Universal FINAL FANTASY IV - (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Darkus

Darkus Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Oh. Hi.
    Yeah, FF1 was a bit aimless. Mainly due to the fact that it stays true to the original game, which was kind of a last-ditch effort to save from bankruptcy (Hence FINAL Fantasy.)

4 has much more of a direction though, it's a very story-oriented sequence.
    FF3 had a few moments of aimless wandering, FF4 has very few moments of being like that. You generally always have some idea where your next objective should be.
    I'm nearing the end of this port, and it's getting pretty challenging.

2. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    I haven't played a FF game in 20 years, but I picked this one up based on reviews and it's definitely bringing back a lot of childhood memories. I think the first FF game I played was FFVI, although the one I remember most is FFIV. Anyway, I have to give SE credit for a really good job on this game, although I still think the price is a too high for an iOS game. Anyway, I have a couple questions:

1. How much harder/more fun is the harder difficulty? I played the normal difficulty and am wondering if that was a mistake. I just became a paladin so restarting would take some time, but is it worth it? I don't know that I'll want to play it through a second time.

2. Given that I've really enjoyed FFIV, I'm considering picking up another SE title while they're on sale. Which ones do people recommend most? As a kid, I played the later versions so the versions with really old school graphics aren't that appealing (although it's not a deal killer). I don't know anything about CR but would consider them.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I am playing on Hard difficulty and do not find it too challenging. At times I've had to "grind" to level up and certain battles have been hard (particularly Mom Bomb) but it's enjoyable. Once you finish the easier difficulty it might be worth revisiting after some time.

Chrono Trigger may not be the most graphically polished release but you can't go wrong with that for gameplay or plot.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Get Chaos Rings. NAO!

All 3 games in the series is fantastic if you love jrpgs.

Also, The World Ends With You is also a fantastic port from the DS. A bit different as it is more an action-type, realtime battle oriented RPG, but is as deep and as huge as Square Enix console RPGs go.

5. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Thanks. Is Chrono Trigger similar in gameplay to the FF games? I know a lot of people here dislike that there are no jobs in FFIV, but that's not a huge issue for me. I've been finding the time to play FFIV but do have a limit to how much I can play. FFIV seems like a great fit for me.

6. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Which of the games would you recommend starting with? Are they similar to FFIV? I haven't played any great RPGs since I was a kid (I've tried a lot on iOS but haven't loved any of them until FFIV) so I don't know all the lingo. Which ones are jrpgs?

I know it's never going to happen, but I would kill for the Zelda games on iOS. And none of the clones on iOS have come close.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Chaos Rings titles remind me more of FF8 with its art style, but each one is a great dark story unfolding as you play along. The game content is massive too, with tons of stuff you can collect if you want to, multiple story paths and more.

JRPG is short for Japanese RPG, which is usually refers to a console type RPG... One that has menus during battles. But there are other titles also labeled as JRPGs just because they came from a Japanese dev group. :)

As for the Zelda clone, i'd kill for one too, and it seems we have something to look forward to in the form of Oceanhorn. :)

8. Seil

Seil Growtopia Seed Master

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    JRPG = Japanese RPG, generally used to refer to games that share similarities with iconic RPGs from Japan such as the FF series, Dragon Quest, etc.

Anyway, Chaos Rings is fun in a sense, but the original is incredibly repetitive. I found enjoyment in the original but I also found myself taking breaks lol. I haven't played the second because of that, but from what I've heard it may be better.

Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite RPGs of all time and is often renowned as one of the best. I haven't purchased the iOS port, so I can't give personal feedback on its quality, but the game itself is great. I have seen multiple people say they aren't fond of the controls on iOS, though.

The World Ends With You is very different, but also very good. It was designed for the DS and utilized its features very well. Solo Remix has changed some things about the battle system etc to compensate for lack of two screens, but it does so quite well. It's not an FF experience, but not because it is lacking. It doesn't try to be like FF, it's its own game.

If you're looking for a classic experience with gameplay and plot that holds up, Chrono Trigger(again, I can't comment on its controls).

If you're looking for a more modern, but still turn based approach etc, Chaos Rings wouldn't be a bad choice.

