iPad Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    #961 curtisrshideler, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    Yes, just found out it does.
    Fair.
    I'd buy it instead of trying to emulate.
    I prefer the touch controls.

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Yes. It has an iCloud save slot and it can be shared between the iPhone and iPad version of the game

Both blurry and sharp. The game wasn't made for retina screens so while they updated the graphics for units the menus aren't nearly as smooth.

Buy it. The iOS version is the definitive version of the game and even fixed the framerate bugs that plagued every other version of the game since the original version on playstation.

3. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Holy cow! This DOES have iCloud saves. When did that happen?!

I just looked in Options, and there it was. Of course the default must have been OFF because that's what it's set to.

Now I can put this back on my iPad and save back and forth.

So glad you answered and corrected me!

4. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Checked the SE sale: £5.49 for FFT - although I have yet to FFIII & FFIV (at the last dungeon in FFIII & 3/4 of the way through FFIV). Deleted The Last Express - as of yet unplayed - to make space.

My backlog of unfinished RPGs grows.

To think, I nerd-raged when I lost over an hour's work when I failed the final dungeon in FFIII. FFT may cause me to hurl my iPad across the room (hurled it across the coffee table once after an opponent had a particularly good draw in Ascension).

Might have to child-proof my iPad to prevent me damaging it in a nerd-rage when I inevitably experience a crushing defeat in FFT.

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Lol.

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    How does this run on iPad Mini Retina? I tried it back when I had my first gen Miki and wasn't overly impressed with performance.

7. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Plays like a champ on my 6 plus, which is just a tiny bit smaller.

8. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    For anyone who plays this first time, i recommend after you play a bit and get your bearings, to start over again, with a class unlock and secret character guide. Most secret characters arent superpowered, so its only for completion's sake.

having the class unlocking guide though, and a basic idea of what you want your characters to be, is ESSENTIAL and will save you a lot of frustration.

9. KBPrinceO

KBPrinceO Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Relevant username

Also, solid advice. Now, if only there were some sort of Game Shark that I could use for the iOS version.

10. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    I chose this username when fft came to the ntsc playstation those years ago, after putting hours and hours in what would become my favorite to this day srpg.

That said, there were people even crazier than me back then, who even calculated the success% of the teleport based on a complex mathematical formula...

I will start playing it soon on my ipad again, and the advice is so that many people can enjoy this! The first steps are really frustrating if you dont grasp the mechanics, but once you do, with a new game and the classes you want unlocked as soon as possible, it becomes really enjoyable.

11. Riotgirl

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    #971 Riotgirl, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    @Zero144 posted a link to the Job Tree that maps Jobs and Job Levels required in order to unlock specific Jobs.

Aside from this Job Tree, tips in this thread, and the tutorial, I'm refraining from using any player guides. Lost a Squire in the 2nd battle, then lost another Squire in the 3rd battle! A learning curve from traditional RPG play primarily because in RPGs there is a strict sequence of actions; in FFT, the sequence of Move and Act can be performed in any order e.g. Act, Move, or Move, Act, etc. That's without throwing in Wait orders.

I also learned that enemies will frequently ignore characters, if a more strategic (and vulnerable) target e.g. lowly Chemist, presents themselves.

The spatial element is a factor whose consideration is paramount - especially when healing is limited to either Chants (radius 1) or Potions (can be blocked by terrain, monsters, other characters in the way). Thus, you need to plan how you will co-ordinate movement, offence and defence.

Then there are Jobs and Abilities. If you've read - and paid attention - the tutorial, Abilities need to be learned before they can be used; and can be used from Job to Job. Hence, not simply a question of Job Levelling, change Job. You need to consider what Abilities are required from the current Job, save up Job Points, learn them, then assign them before changing Jobs.

Greatly enjoying the change in thinking, as well as the story-line - nods to the Middle Ages, especially War of the Roses (also greatly influenced Game of Thrones) - and all of the updates that SE (finally) provided. You can safely ignore the majority of complaints that plagued the initial release of FFT - which made me hold-off buying until SE fixed the complaints.

Update: received 'Game Over' achievement in Dorter Slums. Now focusing on levelling party, upgrading equipment (wasn't immediately obvious in Outfitters), and spending time on planning Job paths for characters and upgrading Abilities. I have been making sure that all of my Squires can use Potion and Phoenix Downs. One of my Chemists has finally learned 'Cura' (White Mage); and I have just realised that I have not been using my existing (Squire) Abilities to their fullest potential i.e. forgetting to use 'Focus' before my characters get into combat range.

These early stages are all a steep learning curve, and it pays to be observant and understand strength and weaknesses of enemies. I spent an age on a battle on Mandalia Plains because I focused on the wrong monster. Also, lost another low-level Squire. 3 casualties so far. Am down to 2 Squires and 2 Chemists (Rika excluded - renamed Ramza, didn't realise that Ramza was male but didn't wish to re-start. Name stuck now - no wish to rename).

