Final Fantasy IV by Square Enix

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Haruhi, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Story: The basic "save the world" plot is still the same as always, but there is more of a focus on story. Instead of playing as a no-name character, you're playing as characters who each have unique back-stories and develop over the game. Much better than FFIII IMO.

Gameplay/mechanics: Instead of being strictly turn-based, the combat system has been changed so that you have "active-time bars." Faster characters fill the bar at faster rates, and you can only perform actions after the bar is completely filled up. The bar is then reset to 0 and the process happens again. The basic mechanics remain the same though. My only complaint about the gameplay in FFIV compared to FFIII is the removal of the job system.

Difficulty: FFIV is supposed to be more difficult, but I never had much trouble in the game. Then again, I've played almost every Final Fantasy game.

Graphics: Same chibi-style 3D models as in FFIII.

You'll love FFIV.

2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I guess I'm only worried about the difficulty since some people on the forum here have said it's really hard. Though I've played almost all of the never FFs so I'm no stranger to grinding.

Sounds fun with the active time bar. It reminds me of the newer FF games I played. All the jrpgs I've played on the ipod are strictly wait your turn. Ahh I can't wait..

3. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Assuming you liked ff3....get ready for a treat cuz this game takes everything you love about ff3 (minus the job system) and completely betters it in every way. No job system but the trade is much much more character depth and personality. Get ready to love these characters and their individuality. Also it takes any frustration out of ff3 and adds save points in dungeons. Difficulty is not a grind fest, but leveling up is recommended.

There's not a single aspect of ff4 that I cannot say isn't better than ff3. Be ready to be impressed.

4. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    FF4 and 6 are the best ever made...10 will be a nice add to the vita if its actually done though...but seriously ...this is the one square game you need for ios!

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    6 and 7 are my favorites. Kefka made FF6 the best one due to the wtf moment he caused. First time i played it i totally went WTF with what he did. As for 7, materia system is still one of my favorite RPG mechanic and who would not love the world of gaming's most memorable cast?

6. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Really appreciate the time taken to provide a comparison. Cheers! Bit disappointed about the removal of the job system (although I'm still at the Wind Crystal stage in FFIII 8 and a half hours in) - however, greater character depth and personality is a trade-off I'd be willing to make.

Glad to hear that FFIV betters the FFIII experience. I enjoy the old school elements in terms of how you find out more about the World as you progress (namely Sealed Cave can be considered the tutorial), and areas open up with minimal restriction - save occasional progression of storyline or getting your ass handed to you.

I'll pick this up once I've finished FFIII, as well finally finishing Avadon.

7. Linebarrel86

Linebarrel86 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Cog in the corporate machine.
    In my skin...
    Really excited to play this.

I'm hoping for FF7 and 8 personally.

8. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #88 L.Lawliet, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
    FF8 most likely never unless we're speaking maybe a few years from now. With those graphics the game is just way too big for any file size on the app store.

FF7 is more plausable but there's no way that's happening until they do a "remake" which isn't even happening anytime soon. All the fans are clamoring for a remake so it would destroy their rep if they made an ios version first.

Anyhow, I'm seriously hoping the english version of ff4 releases on the same day. *crossing fingers*

9. imuddy

imuddy Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    2 more days, hurry up.... I need my ff fix.

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #90 Vovin, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
    This and Ravensword: Shadowlands - holidays, I'll be prepared! :D

Will, as always.

11. shanepaw

shanepaw Active Member

Nov 9, 2012
    ^So its really gonna come out tomorrow in English too?

12. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    So far it looks like yes... but Square Enix has been known to push releases for no good reason on iOS

13. dinoeggs777

dinoeggs777 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    It's out in NZ right now.

14. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Looks like we're getting it then :D