Final Fantasy I and II

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Lungkisser, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatorsxrule

gatorsxrule Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    School
    Florida
    Pssshhh, I already got final fantasy 1,2 and 3 on my iPod :p

2. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Actually, the first Dragon Quest did that (which took after Wizardry and Ultima) but is hardly credited by Western reporters because it isn't a well-known series in the West. However its influence in Japan is vast and huge.

The FF's that influenced other Japanese devs in a major way were IV (the ATB system, with regards to utilising unique combat systems), FFV (its comprehensive job system) and FFVII (its cinematic presentation).

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Not the PSP versions of 1 and 2.

4. iball

iball Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Yup. Of course, if they port over Final Fantasy VII they will have officially arrived and will sell craploads of that one game alone.
    It's already possible to run FF VII on the iPhone 3GS as many of you already know.

(And Crisis Core can DIAF)

5. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    I'm incredibly excited for these 2. Simple RPGs like 1 & 2 should work wonders on the iPod Touch :D

6. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    No, it is being realistic. SE are much more careful with their later FF's. FFIII may be a go, IV very very unlikely, but V and beyond? SE will be counting on their remakes for more successful platforms first before they start treating them the same as FFI and FFII.

7. gatorsxrule

gatorsxrule Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    School
    Florida
    Eh, the originals are always better

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    In term of total sales, there are few platforms as successful as the iPhone/iPod Touch right now. The question has been whether there's a big enough gaming market (a subset of the platform's installed base, obviously) to support these kinds of games, particularly in the US. The fact that SE is committing resources to port FF1 and FF2 suggests that they believe it could be profitable.

FF VII takes up about 1.2 Gbs on my PSP and has yet to be truly ported to any portable platform, so yeah, I doubt that it's coming any time soon. If SE makes good money off of FF1 and FF2, however, I see no reason why they wouldn't bring other games in the series that have already made it to the GBA and DS.

9. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #49 GDSage, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
    Again, you're investing too much into the meaning of FFI and FFII. The Wonderswan got them. Yes, it means they saw the platform was worth for yet another milking of the milked out duo, but beyond that...

As for successful there is one that is clearly (miles and above) more successful in both userbase and software performance and another that though not in hardware has proved to be almost as successful as the other in SquareEnix software success especially in Japan (the main market for most of these games).

EDIT: Just to clarify, all I am saying is not to get hopes up. III and IV could appear on the App store but is unlikely and it getting I and II doesn't really say much about the chances because those two are on everything. The rest, if they do come will take a very long time (years) because SE has noted it doesn't want to squander the freshness of the later games for when they release the inevitable remakes for them on other portable systems, because of what happened with the FFIV remake.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #50 squarezero, Jan 21, 2010
    I think getting our hopes up is perfectly reasonable. Expecting it any time soon, however, wouldn't be.

As you know, there's already a version of FF IV on the DS (and, by the way, it was also ported to the Wonderswan, according to Wikipedia). Not sure what the risk would be to port it to the iPhone OS.

11. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yeah, if III and IV go to the App store I wouldn't expect them to be the remakes. It will be the originals (well, for FFIV the GBA enchanced one), not least because they'll be quick and cheap porting-wise.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Hey, considering that IV is such as landmark, I'd be very happy with that.

13. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Indeed, especially if it is the enhanced GBA port. Excellent version of FFIV, with a good load of extra gameplay content.

Now, the only thing you need pray for is TOSE handling these ports well. TOSE can sometimes surprise you (pleasantly) with their ports, but often they muck it up.

14. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

SE would port FF 1&2 to a Texas Instruments calculator from 1973 if they could. It's their go to, throw away games it seems like. That's not necessarily a criticism, but 1&2 are on just about every platform, mostly I think to test the waters for sales.

I like 1 quite a bit, but never cared for two. I'd love to see some of the others ported over, so for that reason I hope they do well.

15. NolbertoS

NolbertoS Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    I'm happy that square enix is listening to the "money hats" errr meant fans, yeah that's it ;) I hope the release the dragon quest games on the iPhone. Nothing like playing final fantasy or dragon quest on the go.

16. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    This annoys me. I guess I'll just wait for Final Fantasy Xlll. :eek:

17. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    good news but i hope they'll make an original RPG for the iDevice
    and i'm also hoping for Chrono Trigger ;)

18. veecheech

veecheech Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Minnesota
    FFXIII would be amazing, as would Tactics.

This will definitely help with the FF craving though. I'm pumped!

19. Santoron

Santoron Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    The PSP remakes of these two games were my first encounter with either, and I agree completely. 1 is a solid JRPG, and will instantly find a home on my phone, if for nothing more than to support "the cause". 2 won't be getting another purchase though.

As 5 and 6 are the only two Proper FF titles not in my collection at the moment, I'd LOVE to see them announced. But I'm not holding my breath just because of this announcement.

20. 3mooonuel

3mooonuel Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    High school student
    Tamaulipas-Mexico
    #60 3mooonuel, Jan 21, 2010
    uhhmm ,,, is this exiting? ,, the iphone can handle much more! i want FFVII or FFVIII !

i already have those games (FFI,FFII,FFTactics, and the psx ones) on my jailbroken ipod