iPad Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Wow. I guess that's not too bad compared to the 640mb of the old version on my iPhone. But I how big the new iPhone version is installed. I definitely don't have enough room to update at the moment, but if the overall install size isn't much bigger, I may delete a few games to get this updated! ...once they fix that iCloud save, that is.

2. Power Gamer

Power Gamer Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Blurry screens are a no-go for me. Do you know if the "retina support" is a real 2048x1536 on the iPad?

3. actionrpg8000

actionrpg8000 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Just so you know, if you played it on the DS you didn't play FFT, you played FFTA2, which is quite different from the psone original. This has a much more serious theme to the game, and almost endless customization of characters with the job system. I played and finished both FFTA on gba and FFTA2 on DS, but I greatly prefer the original. This is my first time actually playing the PSP remake, but I played the original too many times to count.

4. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    [​IMG]

Well, this is pretty much what it looks like on a 4th-gen iPad.

5. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Okay so: can anyone give me the rundown as to how the game runs on the 5?

With iCloud support I don't think I can not do it. Though now with your comments, Sra. Tini (that doesn't sound right, I guess I should just use your full name =\) makes me think I should have just picked up the iPhone version. Flergh.

6. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Best to note this, ASiG, just in case it takes six months for the fix to come out. >_>

7. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Fudgesicles. I saw that just after.

Do I potentially miss the sale and be surprised when a fix comes out in a month?

Or do I waste the money and have a non widescreen game that doesn't get updated until 2014?

I saw the comment that updates need to have widescreen support if submitted after may 1st, but that can't have applied here? Is that not a thing?

8. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Haha it's tempting to get my most favorite FF again even if I have it on my PS Vita :D

9. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    #889 C.Hannum, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    It is a thing; here, straight from Apple's own website:

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=3212013b

This app has either been tied up in the approval process or its release delayed for the sale I presume is to drum up awareness of the IP right before the freemium version launches.

10. Digiki

Digiki New Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Since updating I can't play it anymore on my first gen iPad...

Before updating it crashed maybe five times in 60 hours, and in those cases it could be reloaded immediately at the character whose turn it was when the crash occurred.

Since updating I can't even finish one characters turn without a crash.

11. ChocoVanilla

ChocoVanilla Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    SweetsTown, DessertVille, CandyLand
    I'm guessing that with all of the updated artwork and new assets the game has finally become too much for the slower processor of the iPad 1 to handle.

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I have the same thoughts.

13. NotCoolBro

NotCoolBro Active Member

Mar 20, 2013
    About 90% sure I'll download this. Just a few questions though.

How does this game stack up to the other final fantasy PS1 titles music and story wise? Everyone has their favorite ff titles and nostalgic memories. For me I absolutely adored FFIX and thoroughly enjoyed FFVII and FFX but couldn't have cared less for FFVIII. I never played FFXII outside of the demo included with Dragon Quest VIII. The demo kind of threw me off from ever trying that game again. I've heard the FFT is kind of in the same world location-wise as FFXII? The Neogaf boards have kind of labeled this updated IOS iteration as the definitive version available and $8 definitely isn't going to break my bank if I decide it isn't for me. Just curious about everyone else's personal thoughts and nostalgic memories before the eventual download later tonight.

14. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Well I can kinda give my opinion though it's only my opinion, especially since I loved FF8 and you didn't. The story is probably one of the best out of all the FF games. It's so deep and complex you may have to reread the event list to try and remember what has happened (especially after long play throughs). It's a dark story with lots of twists and betrayals.

Music is pretty similar if not better to the other games.. it has music to fit its setting and that's very similar music for FF12 though you haven't really played that.

I agree it's the definitive version. It has the best graphics, best price, and has all the kinks worked out (slow downs, etc.). I would get it!.. but I already have it :)

15. Digiki

Digiki New Member

Jul 27, 2012
    After closing all my apps, and turning my iPad off then back on it became stable enough to play...
    I was worried about this before updating, I wish I had waited to see other's impressions before trying it out.

16. NotCoolBro

NotCoolBro Active Member

Mar 20, 2013
    I need to replay FFVIII one day. My tastes in games fluctuate over time and I might come to appreciate it now than I did when I played it 10+ years ago. I'm more of an action gamer nowadays but nothing beats the charm of a story driven final fantasy title. Thanks for the impressions though, looking forward to playing a classic final fantasy title.

17. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #897 Cilo, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    Coming from someone who felt the same as you - loved FF7, skipped 8, and also loved FF9, as far as how FFTactics falls in line with those games I'd have to say it does from a perspective on core turn based gameplay. I'll list some pros and cons if you want comparisons to your other fav FF games:

Pros: Story is more akin to traditional fantasy genre characteristics- castles, lords, war, soldiers, knights, magicians, betrayal, loyalty, ect. It could very well replace any medieval point in history, in contrast to other FF games that tend to be more whimsical, and other-worldly. The music fits the dark serious tone of the story, similar to how FF7's soundtrack did. I personally love it.

Customization is extremely deep in this game. You'll get a wide range of options when it comes to jobs, abilities, weapons, armor, and items. Cool thing about the way Job Points work in this game is you can learn abilities from jobs you aren't even using. For example if your black mage earns JP from a battle, everyone that was in the same battle will earn a small % towards their own Black Mage abilities. This allows you to open up more options for assigning reactive/move abilities, such as a Knight learning Move+2 from the Thief job, but still being a Knight.

You also get to equip all your units to your heart's content with helms, armor, shields, weapons, and tons of accessories. Oh also if you loved FF7, Cloud is a recruitable unit in this game. Spell/ability fx look great, and personally I like the sound work as well. Locations are spritely detailed, interiors of castles, bell towers, even a snow covered hideout all look awesome and blend together.

Cons: This game is sloooowww in every aspect. I didn't realize how slow it was even for this franchise until I started playing FFTA for the GBA again. In the GBA title I noticed that they streamlined how combat works, and also how the story unfolds on the world map.

Basic idea is, certain spells (mainly the fun powerful ones) have timers, whereas in FFTA all abilities happened instantaneously. This can be extremely frustrating when the unit you were targeting with a fireball moves 1 space out of range, and the whole turn was wasted.

FFTactics is also really linear, aside from a few end game repeatable dungeons, and world map random battles. FFTA for example at least had clans - rewards and leveling, clan battles, multiplayer, and map control where you tried to overtake every map location. Lastly, this isn't similar to FF7 where you explore a world, by moving your main character through cities, and opening closets, dressers, and barrels for hp pots. You only move from point to point on an overworld map, and then turn based movement on battle maps.

18. ChocoVanilla

ChocoVanilla Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    SweetsTown, DessertVille, CandyLand
    As per Cilo's extremely eloquent post above, the customization in FFT really cannot be understated. The ability to hand-pick a group of select jobs out of dozens of choices per battle and then being able to switch your team every battle, along with skills and equipment and other items is one of the primary reasons that people like me attempt multiple playthroughs of the game.

19. duncanedi

duncanedi Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    I have one question im sure someone can answer easily :) ... I've been trying to start this game for a while but I don´t seem to be able to... the main reason i get bored with all the toons moving aroung and doing their actions...and then i put it off... and then i try again :)

Is there a way to turn off seeing what the enemy does? I would be happy if they just do their thing and let me play :)

thanks!

20. ShamusLowlander

ShamusLowlander Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2010
    #900 ShamusLowlander, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    How's this compared to grimoire of the rift on nds? Is it playable on iPhone 4s(as in, are the controls good)?