iPad Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. kaokien

kaokien Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Keeping your girlfriend company
    Add iKaokien GameCenter
    does anyone know how to unlock the weapons that were multiplayer only, because the FFIII port did not have multiplayer but it had other ways to unlock onion knight and etc.

2. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas

I agree with you 100%.

Rixx

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Secret of Mana, FF1, FF2, and FF3 have all been fantastic.

4. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    GTA Chinatown is the only iOS port I have ever seen that has correctly justified it's high price (when it was 9.99). They got EVERYTHING right.

I'm having a hard time enjoying this game. Ever since playing Disgaea I can't stand having to watch the animation every single time for every action. Disgaea had the option to remove these animations.

5. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Disgaea is on the iPhone?

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I wholeheartedly agree. They stay on my iPad even though I have played them all to death.

7. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    No but the PSOne version of course didn't have the option and they didn't think to include the one I mentioned here (despite adding a few new options not from the original).

If Disgaea ever did get ported to the iPhone, even if it was slow like this game...it would instantly be better for me. The story and music between the two would of course be subjective, but the gameplay interface is pretty much evolved in Disgaea.

8. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Was gonna get this game but I think I'll stick to the psp version if this one has too many issues, thanks

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    That's the understatement of the year.

If you are going to be fair about, you would have to acknowledge that RoF recreates only a tiny sliver of the FFT experience and it was designed from the ground up for the iPhone (using the excellent Cocos 2D engine). There simply is no comparison.

10. kaokien

kaokien Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Keeping your girlfriend company
    Add iKaokien GameCenter
    I hope this game does well so squareenix decides to port the psp version of tactics ogre which looks amazing imo

11. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    according to Appshopper it is #1 top grossing at the moment!

12. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    The unit sales never pushed it higher than #15 that I saw, but when you cost $16 USD, not hard to hit top grossing. It's unit chart position dropped 10 places today, so it's not going to hold this for long, but it's interesting all the same.

It could be good because enough money might convince Square there's a market for these types of games that will pay good money for a deep TBS/RPG like this leading to development of a proper FFT title for iOS and perhaps even genuine post-ship support for this title.

It could also be bad because it's just more proof they can put just about anything out there and command ridiculous grosses for the app store.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Only a fool would call this "just about anything.". Offense intended, BTW.

Here's the TouchGen review.

14. Agitator Academia

Agitator Academia Active Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Kaoken - don't think we'd ever see Tactics Ogre; too niche.

But yes - it's an exceptional game. I recommend getting it if you've a PSP. Then again, PSP's are dropping in price all over the place - get a PSP just to play Tactics Ogre. Definitely get plenty bang for that buck.

AA

15. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Offense not taken, I'm quite used to those who can't handle the concept of objectivity in regards to all things. The port is half-assed regardless of the quality of the underlying game. Gush praise at poorly emulated ports and that's all you're ever going to get from a publisher with enough money to buy most game devs and who evidently doesn't think very much of iOS gamers. Judging by some of the defenses of the fuzzy text, slowdowns when entering commands for a game who's code and calculations were written to be handled by a device with little more hardware under the hood than a modern day graphing calculator, and it's obvious they're probably right not to think too much about the audience.

The underlying game is great, but the port is, at best, adequate. An adequate port may indeed be enough to let us play and enjoy one of the hall marks of turn based gaming, but I've got the game, I've been playing the game, and there's no amount of fanboy praise on a forum or non-objective reviewing in the world that's going to convince me my eyes are lying to me when I sit there reading page after page of barely legible flavor text in the tavern or futz with selecting and cancelling and futzing again to make it through a combat moving and targeting where I intended, or watching as the frame rate drops into the single digits after I click to confirm a menu option.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Funny -- the moment I called you on your hyperbole, you take giant steps away from it. At least you can tell when you've crossed the line to idiocy. To be clear, I was referring to your silly "anything" line, not to your subjective opinion about the game (which is as valid as anyone's).

17. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    We get it - you think it's a bad port, point made. Go make a blog about it, or write up a petition, or go play Angry Birds, idk something more constructive than whining every other post.

You do realize you can contact Apple for a refund, and if your iTunes account is in good standing they will send those funds back to your credit card? Put your writing skills to good use and email them, let them know you consider this a faulty app, not designed to play how it should, that you demand a refund, and you will be deleting this app asap. Apple refunded me back the cost of Borderlands because it didn't run how I expected it to. Stop crying.

18. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Just correcting info..apple doesn't give you app refunds anymore!

About the game.. Although I didn't buy..its not a shiny or polished port.BUT the game is for sure so deep and biiiig and for sure the best tbs on AppStore.okAy SE is lazy and want a fast cash so didn't perfect the game port. BUT again what the game offers is far far beyond polished graphics.. It's strategy, story, everything

For me I will wait for iPad version..I stoped playing on my iPhone long ago since I got the iPad... I hope iPad will have some improved graphics..which I will buy even if it is kinda blurry.lol

19. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #339 Cilo, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
    Since when? I was refunded back in April, and I haven't heard anything about them changing their policy. If you're going to be correcting info Rivozzz, give us links or something substantial pointing to an apple article or statement made by apple, otherwise it's just your opinion.

Screen Shot 2011-08-05 at 8.02.42 PM.png

20. orinationx2

orinationx2 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2010
    Wasn't there something said about people who felt the urge to whine having their own board? Jesus, don't hog the board that's meant to talk about the game, not your gripes with it.

Either way, 10 hours in and just hit my first character death. Yeah, I know about the whole reload trick, but it was a tough battle. The feeling it gives you really isn't pleasant, but holy shit, this game is absolutely phenomenal.

To all of you complaining about it being a bad port etc. I think you may have set your standards too high. I did try the PSP version and the lag was absolutely unbearable- so I quit during the first fight. But this- this is much, much better than that. The fact that they pulled the game from being nearly unplayable to being very enjoyable is a tremendous feat, one that I appreciate.

And for the text? I can read it no problem, and I'm not known for my sharp eyesight. I recognize that it is a little blurry, but it's FAR from unreadable.

What I'm trying to say is this: I was nervous about this after reading some of the comments on this thread. I took the plunge, and I am very glad I did. At least I can speak for the newcomers when I say this is pretty damn near one of the best games I've ever played on the appstore, if not of all time. 10 hours in, and I'm not halfway through Chapter 2 yet.

You can see all the amazing professions that lie ahead of you, though you're never spoilt for choice since you can mix jobs. The soundtrack is again absolutely PHENOMENAL, downloaded it for later use just now too. The story is amazing, the cutscenes are gorgeous and the fights are mentally invigorating and stimulating.

Anyone who wants to whinge, and whine, that Square Enix is doing all of the rest of us a great disservice because I sincerely hope they continue bringing games like this to the app store. The complaint that they should have put more effort into it may not be particularly valid, given that it was unlikely a moderately-sized team was working on this. This seems like the work of a passionate dev who really wanted it to be brought to the app store- the lack of major hype from Squeenix and the numerous delays point to this.

All in all, my point is this. I love this game, it's probably the best I've ever played on the App Store if not of all time. I have never been able to get into Fire Emblem, or other SRPGs, but this is the creme de la creme. To anyone unsure about purchasing this, most of the people in this thread are butthurt that Square Enix didn't have a larger team working on a cheap, yet improved mobile port of their favorite game of all time.

TL;DR BUY THIS GAME IF YOU ARE IN THE LEAST INTERESTED ABOUT IT, AND YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!