Universal Fightback - (by Chillingo Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Mysticpete

Mysticpete Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Ipod 4 g support? Anyone know if it now plays on ipod 4G?

2. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #42 MrMojoRisin, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    I got this with my CA account when it soft launched there. Have they reduced the GAWD AWFUL wait times to simply play a level? This is a fast paced game, where a single level might take a minute to beat, plus getting the moves all down takes a bit of practice, and COULD be fun if you didn't have to wait so long to try again. That literally saps ALL the fun out of this game.

And no, paying to try again sooner is NOT an option, and it never will be for me.

Sell this game for a few bucks with iaps that make you stronger (and thus the game easier), but still make it possible to win without them if you are skilled enough, and I'd probably buy it.

NOTE: The above rant was solely directed at the initial soft launch version. I have not played the actual release version yet, but I will soon and give my impressions, as this really did have some potential.

3. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Hopefully the timers have changed since the Soft Launch. They were very frustrating.

4. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    I too am hoping the timers are less offensive or nonexistent. Ninja Theory is one of my favorite developers.

5. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Timers are still there. Now there is a survival level you can play whenever you want, so the better you get, you will get more and more play if you play that level a lot, but it still takes a stamina point. And you have 6 stamina points that take about 5 min to recharge ONE of them.

Also, this game is out in the US now so you can check it out for yourself if you live there and were waiting for 11pm.

6. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    What's in the 9.99 IAP? Just consumables or hopefully some permanent upgrade to tone down the freemium?

7. Timers? Yuck!

8. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Out worldwide it seems, though I'm reluctant to start playing it if there are timers...

9. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Game Impressions

I've played Fightback for about an hour and I feel as if the timer isn't intrusive at all, assuming you have a few other games to play on your devices. The timer has to due with your stamina.

The sounds, visuals, and production values are extremely polished.

There are 850 achievement points but no leader board.

On each of the levels so far, you can earn 5 medals- a gold, silver, bronze, perfect, and timer medal for beating the level by a certain time. There are numerous missions, such as finishing off 50 enemies with one punch and evading a certain amount of attacks.

As for IAP, you can either buy gold or cash to spend in the game.

As someone mentioned on the previous page, there is a survival level that let's you level up, earn money to buy weapons and upgrade them. Think of it as an endless mode.

This is like Streets of Rage meets Double Dragon meets Final Fight.

I really am enjoying it, but like I said, I'm only about an hour into the game.
    Definitely worth downloading!

10. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Freemium IAP trap? Sounds like it.

Nice graphics though.

11. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Oh, it's fun, for sure. It just has that crappy energy bar. If you can look past that, it's a great action game. It's just a shame that such polished and fun gameplay is marred by the freemium trappings.

12. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    After playing further, I noticed that there is IAP grinding, but you can replay levels to earn more cash. I still haven't spent real money though...

It's still worth a download, and it seems that so much effort was into producing this game. The gameplay, which is most important, is tons of fun.

13. You saved me time to download. Thanks.

14. chamillion205

chamillion205 Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
    hotel cook
    BIRMINGHAM
    It was a fun game.... But the freemium model is a big no for me... Had to delete it. Now if the have a just full out pay for a full game, I'll be happy to buy it.

15. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    A superb and polished brawler, destroyed by timers and a big money pit.
    I really hope at some point, they start to release premium versions besides this freemium crap version. More than willing to spend 5-10 dollars on a game, but never on consumables - never !

16. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Looks good, but freemium?? No thanks, I'll pass.

17. falco

falco Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Canada
    Waiting time now on fighting games fk no thx

18. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    To each their own.
    I delete any game that has an "Energy" mechanic immediately. If people want to play them though, whatever. To be fair, I deleted this before I hit a stop in play because of a timer. It's a fun little diversion. Just knowing that the moment is coming that I can't play any more ruins the enjoyment for me.

The gameplay is a lot less streets of rage and a lot more... I don't know the names of examples. Games where you tap left or right of your character as objects come at you. In this case the objects are people. There's a lot of different moves based on gestures and depending on what move you're coming out of. Overall it's a decent game if you are willing to get passed the fact the pay model is the same as an 80's arcade. I'm not.

19. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    It's free, people should know what to expect by now. As for the game itself it's fun and very well put together, I won't be getting into the IAP stuff but then I'm not the target demographic. Ninja Theroy are a severely underrated developer, they've created a really good beat 'em up regardless of the monetisation model, very well done. One thing I would down them on points for is the Maori tattoo, if you're going to be cultural best to use accurate reference as there is aboslutely nothing Maori going on with the in game ink, you could end up offending someone.

Otherwise it's good, it's freemium, it's fun, it has a very decent beat 'em up model that's well suited to touch.