Final Fantasy III by Square Enix

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by yodaliu, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The DS version (complete with FMVs and all that other good stuff) was 128MB in size, but the size of the IPA file could increase significantly if Square Enix decides to add in retina support (not very likely, but hey...).

2. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    Seriously? Only 128mb? Awesome! And yeah, we can only hope they increase the texture resolution up a notch. But I got the feeling that maybe DS' data format have better compression than Apple's IPA format. What do you reckon?

3. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    My sincere guess is that they won't be releasing the DS version without being revamped at least to iOS graphics resolutions and standards (not necessarily including "Retina" in this statement).

FF1 and FF2 were ports from the PSP and look good on the iDevices (well, I can't say for FF2 as I only have FF1 - I imagine FF2 looks just as good), SoM looks good (and was upgraded in graphics from the SNES version), and although not a FF game they did release "Retina" graphics for Chaos Rings.

I also think I saw screenshots from what they are working on for FFT for iPhone which appears to have improved graphics from the PSP version. So I have faith that Square will be doing some improvement work on the FF3 port coming soon.

I've been very please with the production values on the iOS for the three Square games I have on my iPhone and I have no reason to doubt that FFT and FF3's production values will be similarly good.

4. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    You made some solid points there. But after reading that last bit, I'm thinking that they're going to sell the game at about the same price as Chaos Rings (considering the fact that the game utilizes 3d graphics). Hope I'm wrong though.

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #45 Vovin, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

Signed.
    Square / Enix takes the iOS platform seriously, so they'll put some effort on the FF3 port.

I also think that this game will sell at 12.99$, like Chaos Rings.
    But that's ok with me - the DS version was 2-3 times more expensive.

6. DopyG

DopyG Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Square Enix really does a good job imo :)

FF1, FF2 and Chaos Rings?

And now FF3?

A part of me wants to buy the Xperia Play phone (PSP Phone), but if Square Enix wont take it serious like iOS then I'll just keep rocking iOS (perhaps an iPhone 5 to summer?)

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Don't forget Square/Enix: Song Summoner, Secret Of Mana, Crystal Defenders, Hills and Rivers Remain, Lara Croft and The Guardian Of Light and Vanguard Storm for the iOS! :p

I bet with the iPhone6 (or maybe 5, after a long while), we will also see FF6 + 7. Guess they're just waiting for the iOS devices to have more power for polished versions of these games.

8. legoshoes

legoshoes Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2010
    I'd say that the iphone 4 and ipad could currently handle something on a par with FFVII Crisis Core. There's nothing to stop them remaking their most popular, but maybe they're waiting until they can release them on as many platforms as possible so as to stop entitled idiots getting all upset.

I'd be fine with waiting a while for the games, if squeenix are doing what they did with GBA rereleases, i'd be happy, the natural progression from 1 to 6 would suit me fine and if they made the DS version of FFIV for iphone i'd be a happy man.

9. donner

donner Well-Known Member

snes4iphone is a great way to enjoy snes classics on your iphone if you're jailbroken. Works flawlessly for turn based rpg's. Of course you need to own the original copy of the game to be able to legally own and play the game rom's.

I am lookiing forward to the DS remakes for iOS though - FFIII & FFIV!!!

10. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    To those who've played this game before--how is the story? I absolutely loved FFVI when I was young, but going back and playing FF1 & 2 on iOS I was disappointed with how dull the characters were. I know, they were some of the first &tc, and good for the time. I'm just wondering if FFIII was a significant step forward in the story and character development departments.

11. donner

donner Well-Known Member

FFIII was originally a NES release. It is by far the best of the first 3 final fantasy's, but is nowhere close to FFIV, V or VI in my opinion. It isn't heavy on story, but uses the customizable class/job system similiar to FFV. It's a good game, but FFIV is what really got the ball rolling in terms of epic storylines that final fantasy is known for.

I'll be happy to have it on my iphone, but I'm REALLY looking forward to the FFIV DS remake to be ported over. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it ported over later this year. Fingers crossed!!

12. Loganaustin

Loganaustin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    PLEASE BE THE DS VERSION, i like the 3d graphics, im not a huge fan of the 2d graphics in ff1 and 2, but thats just my opnion not sure about how other people like the graphics

13. donner

donner Well-Known Member

This will be the DS version. It's the same box art/logo as the DS version. It's currently the only US port / remake of that version anyways and I'm sure its MUCH easier to port the DS version then build a new 2D version from scratch.

14. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    When you say FFIV and V you're talking about the original Japanese versions? Or did you play them on the DS also/instead?

I've only played FF1, FF2, and then skipped straight to FFVI/US FFIII since I grew up in the US and have never owned a DS.

15. Loganaustin

Loganaustin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    hope ur right

16. Yeater42

Yeater42 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Does anyone know what generations will be able to play this? im praying 2G

17. donner

donner Well-Known Member

Well, apart from the NES version, the DS version is the only other one that exists.....

18. mister-k81

mister-k81 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    British Columbia, Canada
    This answers the question on which version of Final Fantasy 3 we will be getting:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/23/ff3_iphone_detailed/
    It will be based on the DS version, as most people have expected. I would've preferred to see an updated 2D port (like FF1 and FF2) but I suppose that it is easier for Square to just give the DS game a face lift instead of starting over from scratch again. Not really complaining too much about it though and i'm sure many people here will be happy that it is the DS version :)

Personally, the two FF games that I want the most on the iOS are FF4 and 6 (released as 2 and 3 in North America) because they were the two that I spent the most time playing when I was young. Though, when they get around to porting FF4 (and I'm sure they will), I have to wonder if it will be a port of the DS game, or the PSP 'Complete' version?

19. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008

Thanks for the headsup. Looks like I'd be picking this up along with FFT. Sounds like they are redoing the sound and music, too, which is always awesome coming from Square.

20. Artunit

Artunit New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    I hope it will be the same as the 3D remake in DS.