iPad Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Arkais

Arkais Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Thank you. This thread has rarely seen such tolerance and such a reasonable view of this game - I feel the same way, though I did play the original and the PSP versions to completion. People expected the game to be completely redone from top to bottom because it <i>could be</i>, and dont realize that a point comes where it is not economical to do so. I think SE found where that line was and I am pleased.

One thing to note for those who have not yet played: the soundtrack is stunning! Yasunori Mitsuda outdid himself with this score and in my opinion, has never topped it since. You simply don't get quality like this anywhere else in the app store.

I probably wont be spending a lot of time in this thread unless people want to talk about the game itself and not their expectations, so I wish you all a great playing experience!

2. J2o

J2o Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Well said.

3. Deity X

Deity X Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Glad to see some more positive impressions. I'm loving so far. The few gripes I have are the text being kinda fuzzy and maybe sharpen up the menus but other that the game is amazing.

4. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Gentleman Adventurer.
    Lancaster, UK
    I'm sat here with my cursor over the 'buy' button, debating with myself...

On the one hand, I want this game very much. I want to play it. I want to enjoy a fantastic game. But I don't want clunkiness, poor choices, and general unfinishedness to spoil the game for me, even slightly.

Actually, redesigning the interface so it works ideally on a touch-screen is exactly what I expect when a game is transferred to a system that only has a touchscreen. How is that in any way naïve or unreasonable?

That's why I didn't buy 'Secret of Mana', and it's why I haven't bought this yet - partly 'cause any control jiggles are just going to get more and more vex g over the course of such a long game, and mostly because if Square don't make the best possible game they can why should I buy it? It'll only encourage them to try less hard on the next game...

I don't think people wanting a better conversion of the game is 'intolerance'. I think it's people wanting a better conversion of the game, which is fair enough when they're spending their money.

Right, I need to watch those videos again and read some more reviews. Although I think we all know I'm going to end up buying it... :)

5. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    the time your wasting debating, could be time you could be spending playing.
    game is great, hands down. your doing yourself a great disservice by not experiencing this gem. easily in my top 5 greatest games of all time. i've been gaming since pong. (ha! just looked real old there...)

6. LKR

LKR Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Earth
    +1 :)

I'm really enjoying it so far.

7. Rizhome

Rizhome Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    UK
    Best game ever! :)

8. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    These comments remind me of when a kid tries lobster for the first time, and they gag and say "eww", and their parents say, "You don't know what you're missing!" Then 15 years later they realize lobster is fricking amazing, but by that time no one really cares anymore.

Moral of the story, good luck waiting around for another masterpiece like this to happen anytime soon! :p

Some of us are already 7-8 hours in . . .

9. Snacks48

Snacks48 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Its funny, whenever SE games come out for ios there is always a huge amount of criticism towards there games. Honestly i'm sure there a a handful of people here complaining about the lag and how it ruins the game completely yet have never even bought it and stay to just say negative things. Pretty rediculous.

10. Syndrome

Syndrome Active Member

Dec 17, 2010
    God!
    Are the pourcents in this game really legits?!
    Ma archer is missing almost 75% of the time with pourcents such as 75-85!
    While some ennemies are performing 12-18% attacks like pancake!
    Starting to become quite the paranoïc lol

11. seleneluna

seleneluna Active Member

Aug 5, 2010
    According to the Japanese site "Famitsu", FFT will get a update in two months with a retina display support and some improvements including controls. Yeah. Two months is too long. But at least SE is looking into our feedbacks and complaints.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201108/06048108.html

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #352 squarezero, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
    Square Enix released FFT:WL as full price retail product. Even though they created some additional material (mainly new animated cut scenes) to justify the $40 price tag for what was then a pretty old game, they didn't bother to update the user interface or the graphics -- they're way more stretched in the PSP screen's wider aspect ratio. Given that, it's naive to think that they would update the UI on a $15.00 smartphone version. Especially since they haven't reworked the interface of any of their previous iOS ports.

Having a great game spoiled because of "clunkiness, poor choices, and general unfinishedness" strikes me as being less tolerant than overlooking some flaws and enjoying the game for what it is. I'm not saying that you are "intolerant" just "less tolerant". In some ways, this is the best portable release of FFT yet -- the camera controls are better, and the save system actually works on the platform (I don't know how often I've lost 30 mins + of gameplay on my PSP because it ran out of battery without warning -- same with the 3DS). But there are definitely a few rough aspects to it. So far (8 hours into it) they haven't really gotten in the way of my enjoyment of the game. But, of course, I can't speak for your experience.

13. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    I'm glad they haven't just pushed the game out and forgotten about it. I wonder what this retina support will include, probably just the menus and text - possibly also the updated character portraits that were being redone for the iPad version. That would be enough of an update though. Expecting all the game assets to be redrawn is unrealistic.

I don't really have high hopes for the iPad version and will probably just stick with the iPod/iPhone one. Even without the redrawn assets the iPhone screen is small enough that it doesn't look that bad. The same assets but at the iPad's screen size are not going to be pretty at all.

14. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Gentleman Adventurer.
    Lancaster, UK
    It's encouraging to read that the flaws aren't game-breaking, at least. I'm downloading it now - partially due to reports that an update is due in a couple of months. I have a bunch of other games to finish before I start playing this and, in a couple of months, I'll be having an operation that'll take 4-6 weeks to recover from - this should be the ideal way to while away those weeks on my back...

15. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    You won't regret it. If you need help optimizing the settings to eliminate most of the nuances troubling people, let me know. By fiddling with a few of the options, I have the game playing with smooth menu scrolling, touch anywhere (don't have to deal with the OK button), no map rotating buttons taking up screen space, got rid of some of the slowdown in battles both with performance and pace (removing extra blink indicators and also window popups not needed in battle).

Also to those people looking for a solution to accessing your saved file and not your autosave, all you have to do is remove the app from the multitasking bar, reload the game, click continue and follow the prompt to choose your save file.

16. Nevermore13

Nevermore13 Member

Jul 16, 2011
    I'm undecided between buying this game or the FFIII. Which one of these two games offers more hours of entertainment?

17. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    could you give a rundown of which options you selected, sounds like you have it sorted!:)

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    This one. Not that FF3 is a slouch, but FFT is the kind of game that can take months to master.

19. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #359 Cilo, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
    Sure thing:

1. Off - eliminates map buttons, makes it completely multitouch, and if you happen to scroll to a point with no view, rotate the board then choose a tile closer to the view you want. It will auto swipe for you.

2. Normal

3. Edit: Correction, setting Menu scrolling at Faster matches touch input pretty darn close to perfect, eliminating lag when scrolling in any menu.

4. Slow - I have it at this because I like to read the narrative at a speed that seems like they are really talking, if you're impatient or have ADD change this to Fast.

5. Off

6. - 8. are optional, I play with them on because I like to see ability names, messages, xp/jp earned, but again if you have ADD you can turn these to off.

9. Off - unless you have no short term memory whatsoever, you don't need extra flashing and blinking of units in game to determine who you are using and who is an enemy, this adds to graphical slowdown in battle.

10. Off - I have this off so that when I'm in inventory or outfitting in a store, you only see items you can equip, rather than a whole laundry list of randoms.

11. Off/On - This is preference depending on if you like to gear members on your own after job changes or have the game do it for you. I still advise checking all members after you change a job in case you didn't have the appropriate gear for the switch.

12.On

20. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    Many thanks Cilo, great set of advice.