Fellow devs, unite for untold riches!!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Kyle Poole, Mar 10, 2010.

1. REANIX

REANIX Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    So many different Titris!
    Oh, how about the Titris with physics and match3, try my game
    Action Egypt Free:http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/action-egypt-free/id359582721?mt=8

2. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

3. GamerOutfit

GamerOutfit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Not sure hows that really different than Warioware or some of the other games out there that people most usually don't call crapware. Seems like a viable concept really.

4. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    #24 Carlos, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
    Well, this idea has been already used.
    It probably only worked once - but anyways, wish you luck!

Besides, I'm hoping that the crap slowly disappears from the AppStore (yeah, those guys are probably flooding now the Android Marketplace :p)

5. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    If more devs are interested, I can contribute with 2 apps. Well, 2 slight variations of one app. :D

6. galent

galent Active Member

I am intrigued, the business premise is sound. I'm not ready to start calling my game crap, however I will say my sales have been.

My questions:

how would you publish a compilation to the app store? My game (with apple DRM) is 18 Mb. A shell wrapper?

How long would apple take to test such a beast? (ie too many in one bundle may be over kill)

OR....

write a small game wrapper, that downloads X number of games on purchase?

then provide in-app bundle extensions (for a fee)?

Thoughts?

Galen

7. galent

galent Active Member

Ok, so in a sick (i'm still thinking aloud type of way) I'm going to extend my own post....

So you'd have to be real careful with the positioning, if it looks too much like a app store inside the app store Apple will strike it dead faster than we can blink. So, my in-app purchases idea may be off.

but, bundle that downloads on start would probably still work (with our own advertising built in to announce future bundles)....

Again thoughts? (this time I'll wait to hear from others :D )

Galen

8. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    the best way to deliver this is call it 1000 games in one, for 99 cents.

Little do they know, the 1000 games is all the same boring game, but with a different background.

9. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Well I'm actually serious about this, but not about the crap part... I'm putting together themed bundles of 10 decent quality games. Eg Puzzle game bundle, action bundle, etc. Games that are good but could not get visibity on the app store, or perhaps older games whose sales have died down. I have already secured $10,000 in funding to kick it off.

Bundles of 10 good games have a great chance to dominate the charts, as well as provide good profits to the devs. The new website will be launched in a day or two, but devs that want in on the ground floor can contact me for more details...

10. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    I am the player.
    I am the customer.

And I am interested in Your efforts :)

Keep it up to prepare list of those "decent" games. It may be like... RESURRECTION. :)

11. ylyu5

ylyu5 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Game Producer
    Hong Kong
    I will also join if the idea get working :)

This is really a wonderful idea. Definitely draws much attentions, which help indie developers with limited budge to do the promotion.

But I am not sure this is good or bad.
    In the evolution of App Store, we witness many new marketing strategy: Lite Version, Price Reduction, Free for a period. These strategies now becomes a part of the normal phenomenon of App Store. If the new idea comes true, we may predict that more developers will use the strategy. We will see more and more "bundles" of games appearing on the App Store. When customers get used to the new form of App Store, they might not think about single games anymore, except from those big companies such as EA, gameloft. Lower price market will not situable for single app anymore, while higher price market are still occupied by high budge games from big companies. This might destroy our own future since our new game must also be included in these bundles but not as a individual game.

I am not sure my prediction is correct or not. Maybe this is only my silly thought. Actually I think I will join you if the idea comes true. I am just trying to consider both side o the uncertain future, and wondering why this phenomenon is not happening on console game market (Maybe I haven't noticed?). As a game developer of the fast growing App Store, I think we have the responsibility to make sure the store evolve in a healthy direction. Please correct me if my prediction is wrong.

12. galent

galent Active Member

@ ylyu5 - I would say your concern is valid. The big companies already complain that indie game devs, rushing to hit the .99 cent mark have already devalued the iPhone market. Compare it to the Nintendo DS, or PSP market, games just aren't .99 cents. And, this happened with Windows (and to a lesser extent Mac) games. So there is case history for that happening. It's not been shown that single games are "out", it just raises the bar on what people will buy stand alone.

Eventually, someone will do this anyway, so ... we'll see. Of course, as with Windows indie market, eventually the big players will find a way to deliver what indie's just can't touch (either through investment, resources, or through improvements in mobile tech which allows for much more). And so, the "hey day of the 80's, will come and go again to become the "hey day of the early 2000's" for indies. As an indie dev, I hope not... but, as a realist, I either break into the market, or I'll be back to personal enjoyment of dev, dreaming of how it might be. *sigh*

So, until then, any idea might be the great one that provides a path to success! I don't discount any good idea, just because I don't see yet how this all might go.

cheers,

Galen

13. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Let's do this and see how it turns out. ;)

14. caterpi

caterpi Active Member

Feb 28, 2010
    OMGOMGOMG, I'm going to learn programming + buy a macbook for this. where do I start?? how do I learn programming? But I have a better idea, some kind of survival game. You include 30 minigames or so, and each lasts for like 10 seconds and you try not to die. Sorta like grid16

15. aros2k

aros2k Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Theres games like that already that havn't troubled the top of the charts

16. egarayblas

egarayblas Well-Known Member

I've thought of making a gamepack a while back but inviting others is much better! Great idea! Assuming that this 100-games-in-1 becomes the #1 paid app, it could earn roughly a few thousand bucks per day. Divide that by 100 developers and everyone gets a chance to at least generate a revenue. Imagine also if there are a hundred of us promoting a single app--the combined effort could produce exponential results! I'm interested to find out how this works and I would like to include one of my games.

Question now is, how do I join? :)

17. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    I have a new website up with more information. I'm getting a great response from indie devs, so there will likely be very targeted bundles with quality games. I think a themed bundle of 10 good indy games for $0.99 will be a great seller!

Devs can check out the website for more info, and contact me with their app details if they are interested...

18. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    I will definitely be joining this. But, hmm, would this game compilation be offered through that AppBundles site's service? I dont want to sound like a cheap bastard, but, it says on their site that they take in 15% of the earnings from the 70% that usually goes to the devs after apple's 30%. So it would be 55% earnings instead of 70% to be divided between each developer. Then the game pack should really be at the top of the charts to make any worthy gains, wouldnt it?

19. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    while i think it is a good initiative - it is important to know what that 15% really gets used for; seems quite high when you think about it. since it isn't possible to buy advertising space with apple - just getting advertising space with websites isn't going to get your app in front of the mass market of iphone users. i would prefer to give apple 45% and then have them promote it internally than depend on an external resource.

i already have an application bundle - it doesn't do any different from any of my other games, so it surely isn't just about bundling things together - you need to do more than that.

20. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Yea, they should be more detailed into what does that 15% goes for. It better be some very great and effective marketing and promotion effort. Sucks that apple doesnt do promotion of apps, or does it?

Really, how many apps are in your bundle? Like someone said before, maybe there could be a TouchArcade-themed bundle to make it more visible in the AppStore. ;)