Party composition now: x1 Knight, x1 Archer, x1 Squire (to be a Knight), x1 White Mage, and x1 Chemist (to be a Black Mage).

12. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Ah, Aerostar (and others). The Battle Mechanics Guide is still up on GameFAQs, and is a fantastic way to delve into the formulas behind the game if you're so inclined. The level of detail is so insane that if you're up for the math, you could run battles from start to finish on pencil and paper.

I may or may not have spent way too much time on this game back in the day. I should try it again now that I have an iPad...

13. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Haha, yeap, back then GameFAQS was my homepage :)

14. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I've owned this game for a long long time now but never played it because it just simply takes too long to do anything. Not only that it's pretty difficult especially when you can't really power level yourself early on (I was very very early in the game, like only 2 missions in). If anybody has pointers or tips to make it less painful I'm all ears.

15. Riotgirl

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    #975 Riotgirl, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    Aside from obvious tips such as (a) go through tutorials, (b) play, then (c) re-go through those sections that you didn't fully understand first time, the ones that have been most beneficial to me during the 5 and a half hours I've played as a new player to FFT and the genre:

1. Review Job Trees - map out where you would like your characters to be
    2. Choose and assign early Abilities e.g. JP Boost
    3. JP Boost needs to be assigned (yes, I did forget to assign the Ability for my characters =/)
    4. When Squires hit JP level 2 and you have JP Boost assigned to your characters, switch to Knight
    5. Equip your Knights
    6. Grind in Mandalia Plains and Sieged Wood

The precise party complement is your choice. I've gone for x2 Knights, x1 Archer (am struggling to get the best use from my Archer), x1 Squire (will be Knight), and x1 White Mage (also knows Black Mage spells).

Some of your party may die; don't sweat it if they are lowly new recruits and/or lowly existing characters. Providing that your other characters gain JP and Gill, you'll be able to improve and baby-sit any new lowly recruits.

Dorter Slums is hard (4th fight), and demonstrated that I was nowhere near ready to tackle the fight. I still require a couple more fights (Mandalia Plains / Sieged Weald) to obtain JP Boost for my White Mage, then change my Squire into a Knight, before I attempt to tackle it again.

Each time I've played, I've learned something else that has improved my comprehension and assisted the development of my party.

16. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Thanks for the response. What's a good way to power level lowbies? For example if you have a level 99 and want to power level a level 1, how would you do it? I believe whoever gets the killing blow gets the most exp, which would be a bit tough.

17. Riotgirl

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    I am about to go on that particular journey of discovery - albeit at a lower median level than 99!

Cleared Dorter Slums on my 2nd attempt after changing my party composition, upgrading equipment, and grinding to obtain JPs for new Abilities. Whilst random battles scale up, story-line battles do not. En-route to Eagrose Castle, I was waylaid in Mandalia Plains - and didn't protect my White Mage well enough, who promptly took a dirt-nap.

I also had forgotten a basic rule: to use an Ability, a character must learn it first. One of my characters used the Item Ability to fumble around for a Phoenix Down to revive my White Mage. Except I had absent-mindedly forgotten to learn the Ability. Result: my White Mage perished to a goddam Choco Bird! I viewed it as a learning experience and overwrote my saved progress to force myself to hire a new recruit and begin the painful process of training her up to become a White Mage.

Party composition is: x3 Knights, x1 Archer and a lowly Chemist. Current thinking is for Ramza (Rika) to go Monk after the next story battle, and level my Chemist into a White Mage. Need to think about the path for my Archer - and the optimum time to make the job switch.

18. Riotgirl

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Bad form replying when I was the last poster.

I completed Chapter 1 late last night - approx 13 hours in! Due to my first play-through, I've been proceeding at a glacial pace re: reading the tutorial, changing party composition, upgrading equipment, training abilities, grinding (early stages) in Mandalia Plains and Sieged Wield, and being thoroughly engrossed in the tactical challenges and the story. The cinematic cut-scenes are a joy to behold.

I probably grinded a little too much in the early stages because after the second attempt in Dorter Slums, the story-line battles were not as bad as I was expecting. That said, because this is my first play-through, I needed lots of experience in determining party composition, planning character development and employed tactics.

The story, narrative development, characters and themes are beautifully woven into the gaming fabric. Throughly engrossing.

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Hit your own high level characters... Multiple times each turn if able ;)

Of course you need to clear the area of all enemies except 1. You can do this is the earliest areas so that enemies arent threatening at all. Your characters will level up really fast hitting your own higher levelled guys. You can also use heals and buffs to have your high level character earn xp.

20. Sildani

Sildani Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2013
    High school social studies teacher
    NOVA
    Be careful when grinding in the early chapters of the game. Story battles don't "scale" with your characters' level, but random battles DO, and you could find yourself fighting monsters that hopelessly outmatch you because the higher-level equipment (armor especially) isn't available to you.

There's an amazing walkthrough for the PSP version available on GameFAQs, written by QMarsh, which is well worth your time.