Final Fantasy IV - $15.99 -> $10.99

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by syntheticvoid, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Great! Loved FFIII for iPad, time to pick this up. And universal app? What have they done with Squeenix and it's stupid penny- pinching ways, eh?

2. rezzo

rezzo Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2012
    +1

Really? thanks for the info, has been very useful.

Final Fantasy I .... $3.99
    Final Fantasy II ... $3.99
    Final Fantasy III .. $8.99
    Final Fantasy IV .. $10.99
    total.... $27.96

I'm seriously considering buying them all. I have none FF in iOS. Only some CHAOS RINGS and the DEMONS 'SCORE (very addictive in my opinion) from Square-Enix.

3. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Picked up final fantasy 2.

4. roninld

roninld Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Picked up IV and added to my folder of 1, 2, 3.

Now to find the time to start playing these!

5. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Damn, i guess ill pick this up since they look so shiny all together in a folder. I wonder how much money Squeenix makes on FF remakes and ports. I already have this on the DS,the PsOne classic on Vita and the 2d revamped psp version and on GBA and it isn't really one of my favorites like VIII, VI and V.

Great game, still better than most rpgs on the platform.

6. rezzo

rezzo Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2012
  7. Silvestris

Silvestris Well-Known Member

For a total newbie, what FF game do you think is the best for ios?

Also, the games are all stand-alones, right?

8. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Yep they are stand alone games. Of the ones aviable right now it would be FF III mainly for the customizable job system, but you cant really go wrong with IV or even the first two if you dig classic jrpg gameplay.

9. Alfalfa

Alfalfa Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    No, go with 4. Story is so much much much better and generally a better game. In fact, FFIV is probably the best FF made(just my opinion).

FF1 and 2 are very traditional, so I wouldn't jump into those as a starter. If you want to go retro, start with FF1.

10. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Personally, I loved FFIII and disliked FFI. Never played any FF before and only a couple of real JRPGs.
    I am picking IV during this sale, just have to finish some stuff and free space on my IPad.

Anyway, I advise against starting with I - it's design is way too archaic and bare-bones without the difficulty that might have made it interesting in an old-school kind of way. IMHO, YMMV.

11. Alfalfa

Alfalfa Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Yep I agree. It's really for the hard retro gamers.

12. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Although I played 1, 2 and 3 when I was a kid, I think you might find them too barebones these days. IV was the first one that made me fall in love with the characters because it's the one where good stories in FF games were introduced.

Since they're not overly complicated games (they're all grindy tho) I'd start with 4, you don't really need previous FF experience to play it.

Also IV is a more refined game since it was released for the Super NES, the previous ones were originally 8-bit NES games.

Haven't played V since it wasn't released in English at the time, so from the Nes/Snes ones, IV and VI are the best for me.

13. FF1 and 2 are barebones - I loved FF3, and I've got FF4 - it's very much like FF3. I'd advise buying FF4 in the sale while it lasts.

14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    LOL... there'd be no FF3 or 4 if it werent for the game designs of 1 and 2. :D

15. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I loved 1, 2 and 3 on the NES but didn't feel like buying the iOS ones. I was not gonna buy IV either but when I watched the iOS trailer I remembered why that game made me love the FF series - it was the first one I thought that felt truly epic because of the characters and storyline, I paid around 70 bucks for the Snes cartridge and it was worth it (it wasn't released in Brazil so I had to buy a very expensive imported American game).

Looking forward to V because I never played it, and I hope they release VI and VII too (my fav is X, I guess some next generation iPad will be able to run a HD port of it, but I can wait since it hasn't been that long I played it)

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    5 is epic because of how much customization you can do with your party. Anyone can be any FF class and can have any of their skills too.

17. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I'll definitely buy it, although the ones I really loved (4, 6, 7 and X) were mostly because the storied clicked with me. As much as I found XII (last one I beat) awesome (gfx, combat etc), the forgettable story (IMHO of course) made me not like it as much as the ones I mentioned.

But of course I'll try V :)

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    You're definitely right about 1 thing... That 5 is a step back when it comes to the story, as it didnt have twists that make you go "Ooooh..." or "Aaaah..." or in the case of FF6... "WOAH WTF!"

It still has a great story when compared to what we generally have in the appstore, but just a little bit behind in terms of FF plots.

FF6 is probably my favorite story-wise, then 7 comes a close second. 8 had too much love story for my taste, but 8 had more emotion than previous titles i guess.

X was also one of my favorites, and I like the narrative they did, as it is more of Yuna's story in Tidus's eyes, and Jecht is still one of the best FF characters i've known, especially after having delved deeper into his story in Dissidia.

19. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    I've picked up 4 already, at these prices is 3 a must have? You can see the games I tend to like from my sig. I'm also just as concerned with the time investment as I am with the money, I don't have a lot of time to game.
    PS -- Loved FF X and Crisis Core, hated Chaos Rings.