Final Fantasy VI coming this winter

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by iANiMeX, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cg2005

Cg2005 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    DC
    #101 Cg2005, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
  2. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    I'm glad they kept the game in 2D, but I wish they would have given it the same quality that FF4 got on the PSP.

In the Kotaku article, Figaro's overworld sprite is pretty bad :/

3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Yeah.. I have to say those character sprites are horrendous. And maybe the color pallete is a little too bright or "fun" colored. The original looks more dark and serious. Seems like the atmosphere is changed. I'll go read what Kotaku thinks but this isn't looking good.. Esp at 500mb making it effectively bigger than the other 3D versions if I reemember correctly. wtf.

4. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
  5. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    i don't know what people's problems are, i think it looks 10x better than the original version. to each their own.

6. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    #106 vii-Lucky, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    Maybe this is a soft launch but on google play!?

That graphics :(

Is it $20?

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #107 undeadcow, Jan 16, 2014
    I was wondering how Sabin's blitz tactic would work on touch devices (it required quick button taps in increasingly longer more complicated sequences) but it doesn't look too bad.

They could release Final Fantasy VI featuring stick figures in greyscale and it'd still be totally worth $20 [although it is blasphemy to alter the art from it's glourious SNES standard, which would have been deliciously "retro"].

8. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I, too, wish we could have had the SNES graphics. Or at least the GBA graphics. That one didn't look too bad.

9. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Looks absolutely fine to me.

I don't know what people are complaining about. If you just wanted to play the SNES rom all your mobile devices can run that through an emulator already, there's no need to sit here with $20 waiting for an iOS port.

I've been patiently waiting with my money for this specific version of the game, because I want to play through it again with the tweaked visuals and features.

10. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I agree the current art design looks fair enough, just saying the original appearance has some nostalgia.

11. vii-Lucky

Jul 28, 2013
    it's not that graphics looks bad.

It feels like they rushed this port

12. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Could you elaborate? I'm not seeing or hearing about any missing features, content, etc... is something missing?

13. vii-Lucky

Jul 28, 2013
    I think they can enhance the graphics further.

14. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Looks awesome, so much clearer pixels, amazing character art, you can actually see all the details in cutscenes, towns and on world map now, some inventive touch control use and so many smaller tweaks to make game more interactive and "modern".You can maybe call FF V port lazy , but no way this one, it's two leagues ahead of it.

15. mkdms14

mkdms14 Active Member

Feb 14, 2013
    I just want them to release it already. My guess is it will probably be out this Thurday. Granted it is only a guess could be sooner or latter. I think it is still stuck in Apple's review process which Google play clearly does not have.

16. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

17. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Nice video; this is going to "totally rule". I'm more excited now than before.

18. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    The graphics look fine to me, nice and colorful. I think its a case of hating difference because its different. Its not exactly how your 12yr old self remembers it so it must be crap. The port is fine, the music is still there thank god and its still among the best...and arguably, THE best rpg EVER.

On the other hand, just imagine if they hired an artist with a darker, more mature style to animate the game. The hype and excitement would go through the roof. As it stands now, theres a lot of backlash from purists out there and I just dont want that to possibly cost younger gamers who havent played this to shy away from such a classic.

19. Mullet_Mcgee

Mullet_Mcgee Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Puppy
    Sand Zone
    #119 Mullet_Mcgee, Jan 16, 2014
    Wow... the amount of butthurt on Destructoid and Kotaku, made me think this FFVI remake would be some kind of sacrilegious crime against all of humanity. I'll admit the character sprites DO look suspect, and "Esper" shouldn't have been mispelled, but everything else looks perfectly fine.

This'll easily beat the crappy PS1 port I have, that I never had the patience to finish.

20. florhackson

florhackson Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Yeah Kotaku had so much butthurt on their site over that post I'm surprised they didn't need some sort of gel.

I posted in favor of it on one of the threads, and people thought I was supporting terrorism.