Forgotten Memories - A psychological survival horror

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kugi_igi, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tatoforever

tatoforever Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Lead/Game Programmer
    Montréal
    #1061 tatoforever, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    Hey guys,
    I've updated the first page of this thread with new info about the game, story, etc. Here is a copy paste:

[Synopsis]
    The long corridors of the hospital were inlaid by a dark heaviness. An inhuman laugh shook the walls, creating a grim echo. Breathless, a woman desperately ran, trying to escape from the creature who took pleasure of her fears. Her feet silently pounded on the blood soiled ground. A white angel, armed with a large dagger, appeared before her. Panicked, the patient abruptly reversed her cadence, sliding on the moist ceramic. She furiously shoved open the doors that blocked her run and brusquely stopped, trapped. Her terrified gaze scanned the room, hardly overlapping the darkness. The insistent sneaking of her pursuers approached. She rushed at the dirty fireplace and grabbed a wrought iron rod. The damned angel pushed the door with a menacing delicacy. The bare feet stopped in the middle of the dark chamber. Scarlet drops crashed on the hideous rug. The fingers of the prey were tensed on her weapon, her nails slewing onto the hard surface. The wicked presence grunted as her body became something monstrous. The woman held her breath in fear and fiercely hurtled toward the abomination. A painful scream arose into the night, forthwith coldly slaughtered, leaving a last sigh of memory...

Welcome to the Psychiatric Walker Hospital

[The Game]
    Forgotten Memories relates the horrific and irrational plot of a missing girl through the eyes of the inspector Rose Hawkins. The troublesome case leads her into the Walker psychiatric hospital, abandoned years ago for an obscure reason and where horrible creatures await. It is by resolving puzzles, clearing a path into the merciless enemies and by confronting her own weaknesses and fears that it will be possible to get forward into this morbid survival horror adventure.

[The Environments]
    Everything seems abandoned; dirty floors, stained walls and an old technology. Like if everyone has hastily left the establishment, forgetting their belongings. Something evil... inhuman is roaming into the dark corridors. Something it is better to avoid. You can manage to survive until you find out that the hospital itself is evil. That deadly traps are everywhere, that the darkness hides terrible secrets and that the color of the blood is the common chromatic pallet. You finally get out, only to face insurmountable gates trapping a gruesome yard where you can barely see due to the strong rain. It is when you turn around and meet with the most monstrous thing you ever seen.
    The player will visit the establishment and its yard; an old isolated hospital built in 1910 and closed in 1979. The world hides countless of mysteries and puzzles that will force the player to backtrack often, searching for clues. Doors become barriers, overdrawn corridors unsafe and typical objects significant.

[iPad2 gameplay video:]

Note: This is not the final game but a quick gameplay demo to showcase game core mechanics, neither the cameras, interfaces, progress and storyline in this demo are final. There's some missing features in this early beta for a number of reasons: not yet finished, buggy, need polish. Interfaces for the puzzle/riddle and menu systems are still being worked on. Also, some animations/states are a bit buggy/sluggy. We are improving those systems for our next milestone, the first beta of FM!
    Our goal is to release Forgotten Memories beta this summer/autumn and the final version before this Christmas (2011). Rest assured, this is just an alpha build of what's coming! :)

[Older images and videos:]
    http://psychozinteractive.com/tempfiles/

Enjoy! :)

2. Whiteplayer3d

Whiteplayer3d Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Czech Republic
    I know for now: most amazing game , definitely best for iPhone :)

3. Some of the worst writing I've seen in a long time. You need to have someone who speaks English as a FIRST language re-write that entire thing. Way too many adjectives and adverbs randomly grabbed out of a thesaurus and stuffed in there resulting in many sentences that do not make any sense whatsoever. "The insistent sneaking"? WTF does that even mean? I must say though, "menacing delicacy" made me chuckle it's so bad.
    "abruptly reversed her cadence"? What, was she marching along doing a jody call?
    "forthwith coldly slaughtered" - can't....stop....laughing. Looks like someone is just trying to overcompensate their lack of any grasp of the English language with Google translate.
    I've seen hastily-ported Korean RPGs with a better command of the English language.
    Seriously, for the love of all that is holy, please do not write anything like that again.
    I printed it out just to throw it in a fire - it's that bad. Get some help on that.

4. scott99

scott99 Active Member

Jan 22, 2011
    This looks exactly like the old Resident Evil games, which I love, but was hoping this game would be more original. It's not. Looks good though, Resident Evil: Forgotten Memories.

