Folt (by Nonverbal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Monospace

Monospace Member

Jan 22, 2009
    I've been thinking about doing a sequel/spiritual successor a lot lately, but an universal update is also a possibility. Depends a bit on how FOLT does.

2. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Great Game. I sincerly hope that the Game will generate enough income when it will launch later this year so David will be able to keep doing what he does.

3. Monospace

Monospace Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Just a quick update on things:

Version 1.0.3 has just gone live in NZ & AUS adding
    - An unlockable Endless mode
    - 20 more levels
    - Many other tweaks

Also added localization (German & French) in an earlier update.

More details on World launch to follow soon hopefully!

Thanks for playing!
    Dan

4. mguniverse

mguniverse Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Any word on a worldwide launch? I all but forgot about this game and had to go digging through TouchArcade to find it, because I couldn't remember what it was called. I've never been a fan of soft launches for this reason and a lot of the early buzz you got when you initially soft launched might have faded. Lucky for you, I am a stubborn bastard and wanted to find it again.

5. Monospace

Monospace Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Just announced world launch! It'll be next Thursday, May 29.

http://www.nonverbal.ch/folt/

Thanks for being a stubborn bastard! Hope you will like the game!

6. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Yay!! From another stubborn person!!!

7. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Just found it in the App Store! Downloaded it and am gonna play!! :)))

8. talf

talf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 2, 2012
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Montreal
    This game deserve more attention! Congrats to the dev!

9. Monospace

Monospace Member

Jan 22, 2009
    The game should now be available pretty much everywhere.

Here's the new website, explaining the basic mechanics with some fancy gifs!

http://www.nonverbal.ch/folt

10. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #30 JCho133, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    Just downloaded this. It's featured in the US.

And WOW am I impressed! Easily my game of the week now.

The IAP system is very respectable and well done as well, I'm looking forward to playing the endless mode

I really dig the minimalist design, in the visuals and in the gameplay. This blows that "Two dots" game out of the water.

Can't wait to spend hours on this, thanks for making it! ;)

11. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Agreed. Solid mechanics and nice, clean artstyle. A steal, almost literally.

12. Geertyy

Geertyy Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2013
    Been waiting for this one for quite some time, but I'm happy that it's finally here. I downloaded it together with two dots, but like JCho said, this game blows that game away. I already got the endless mode and I'm eager to see how far I can get.

13. tuber

tuber Active Member

Jun 1, 2014
    I downloaded and play yesterday and love minimalist disign and it fun to play.
    Maybe tomorrow i buy endless mode ;)

14. Monospace

Monospace Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Glad to hear you like the game!

In amazing first week, the game has been downloaded more than 500k times already!

Thanks for the support!

15. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I also dloaded. I saw that there's an Iap to get two extra lives increasing to six, but you actually start with five lives, so would this Iap increase the lives to 7.

16. Monospace

Monospace Member

Jan 22, 2009
    It does indeed add 2 lives, increasing it up to 7. Did you see a 6 somewhere? If so, that's a bug and needs to be fixed!

17. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Are everyone's levels the same? Because I'm pretty sure my friend has a level that I haven't played yet, and I'm farther than him

18. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I saw a 6 on the store page. I'll try post a screenshot.

Attached Files:

19. Monospace

Monospace Member

Jan 22, 2009
    That's indeed a bug! Thanks!

20. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Just so everyone knows, there is a literal paywall between level 42 and 43. You have to buy Endless Mode for $.99 to continue past that point.

Dev, if you're here, let me tell you why I deleted the app once I got to that point.

The description says the game is completely free to play:

"Flip tiles and match colors to move your way through more than 125 challenging levels in this beautiful, minimalist puzzle game.
    Folt is completely free to play, but some in-game items require payment."

There was no indication before that point that I would need to pay to unlock the rest of the game. It wasn't even at the end of a color set. It was just a random spot in between two levels. I thought maybe it was like an in game ad at first, but it is literally a pay wall.

I have no issue with spending $1 to unlock a quality game. I think this is a quality game. What I have an issue with is the way it was done. Your description says that the in-game items require payment, not additional levels. The Endless Mode unlock screen says nothing about unlocking additional levels. Nothing anywhere says there will be a point where you have to get Endless Mode to unlock additional levels. It took me a while to find a review posted where someone else got the same point I just had.

The worst thing was that I was already on the fence about buying Endless Mode. I was leaning towards it. But the way the paywall worked sort of grossed me out. At least with Dots 2 and Bubble Witch Saga 2 (which I am am also playing right now), I know everything up front.

I'm not saying the game is bad. I'm not saying you shouldn't have a pay wall in the middle of your levels. I'm saying you need to make that explicitly clear in the description or in the game.