Universal FINAL FANTASY IV - (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I have never played any FFs and have now picked FFIII a week ago when it was on sale and I am absolutely loving it! Granted, I was slowly getting into JRPGs via various games on iOS, and Lufia 2 on an emulator, but I never played the genre as a kid and have zero nostalgia. I also don't think that there are many "cheaper, but just as good" games on the platform, but that depends on individual tastes, obviously.

OTOH, I regret buying FF1. It is just way to cramped and bare-bones and I don't like the graphics either. Great music, of course.

2. Seil

Seil Growtopia Seed Master

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    I'm under the assumption that it is a toggle, especially from a previous post complaining about the borders and commenting about how maybe they should "suck it up" and play with borders off.

I can't confirm though.

3. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    #123 Riotgirl, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    @iPad_Game. Snap! Like Isilel, FF passed me by as a teenager. I have never had the slightest bit of interest in JRPG, but have done a bit of reading on FF because I was intrigued as to why FF was held in such esteem.

If you read up on reviews and a little bit of the history of FF, it is obvious that these are ports of console games over 20 years ago! As such, the gameplay mechanics may be a little archaic in terms of menu systems and random battles (the infamous move 2 feet and get attacked. Constantly). If you can live with some of the creaks of old age showing, you'll enjoy a wonderful game filled with a story-telling narrative (strength of which changes from game to game), charming characters with their own personality, tonnes of quirky iconic FF touches from airships, to chocobos, mogs, and an array of delightful assortments that reminds you that you're playing in the FF universe of games, plus side-quests, and the usual array of RPGS touches.

The above is all wrapped up in the musical score. This is where comparisons with other games / RPGs are firmly put into the shade. The music score is sumptuously gorgeous. A classical orchestra actually held concerts a year or so back, playing the music of the FF canon!

I started with FFIII for that very reason. I felt that FFIII would be my minimum tolerance threshold.

In terms of pricing:
    1. SE tax
    2. Apps store race to the bottom

Mixture of both. I agree that SE do add a 'tax' compared to the quality of their ports. Where I disagree is finding comparable RPGS of this nature for 2/3 of the price. Aralon was beautiful but with the depth of a puddle. The only other RPGs I have picked up so far is Avadon - 1/3 cheaper (I bought FFIII on sale for £6.99 - so same price). I will pick up Baldur's Gate and the other Spiderweb Software RPGs but time and iPad space dammit, as opposed to financial considerations.

Check out YouTube for gameplay reviews of FFIII on iOS. Also, do the same for FFIV. If you can live with the mechanics then think about picking up FFIV. A lot of FF fans opine that FFIII is one of the weakest in terms of story (generic) and the narrative. FFIV and FFVI are seen as the watermark.

4. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Downloading.

I saw a Youtube video where there is an "auto play" option. Very eager to try this out.

How did I solve my storage space crunch on my iPad? I didn't. I downloaded it onto my iPhone. Great that it is a universal app.

Still downloading. Really big app...

5. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    oh, yeah, console games are so expensive here...

If you're wondering, wait for a sale. It will drop to 11 bucks when they release FFV anyway.

6. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    yeah, it's a setting. off by default though.

7. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Chaos Rings series are in sale here. Chaos Rings II at $10! I was waiting for that one but just bought FFIV + that... That's what I call a dilemna haha

8. Seil

Seil Growtopia Seed Master

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    Most of the non-FF titles(also Tactics) seem to be on sale at the moment. I got the original Chaos Rings when it was released but that's the very reason why I'm not interested in 2 lol. It wouldn't be a choice for me, because Chaos Rings was so repetative. I enjoyed it, but it was almost guaranteed to be a one-off thing for me x.x

No idea if 2 changes that in any way, but if I were faced with the decision I would almost certainly go for FFIV because as a whole there's just more to it(when compared to the original CR anyway) imo.

But. If people are looking for something that isn't a port, CR was certainly a decent game, so it's worth at least considering. Especially with the sale.

9. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Okay, this is a BEAUTIFUL port. The game runs so smooth, so streamlined, everything is so freaking nice. Wow, Square Enix has really improved since their prior Final Fantasy ports. Now they just need to update all of their prior ports to meet this standard. Also, there are still some things they could update and improve on this app, especially what I hear with people on iPhone 5.

This is truly a gem. I regret spending tons on some of the other Square Enix games, but not this one. This one is the first to actually be worth every cent of its seemingly overpriced cost.

10. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I really enjoyed CR and played it 4 times for each character but FFIV is certainly way better indeed.
    CRII, yeah, really wondering if it is a good investment. oh well, I have enough with FFIV!

11. backslashio

backslashio Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Perth, WA
    Wish I didn't get Chaos Rings Omega when it was released at a somewhat high RRP, I enjoyed the first one but Omega seemed like overkill considering how little it had changed - could've been an expansion pack. I know that Chaos Rings II is entirely new & all yet gameplay wise it hasn't changed enough, perhaps I'll get it when it reaches to the prices of the previous games which is around $5

12. Loading3

Loading3 Active Member

May 21, 2012
    I dont really get it why you guys are complaing it on iphone 5, theres isnt much difference anyways...

13. airwa1k

airwa1k Active Member

Nov 11, 2012
    $15.99 for borders? Oh I can stretch it? That's like buying a blueray but its DVD quality and ratio but you can "stretch" it to fit your tv. No thanks for sure. Ill just play the DS version.

14. Blizzard500

Blizzard500 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    #134 Blizzard500, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    My biggest gripe with this game is the battles feel very slow-even with the setting at fastest. I hope they can up the speed.
    Also, completing a map to 100% is a fine idea, but it requires you u touch every single crevice of every single corner which can get tedious. I've had maps at 99% and I'm still looking for that pixel of a spot that I've missed.

15. Shane Turner

Shane Turner Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Montreal
    First impression:
    Looks like it's going to be a sweet game.

Ipad 2: there's a bit of slowdown in some of the battles, acceptable but it does get a tad choppy. Even with the additional polish, I can tell it's scaled up from a game designed for a teeny screen. Some of the fonts have ugly white edges around them too. Visually it looks like a PSX gen game, which I'm fine with.

The voice acting so far, is surprisingly inoffensive, which is actually a step up from most JRPGs. The cut scenes and writing are nicely done.

Going to be enjoying this one a lot over the next few weeks. Started it on Hard mode which I assume is the original difficulty level (FFII on SNES was the 'easy' mode, they thought the original FFIV would be too hard for us, haha)

16. robbmx77

robbmx77 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Holy fantasy this month has been the most I've spent on games for my iPhone. And square enix took most of my money but very well spent. Started with the FF I and FF II sale , lucky for me I just finished FF I and I was at the beginning of FF II just after minwu joins the party and noticed yet another sale from Square Enix and I grabbed FF IV, FF Tactics and The World Ends With You And I'm still tempted to get Chrono Trigger and Chaos Rings II .
    Ill be set for at least the first quarter of 2013 .

FF IV looks and plays great , if you ever played the SNES version this new introduction will blow your mind . It's a must buy if you're a JRPG or FF fan

17. Demonskunk

Demonskunk Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Time, not work. All they have to do is border the video on the sides and render it out at a higher resolution. and is file size really a problem? a few-minute-at-most cutscene shouldn't bump the size up more than a couple hundred megabytes - I'm pretty sure they left them in Tactics, and there was only ONE in III (maybe two, I never beat it. but the intro was amazing)

and, frankly, if square is going to charge me almost 20$ for a game with butchered virtual controls (the DS controls were amazing, this new virtual stick is RETARDED) they'd better damn well be giving me a full product.

18. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Should I want to play this on my iPhone 5 or iPad 4 for a superior experience?

19. crazycan98

crazycan98 Active Member

Jun 28, 2011
    iPad is bigger and I think looks better because of that.
    If you are someone that doesn't carry an iPad everywhere than use your phone.

Anyone figure out the difficulty thing yet?
    Are they just increasing damage and health or is there something more?
    Does normal seem too easy?

20. Weyr

Weyr New Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Anyone figure out how to change your character yet? I mean the one you walk around as.