Universal FINAL FANTASY IV - (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 19, 2012.

1. ioahaij

ioahaij Active Member

Apr 11, 2011
    The thing is I lost my save file... If you know what I meant. Lol. Anyway is final fantasy dimensions worth my time?

Anyway I am starting this game soon. Just bought it ( my first paid app for these two months! )

2. Blizzard500

Blizzard500 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Final Fantasy Dimensions is amazing! I spent about 55 hours to complete the whole thing. I only grinded for about 1-2 hours whole game. It's by far, one of the best 2D FFs out there. But after playing that, the battles in all other FFs feel really slow. I can barely play FFIV because I got so used to very fast auto battle mode in FFD.

3. operaguy2112

operaguy2112 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    So if I only get one FF game should I get this, or Dimensions?

4. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I would say get FFIV without a doubt, but that doesnt mean Dimensions is a fantastic game in its own right.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    +1 to this. Get both if you can, but FFIV if you can only get one.

6. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    It's not a no brainer. Both are good but different in ways.

Ff4

Better graphics and story but no job system means fixed character progression. But each char is also fleshed out and u like them.

Ffd

Job system usually more fun than fixed progression characters. But less depth per character.
    Awesome battle flow w auto.
    More linear main plot keeps same formula (go to new place, there's a main dungeon and a side dungeon, repeat.) through the game. But the format of having 2 party's in different worlds and switching between them is unique to the series and keeps it engrossing.

7. Seil

Seil Growtopia Seed Master

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    Augments, though certainly not a proper replacement for a job system, should be considered before you say there's fixed character progression. Augments not only allow you to add abilities, but also play a part in stat gain later on. Proper usage of Augments is important.

Now, I suppose for some people even Augments could be viewed as a fixed progression. Someone that knows which ones would be best for certain characters, which ones should be used to get maxed stats, etc could view them as such. But for someone simply playing the game without prior experience and not following guides, they keep character progression from being so linear.

But yeah, they're different beasts so which game is "better" depends on the person. And they excel in different areas. I really don't care for FFD's graphics, though, despite preferring 2D RPGs. The design of the overworld sprites and the walking animation etc bug the hell out of me.

8. Here is part 3 of my walktrhough for FF4 please enjoy. Part 3 will be up in a couple hours.

9. ioahaij

ioahaij Active Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Thanks! i will consider getting FFD ONCE i completed this FF i just bought (who knows it might go on sale). Back to the topic, is there any significant difference in this iOS version as compared to the DS one, gameplay wise?

10. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    To my knowledge, no. As far as I'm aware, it's just an enhanced port of the DS remake.

There may be some balance tweaking alongside the somewhat enhanced graphics, though. But there shouldn't be any major gameplay changes like new content or anything.

Of course, someone could prove me wrong. I've only just bought and begun playing the iOS port.

11. adriankhoo153

adriankhoo153 Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Is it possible to play the same save data of FFIV on iphone and ipad since it's a universal apps?

12. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    Technically it should be. There isn't iCloud support, but other methods of transferring save files should work, theoretically.

And before anyone gets bent out of shape, you can do so with various file explorers. It doesn't require a jailbreak.

13. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm looking for that stupid rainbow pudding now and I haven't gotten it for almost 3 hours.

I actually might have to give this game a break... I hate it when I can't get stuff like this (not getting one thing stops you from getting awesome things later). I guess I could easily just pass it up but I usually get obsessed about missing something crucial rare items :(

14. Short walkthrough episode today guys. Here's part 4

15. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    sweet repackaging an existing game and charging big for it, sounds great sign me up

16. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Hard to believe I never finish FF4 or FF3. Only have time to play one of them. Give me a honest answer, which one is better?

17. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Final Fantasy IV for the story, but FF III for the seemingly harder gameplay, but aren't you forgetting FF I and II? My favourite so far is still FF I for the simple gameplay.

18. Darkus

Darkus Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Oh. Hi.
    FF4 for far better story and characters.
    FF3 for harder gameplay (not to say FF4 doesn't have it's moments of difficulty, but FF3's is generally harder.) and a job system.

19. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Besides the job system, ff4 is a strict upgrade to 3 imo. 4 put RPGs on the map and paved the way for Chrono and ff6 wich then led to the coming out party for ff7. But ask 100 gamers over the age of 27 and most might say ff4 was the first rpg to really engross them.

20. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I didn't play IV yet, I am close to finishing and loving III to bits and I couldn't get into FFI at all. It is too simple and directionless IMHO and there is no challenge. The best thing about it is music.

That's from a total FF newb, BTW.