-interview-how-ios-puzzler-feeding-time-aims-to-get-beyond-the-free-to-play-status-quo/?__lsa=0beb-dc9c

These guys deserve a ton of credit for NOT going in the obvious free-to-play route.

4. Incubator

Incubator Active Member

Feeding Time works a bit differently from those games, although at its core the mechanics are about matching. The player initiates a match by tapping on one of the animals that line the four sides of the board. The board is filled with different types of food, and if the tapped animal pairs with the food next to it (dog eats bone), all of the foods are snatched up.

Once the foods are eaten, the rest of the board slides around to fit the empty spaces -- allowing the player to maneuver foods into longer chains -- and left over spots are filled with new foods.

It looks a little like this:

[​IMG]

Hopefully that explains it a bit better and you give the game a try!

5. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    #25 Alex Wolf, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    Looks great :)) will buy it soon

Iphone good enough to make the icons not too small?

6. theboxhead

theboxhead Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Excellent, that helps quite a bit! So did that article. I'm intrigued, new matching mechanics are rare. Buying now. Thanks! :)

7. Incubator

Incubator Active Member

I actually play it on my old 3GS in a 320x480 resolution, and it works fine. We also included art assets for various resolutions in the universal build instead of just resizing them on the go so it doesn't look too garbled (hence the larger file size mentioned before).

Glad to hear you'll check it out -- let us know what you think when you do!

8. theboxhead

theboxhead Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Really enjoying the game so far! Love the lack of IAP and the quality feel.

9. theboxhead

theboxhead Member

Sep 5, 2012
    #29 theboxhead, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    Stuck on one of the bonus goals. It says to get at least 1000 points using joker's powerup. I think that just means the first powerup on the board while using the joker badge. If so, I've done that a few times, but it won't clear the goal. Any ideas?
    Edit: Nevermind, got it

10. Gamer1st

Gamer1st Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    None. But I dream about being able to work again.
    USA
    Bought.
    Now all I have to do is figure out where to put it....

11. Incubator

Incubator Active Member

Glad to hear it!

Thanks for the positive feedback so far guys, and please rate/review the game here on Touch Arcade and on the AppStore to help it get noticed!

12. epedemix

epedemix Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    I wouldn't consider myself a match-3 connoisseur, but I've played my fair share of the genre. This is certainly a fresh and unique execution of the match-3 mechanics. If puzzle/ matching soothes your fancy, do check this game out.

13. aceupsleeves

aceupsleeves Member

Jul 8, 2013
    You should integrate multi device cloud save in the next update.

14. uFinKnow

uFinKnow Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    I purchased from all the good reviews. I agree this a winner. Cheers

15. Incubator

Incubator Active Member

We'd love to, as well as add a bunch of new content, but we'll have to see how it performs first.

16. Incubator

Incubator Active Member

Thanks, appreciate the support!

17. sharfaust

sharfaust Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Install size?

18. Incubator

Incubator Active Member

It's 619 Mbytes once everything is uncompressed. As mentioned earlier on in the thread, we wanted Feeding Time to be a universal build but included 3 different art sizes to avoid blurry resizing. Since we also didn't want to cut down on the hand-drawn animations the final package is fairly sizable, but hopefully worth the effort in the end.

19. sharfaust

sharfaust Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2013
    It's a very cool looking game with an attractive price. I'd like to try it out, but that install size is killer. Space is at a premium, so it doesn't look like I'm going to try it. Thanks for the reply and good luck with the game!

20. Incubator

Incubator Active Member

No worries, and hopefully you'll be able to check it out one day. Cheers!