iPhone Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 22, 2012.

1. fighthefoo

fighthefoo Member

Nov 12, 2012
    #101 fighthefoo, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    Er? I must have missed this, but I didn't see that in the app description...? That sucks :/ So what devices actually did get the hi-red graphics update?

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    The iPad 3 and 4 - the iPhone 4, 4S and 5 as well as the iPod Touch 4G and 5G all have retina display.

3. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Erm, why would that be mentioned in the app description? You do realise that the iPad 2 doesn't physically have a Retina (high-res) display, therefore no game on an iPad 2 has Retina graphics, not just FFT?

4. fighthefoo

fighthefoo Member

Nov 12, 2012
    #104 fighthefoo, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    Yeah, I understand that it doesn't actually have retina capabilities, but there are other updates to the FFT UI in game that are very clearly crisper. It's confusing.

EDIT:
    (And, apologies, I should have made it clear that I was referring to the hi-res graphics update, not the actual retina capabilities of the iPad.)

5. jamessh1

jamessh1 Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Can someone confirm that IPAD 2 graphics remain completely unchanged ( no hi Rez textures added)?

6. fighthefoo

fighthefoo Member

Nov 12, 2012
    I can confirm; iPad 2 has no hi-res graphics or updated animations.

7. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Very close to buying this and that would have swayed me, oh well..

8. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    But, there are low res non-retina ipad games and high-res ones. There isn't a fixed, single resolution.

Sidenote:I hate the term retina. Is it a specific resolution, or a term like HD which changes according to technology (and marketing)? 720P was HD until 1020P became "TrueHD", and now most people don't consider 720P to be HD anymore.

Damn marketers.

9. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Saueenix did iCloud? Necer thought I would see the day.

10. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Retina is a higher PPI, think print and DPI.

11. jamessh1

jamessh1 Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Same here. Going to pass

12. Outrager

Outrager Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Is it worth getting this version for an iPad mini or would it be fine just getting the iPhone version to play on my iPad mini?
    I would also save some money.

13. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    So, is there any reason to update on IPad2? I notice, some people on iTunes are complaining about crashes, so I am wary...

14. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Based on the past couple of pages, it seems some people are confused about what the new update was meant to do. It wasn't introduced to bring the graphics to "Retina quality" (on any device), and the app description is careful to avoid any mention of such for that exact reason. The single biggest addition was the significant overhaul of the character artwork, which does affect every device, old and new; the improvement to the usability of the UI was the other core update.

From a quick scan of iTunes reviews in the main stores, I have yet to see any complaints about crashes in the updated iPad version, and the crashes that did occur in the old version have been dealt with. So yes, there are a number of reasons to update, and no reason not to.

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Bought the HD version and man do i love this game more than ever.

16. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    I told you the updates are MAGICAL!!!Been playing the heck out of this..

For those of you who are on the fence LISTEN TO APPLETINI...

I've had this game on my ps1,psp or have played/tried every iteration of this title everywhere(even on emulation)..This version is the most definitive and best version of the game in my opinion not just by the way it looks but by the way it PLAYS..You can swipe the screen on battle mode to view perfectly what's going on...No other version has ever had that function since you just select tiles and turn the angles previously..

There is a big reason why this game is soaring the charts both on the top paid and most importantly the top grossing section of the AppStore..You can even see that the ratings has significant increased..

17. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Quick question: can the save games in the iPhone version transfer over to the iPad version? I turned on iCloud for the documents on my two devices and nothing seems to be happening so far.

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    The iPhone version's iCloud sync isn't working and a patch is being worked on. Once that is fixed the save data will sync between the two versions

19. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Seems to be syncing across from an iPhone 5 to an iPad mini for me, not ran into any issues. This thing screams on the mini. Used to play it on an iPhone 4 and iPad 2 and the difference in speed and performance is night and day. Yeah there's no retina on the Mini but it still looks awesome.

20. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    It's soaring because a) it's on sale; and b)it can be redeemed from FreeAppSlots.