If you want a more fresh experience, TWEWY really is a great game. One of my favorite DS titles and now one of my favorite iOS titles. It has a great soundtrack(very different from FF music, though), fun and intuitive combat, and a lot of things to collect and master.

9. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Hasn't the sale ended? I could have sworn that Final Fantasy Dimensions is back to its original price...

10. Seil

Seil Growtopia Seed Master

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    There were multiple sales. The main FF sale is over, SE has many non-FF titles on sale right now. Also FF Tactics.

11. Part 5 of my video walkthrough for FF4. Hope this helps.\

12. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    HELP! Been trying to defeat dr. Lugae, the boss with the reversal gas ie. damage heals, and heals do damage, for 2 days now. Need help pls. I don't have dual cast, i got 3 elixirs but the guy is kinda fast and wipes my party after the 1st elixir. Any tips?

13. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    I just defeated the water element that was impersonating the king and realized that the twins are leaving the party. I've only given them one augment each (gave them auto-potion and curse but I missed item lore). Will I not be able to get the two cast augment? If not, can I use my last save point and still find item lore in Kapai (sp?)?

14. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    I looked at some pictures but I can't remember if I've played FFVIII. Anyway, I'm not sure I would have the time for Chaos Rings if it's really as massive as you make it out to be. But it's still intriguing.

Thanks for the info on Oceanhorn. It looks really interesting. I checked the thread in the Upcoming Games thread but it doesn't seem to have a release date set yet. Any word on when we can expect it?

15. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    This is extremely helpful. I'll have to look into the control issues for Chrono Trigger because, aside from that, it seems like the best option for me. If there really are control issues though, that might be a deal breaker. Square Enix did a great job on the controls in FFIV so it would be annoying if they couldn't do the same for CT.

The pictures of TWEWY don't seem like my kind of game but your description piqued my interest a little. Maybe I'll check out some gameplay videos.

As for Chaos Rings, if it really is that repetitive, I think I'll have to pass. Thanks again.

16. JibbaJunior on SFIV right? Anyways if I had the money to get any of these games : TWEWY, Final Fantasy Dimensions, or one of the Chaos Rings games I'd definitely pick TWEWY because it is simply amazing. the soundtrack especially will get you hooked onto the game. The story is great as well. It has plot twists and the unique gameplay in this RPG will entertain you for a long time. It has many collectibles as well. My second choice would be to get FFD because the battles are 10x more fast paced than chaos rings. That's why I have all chaos rings games at 70-80% completion. The battles sometimes take a little longer than most final fantasy games, but if you want a game with AAA story then get any one of the chaos rings games. (chaos rings 2 was my favorite)

17. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Yes, that's me. Are you still playing Volt or SFxT?

Thanks for the advice. I will probably be picking one or two up over the weekend and will give TWEWY a longer look than I planned. But you don't recommend Chrono Trigger?

18. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    #258 Isilel, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
    Re: Chaos Rings:

The first one has a much better story, but you have to re-play the same areas 4 times with minor differences to get all of it and the real final fight, the second one has slightly better gameplay and is a little prettier.

In any case, choose one and don't pick the other, there is too much repetition and re-used assets between Chaos Rings and Omega. Oh, and Omega will spoil and contradict CR's story.

Frankly, after playing FFIII and keeping in mind that FF IV is allegedly an even more content-rich RPG, I am not sure that I'd recommend the first 2 CR games. Sure, CR 1 was great back in the day, when it was the only somewhat modern JRPG from an established dev on the platform. I loved it. Now, though, IMHO the gameplay doesn't measure up.

I have heard that one doesn't need to play either of the previous games to get into CR2 and it is supposed to be better in every way. I didn't play it myself, however.

19. I really want to play SFIV but I got an iPad and the controls just don't work for me. The controll stick is too big and seems clunky. Capcom needs to optimize their apps.

I can't recommend chrono trigger because I haven't ever tried it. Seems like I'm missing out on that as well. I'll pick it up after I finish FFIV and FFD.

20. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I actually liked Chaos Rings and picked up all 3 on sale. Sure there is some reptitiveness but each one has its own charm. 1st one has multiple characters, omega has a really fun New Game+ and the 2nd has the most revamped features and multiple paths. All in all, I enjoy playing each one because the story and gameplay are still fun for me.

I'd definitely recommend TWEWY for sure. That game rocks!