iPad Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Totally agree with you !

2. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    In options you can change it to where you scroll anywhere on the screen for menu items and tap anywhere on screen to confirm, rather than dealing with the OK button.

3. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    I've learned to not read comments from the first 5-25 pages because they are written by fanboys. Close to 25 normally those with sense and reason start to comment and to them I listen to. not worth the price. I'll just wait and see if the iPad version is any better.

4. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Yep, exactly the way I do it also.

Here's hoping for an improved iPad version. :)

5. DusT_HounD

DusT_HounD Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Hmm, i'm enjoying the increased pace above the abysmal PSP version, but holy hell- as others have noted, the text is hard to read. Would clearer fonts have been too much to ask? I also hold FFT in high regard, but can't really believe that Square would #### it up twice. Kind of funny, but sad at the same time.

6. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Angry Birds is more polished than this title. You can't just have good gameplay OR good graphics OR good sound effects OR a good score OR a good interface. You have to hit all the notes well enough to leave someone not seeing the zippers and duct tape. There's duct tape and zippers all over the place with this title and they didn't even bother trying to glue a little fabric over them.

The rabid fan boys out there can believe whatever nonsense they want. It's a good game, it, relatively speaking, might even be worth the price they're charging, but it's still a minimum effort port that comes nowhere near to current standards of quality for graphics, text, or interface, and because of that it can hardly be said to have excellent production values, because as cool as the cut scenes may still be, as great as the score may be, as deep as the gameplay may be, the presentation and interface are substandard, and that leaves the whole package with some obvious warts.

7. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #267 Cilo, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
    You're comparing this to Angry Birds? Really? I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy or play this game, everyone has their own preference, but Angry Birds? Really?

I think this is definitely one of those times where we have to agree to disagree.

8. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Loaded it up on the ol' 1st-gen iPad. Definitely more tolerable and playable, but I still feel that Squenix should be ashamed. It's true that MANY free or 99ยข titles look and play better than this. I got Hunters HD for free. Beautiful. Obviously, FFT is way deeper, but presentation counts, and at that price point, the app should look like a new Ferarri. Nintendo made LoZ:OOT look awesome, 15 years later.

9. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I have yet to buy the game, but I take it it's a pretty rough port or what?

10. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I did not have either the PSX or the PSP versions, but had FFT for gameboy, DS, and the various FF 1-3 for multiple platforms including iOS.

It's an iOS port. On 2x on the iPad, it looks ok. The text is fine, the sprites are fine. Is it gorgeous? Nope. Is it even pretty? Not really? Is it playable? Definitely. If you are even looking at this game, that is what is going to sell it - story, gameplay, depth. Should be fine in all those areas. I thought pretty long before plunking down the bucks, but FF 3 is still sitting at 16, so it will likely be holiday season before dropping. But I'm sure eventually it will, all the games do. Just depends on low long you want to wait.
    It won't be a game you'll use to show off a new ipad2. But, it will be a game that you can engross yourself for many, many, many hours and have fun with. If graphics are super important though, you won't be happy.

11. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    +1

Rixx

12. Mestre7

Mestre7 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    #272 Mestre7, Aug 5, 2011
    Game Impressions

Well, I've downloaded the game and begun to play it for a while on my 2G iPod Touch. It's slow, but contrary to the requirements list it does actually run. The main problem I'm having is that some of the text comes out very slowly.

I'm not far enough into the game to give a really good impression yet, but I think I'm going to enjoy it. It does feel a lot less polished than something like FF3, but it's playable, and that's what matters to me.

Anyway, I have no intention of getting into the debate here, but those are my impressions straight off the bat. Hope someone finds them useful.

(edit) Just found the text speed option. That looks much better. :)

13. Skinypupy

Skinypupy Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I have no issues with the game itself, as it's a fairly straightforward port of one of my favorite games of all time. I'm not crazy about the touchscreen controls (tough to target an individual unit when they're in a crowd), but I'm sure that would work itself out with a little more practice.

However, I do have a problem with the ridiculous slowdown anytime a dialog or menu box pops up. Practically slows the game to a crawl...which is doubly odd considering how flawless the spell effects run. This is on an iPhone 4 with the latest OS. Even tried closing all the multitask apps and rebooting the phone a couple times, but nothing seems to make a difference.

Might stick with the PSP version instead, as the menu lag on iPhone is far more annoying than the spell effect slowdowns present on PSP.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Don't have that problem on my iPhone 4. And I've been running the game constantly all day, with plenty of other apps in the background.

15. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Same here, except I'm on iPod touch 4g.

16. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Certainly, but consider this: the reason why Square (Enix) is a household name with gamers is that they're known for going above and beyond what anyone expected relative to what was going on in gaming at the time. The level of story telling and character advancement they brought with the Final Fantasies changed the way computer based RPGs were done around the globe, and with FFVII, they really just blew the roof off with visuals that, for the time, blew the mind, particularly considering that was on a machine with a 32MHz processor and 2MB of RAM. They haven't always hit it out of the park, and there have been a number of fouls, but you could never fault them for just phoning it in in years past.

The ports they did on the GBA and DS of the Final Fantasy titles were all done with care and love, and it showed. This port does not show care and love, this port shows the signs of a series of bad decisions in its development followed by a "get it out the door and see if we can recoup our money" decision once it was deemed adequate.

People should be expecting more than adequate from Square at this point.

17. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    If you are getting impatient, try turning off Target Colors, XP/JP display, battle prompts, Display Slide Control Button, and Display Ability Name. Sped things up a lot for me.

18. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Why in the world would you play this on your iPad? There's a dedicated iPad version coming soon.

19. Yeater42

Yeater42 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I Mad Boo

I'm very disappointed at how this entire game has been handled. I was sad when it took an extra year, i was disappointed when they decided not to support 2G, cut multiplayer and now I'm upset with the number of problems the game has, not to mention the fact there's no retina display. Final Fantasy Tactics War Of The Lion is one of the best games iv'e ever played and you've really served it poor justice.

I would like the game to be tested, and more than just playable on 2G, but equal if it has no retina display this should be possible.

I would like bluetooth multiplayer at least, if not full wifi.

I really hope that Square decides to listen to the community and cease the shady behavior so that this game can really be enjoyed the way it was meant to be.

20. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #280 Cilo, Aug 5, 2011
    You don't have to give me a history lesson on gaming, I was playing FF7 my senior year in high school. Again let's just agree to disagree, it's obvious our tastes are worlds, I'm talking galaxies apart with that Angry Birds comment.