iPad Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. AZHokie22

AZHokie22 New Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Is it just me, or is it not possible to load a game directly from the Title Screen? I know it will Quick Load if you pause in the middle of a battle. But for example, I had Ramza die in a battle, and the Quick Save must have been just the turn before his body disappeard, so if I went to "Continue" on the titel screen, it just kept going to Gameover over and over. The only thing I could do was fight through the first 2 battles all over again before I could load my game, which seemed ridiculous

2. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    well i can explain, people complain because the text is blurry.

3. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    I played the original fft--not war of the lions. One of the things keeping me from buying this is that the game had a well-established "rule of thumb.". There were 2 or 3 jobs which completely overpowered the others. Their abilities were the best in every situation.

I believe it's still the same way. Despite my absolutely loving the game, that fault is great enough that it ruins replay for me.

4. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I teetered on the fence for the whole day, then the urge won out, and I DL'd this app.

WHOOPS!!! It's a sloppy mess.

I had the original PSX game, and it was an all-time favorite (although I liked the 1st "Vandal Hearts" best). Etc. Etc......

I'm playing this on a 3GS iPhone. It's not the performance that is killing me; that is acceptable.

It's the dark, muddy sprites, and the unwieldy transition to a touch-driven menu that is absolutely killing it for me. They took this long, and couldn't brighten things up? They couldn't have truly updated the controls?

I'm sorry. This is a half-assed port, and for $16 American, it should have been a LOT nicer to look at and navigate.

5. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Yeah, I have to agree. It's pretty blurry and could definitely be a problem for some people.

6. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    @Andiron +1 to that. The score is what sets this game so far apart from others.

Also my eyesight isn't amazing, but I didn't find the text to be as blurry as others have mentioned. I spent some time reading through the whole Chronicle without an issue. Then again there are many factors that could differ between our devices - Do you play with a screen shield? Is your screen smudged with fingerprints? What brightness level are you playing at? Are you wearing glasses? Ect. Ect. Ect.

I stopped using screen shields on my iPhone 4 awhile ago for more screen clarity.

7. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    To other fans of fft...especially those who don't want to drop $16 on an app...let me recommend tactical warrior. It's a very bare-bones game. Bad graphics and no story line. However, the strategy and customization are top-notch.

A dozen or so playable classes. A solid 12-15 hours per run-through, of which I've personally done 4 times now. No glaring overpowered classes. Add to that its $3 price point, a skirmish mode (complete with a class/equipment "draft"), while currently only available for PvE play, with a solid framework for PvP. It's game center and open-feint integrated.

It's one of the best buys I've made. And if it gets more popular, the developer may put more work into it.

8. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Yes, I'm a glass half-full dude about this port, but anyone who doesn't see that this was a minimum effort port should go get their eyes checked.

For $16 and a year of development time they should have kept the mechanics, translation and cut scenes, and just re-did everything in native iOS code, with all new sprites rendered for the resolution they'd be viewed at. Had they done that they could have even charged $20 and people would have paid it without anywhere close to this amount of gripes.

The only thing I hope is that the money convinces them to make a brand new FFT title for Android & iOS. There's an audience for this sort of game, but unless you were already a fan, this port is unlikely to convince you why so many think it's awesome.

Had some no-name developer put out a title for even just a couple of bucks with the same overall production value it would have been 1 & 2 starred and forgotten a week after the release (ignoring Square's recycled but awesome FMV cutscenes of course :D).

9. rmlinden

rmlinden Active Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Very slow on IPhone 3gs
    Not playable on ipad due to crashes

15$ down the drain imo.

10. icepulse

Aug 7, 2008
    ...and let me recommend the following:

1. Great Little War Game
    2. Neuroshima Hex
    3. Tactical Soldier
    4. Rogue Planet
    5. Shining Force
    6. Hunters
    7. Worms Armageddon
    8. Lead Wars

..ANYTHING but this overpriced mess.

Believe me, I'm a BIG fan of the original. But we can't reward Squenix with 16 hard-earned dollars for such an insulting port.

11. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I doubt if a no-name developer was able to put out this production it would be forgotten, and unfortunately there hasn't been anything close in the Appstore yet, except for mayyyybeee Rebirth of Fortune, which is a tactics clone minus cutscenes, story development, great music, job system, and so on and so on. But it does have your low price point.

12. icepulse

Aug 7, 2008
    Also, try "Highborn".

It's clever, deep, beautiful and performs well.

13. incineratee

incineratee Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Thanks. I might consider to buy it.

14. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    I used to have the Brady guide to the WotL, but cannot find it.

There is a Gamefaqs walkthrough, but I just want a guide, not a walkthrough with spoilers.

I'd prefer a PDF or something downloadable, if anyone has a link.

Thanks!

Rixx

15. Dubstep

Dubstep Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Don't see what all the complaining and nitpicking is about?

Game is fun, plays buttery smooth on my iPhone 4

I can read everything just fine as well.

I agree about the dark sprites/background

Brightness is at 85% for this game...kills battery :/

It'd be a 5 star game at 9.99 I give it 4 for now.

16. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    We must have different definitions of production values. I've gotten games for free that were considerably more polished than this.

I'm not arguing with the story, the game, any of that, but low res graphics, low res text, menus nearly as convoluted as on a GBA, do not a polished title make in terms of production value. Sure, the hardcore would go for anything that provided this level of stats and detail in the game mechanics, and they rightly should, it's fantastic. But nobody should be putting out a game with this fuzzy text at any price point in 2011, let alone at the price point they're charging. It's beyond obvious these are mostly the exact same assets they kludged on for the PSP version, which were barely redone for that. We essentially have an emulation of an emulation of a 14 year old title made for old school NTSC console graphics and it shows in every detail, and that's not a good thing.

I'm going to enjoy the heck out of it, but I'm not going to kid myself for an instant that this was anything other than a minimal effort cash in on Square's part. I may not really have dug the game, but they have shown how much they can update a classic while staying true to the original with stuff like FFIII; this is just preying on the original title's popularity.

17. Badtz

Badtz Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Don't see/notice/accept or don't want to see/notice/accept? That was rhetorical, I know it is the latter. This is a mediocre port.

People should stop letting their fanboyism blind their judgement... This is coming from a gigantic fanboy who owns all of the Final Fantasy games. I'll repeat, this is a mediocre port. This game was delayed for how long? Is this suppose to be an acceptable port? NO.

If you can't or refuse to understand why this port is mediocre... Sorry?

18. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Really? Can you link to these free polished games please so we can see where you are coming from?

19. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Yeah I agree with a lot of the opinions here. I already have the iOS version and gosh my eyes hurt so bad because I have to keep squinting at everything and the not-so-sharp sprites/background do not help.

The game itself is very good (and very difficult for me at least) but with ALL those delays now I'm thinking they just kept bug fixing constantly and not working on the real wants for quality games. I think most people want their games - and re-ports - to be in better graphics than the original. I feel like I'm playing a PSX video game that's been shrunk down. And did they really need to make all the menus THAT small with all the extra space they have? I feel bad for people with big fingers..

20. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #260 eev, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
    yep, exactly, complaints are not about the game but about the quality of the port on ios.