5. lukeyyyyy

lukeyyyyy New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    There's ways of getting a point across, and then there's this.

Mature.

6. ipodrocks123

ipodrocks123 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Will this work on iPod touch 4g??

7. wertyuio

wertyuio Active Member

Mar 20, 2011
    come on. it's not that bad! i mean, some of it doesn't really make sense, but most of it is pretty good.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Yes, it will.

As to the writing, 1nonya1 may be a douchebag, but he does have a point. The art direction of the game is doing a good job conveying the right horror atmosphere; the language doesn't have to be florid or overly descriptive. As in the best horror fiction, simple declarative sentences will convey character and story much better than overwrought prose.

9. Silent Rocco

Silent Rocco Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2010
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Just saw the video. I'm pretty amazed! Will definitely buy it.

10. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Wait, so the whole game will be based in this hospital? There are no other areas that we will be able to visit, the whole game will take place in the hospital?

11. reverse channel

reverse channel Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    This looks AMAZING. The only suggestions I have are to get an editor to do a passthrough of all the text and dialogue, since the opening paragraph was good, but could use a little polish.

Also, the breast physics...a liiiiittle bit too much. =P Could use some toning down.

12. Starkiller

Starkiller Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    first of all this is just a beta and what makes you think you could do better. My god, why don't you just try to make a game with good qualities like this. If you're going to bitch about this game then dont comment on the forums

13. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Relax dev this is a forum after all.

14. Cmdr_Overscore

Cmdr_Overscore Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    #1074 Cmdr_Overscore, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
    wow thaat's a little bit fancy too

And I have to say it's cool how the game camera is like cctv or something

15. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    This thread is crawling with shills.

16. Cmdr_Overscore

Cmdr_Overscore Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    ahah soz thats what happens when mah alter ego uses this account...

anyway, what's wrong with the whole game being in the mental hospital? isn't that spooky, being trapped with psychos

17. Hey, that's #1 Douchebag to you. With a capital D.
    It's either survival horror or The Canterbury Tales. Pick one.
    So unless Geoffrey Chaucer is developing this game - which would be hard since he's been dead for over 600 years - ditch the flowery prose.

18. NaughtHere

NaughtHere Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    #1078 NaughtHere, Mar 28, 2011
    I very strongly suggest you find a professional author, or at least someone else to write the game's story. What you have posted here is absolutely terrible. Not only is it just bad writing with clunky flow and an overuse of adjectives, words are completely misused. It's as if the author didn't know the definitons of the words he was writing. The grammar is also wrong. Incorrect prepositions abound.

If you want reviewers to take your game seriously, and not just mock it, please find someone to rewrite the story.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Personal insults are not allowed in this forum. I clearly crossed the line, and for that I apologize.

That said, it's clear to me that you could have delivered the same point without all the mean editorializing (as you just have here). As I've learned from years of teaching in creative fields, there's never a need for crapping on other people's work.

BTW, Chaucer didn't really use flowery language; he just wrote in Middle English, which is unfamiliar to us now.

20. tatoforever

tatoforever Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Lead/Game Programmer
    Montréal
    #1080 tatoforever, Mar 28, 2011
    To all those guys commenting on the Synopsis/Intro demo texts:
    Those texts comes directly from our main designer, which isn't an English native (neither myself btw). Most of our team is composed of French Canadians.

Remember that this game isn't even in a beta state, grammar,spelling and other text errors are parts of localization bugs which are fixed in a later dev life cycle of the game, the Beta cycle iteration.

We'll have an external localization studio to work out those texts. Also, we decided to add a bit of poetry on those text (which makes things a bit complex to understand). So yeah, forgive us on that part, we'll make sure that the guys handling text and storyline will come out with something readable to all POV while keeping our creative ideas on mind.

Extra info about the game:
    Forgotten Memories isn't a Resident Evil like game (even if we have a similar camera/controls system). Monsters and environments are oriented towards Silent Hill. But even so, FM still completely different from SH/RE, gameplay-wise and storyline-wise. Our gameplay is based on psychological and pure horror fears. Like for example, our main character have some phobias which are part of the main gameplay mechanics and you must face not only rotten and morbid environments/monsters but also face your inner fears(or in this case, the main character worse fears) while playing! Every element and system in this game is build around psychological fears, from sounds, monsters, animations, environments, interactions to the gameplay itself. You'll have to wait to the beta to get a taste of the final gameplay mechanics. :)