forum idea: separate subforum for promo code threads?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by costanza, Jan 11, 2009.

?

Should Promo codes have their own forum section

1. YES- Allocate a new forum section

75.0%
  2. NO- Keep promo threads in the game section

25.0%
  1. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    There is a problem here people think we don't want promo code threads WE DO! we just want them in a different sub-forum. some people seem not to get that

50HellsofPain likes this.
  2. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    #62 rootbeersoup, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
    I'd like to propose a "Developer Promotions" forum for devs to make threads about promo codes, advertisements for their games (ONE thread per game obviously), and threads about upcoming games

EDIT: Also, each thread could be labeled as such with a prefix, like PROMO CODES: UPCOMING TITLE: etc

3. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Yes, they aren't a discussion of any app in particular. They're just a promotion of said app.

4. costanza

costanza Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    yeah, this is exactly what needs to happen.

5. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Sorry guys. Been busy with Macworld all week. Been a bit out of touch.

Agree with general sentiment. Promo code giveaways are hurting the usefulness of the main discussion forums.

I think intricate contests or forum member (non developer) giveaways are just adding noise, and not much signal. I went through and closed a bunch that seemed to be over anyway.

We'll reassess what rules to be put into place to fix it.

arn

6. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    and new mod's would not hurt. ;)
    welcome back buddy!

7. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    Well the reason these contests are posted in the games section is because you get more exposure there.

8. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Ok, so i voted that there SHOULD be a sub forum for these threads, just to reduce the clutter. But one thing that i think needs to be emphasized is that it is required that you pm the codes, as i know people have just posted them. Also, if a person wins a contest/ posts first in the thread they should be subject to a background check (going to their profile and looking at the quality of their posts) to assure they arent lurkers. I only suggest this because i know that some people just starting to post here may not have a lot of posts, but are genuinely interested in this site. I dont think that is too complicated a thing to do, unless of course its a huge giveaway, but that doesnt happen often.

9. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    Agreed. Please arn, let's see this happen.

10. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I don't think it really needs to be overcomplicated. Just simply a place for promo giveaways and anything focused on promos of any kind. Could be a good place to just advertise an app without fear of a banhammer and not necesarily requiring a promo giveaway. I dunno. Either way it definately needs it's own dedicated space.

Promos are dead, long live promos.

11. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    1) separate forum
    2) every post should be labeled PROMO CODES: TITLE.
    3) promo codes only send via pm or e-mail.
    4) only for senior members.

:)

12. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Personally I like the first two points I suggested in this post as it would have prevented all of the crap that went out yesterday from existing in the first place. I don't think a separate forum is the best idea, it's just too much work that can be solved by just cracking down on spam.

13. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I agree with the following idea:

If you get a code just PM a friend or go to Lounge board make fun out of it.

14. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
    voted yes :D

15. costanza

costanza Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Maybe we can have one stickied thread in the promo code section for regular members to hand out spare codes they may have gotten. Anything else gets locked.

16. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I dunno about all that. Promo codes are great. Overcomplicating things would not help it flourish. I think stuff like this is getting too picky. If the devs have to follow all sorts of super picky rules then they just won't do it. And that's not what we want.
    We need a dedicated space. That's all. It gives everone a place to go where everyone knows promos are the focus and it gives others a breather from all the promo threads. Giving it it's own space should help. Not hinder.

17. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    It's not that it would be overcomplicated, it's just that simply a promo code forum is wayyyyyy too simple and would becom a mess in a few days

18. field5

field5 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    well I see that you used my promo contest as an example to talk about "all the promo crap"...so if and when I ever do give more codes out...I wouldn't want to bother you with all of the "crap" as you put it so don't bother participating.

19. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Is it unfathomable to make a generalizing broadsweeping statement about promo code threads in general? I'm sorry if yours is of so much higher quality than all of the other promo code threads but please try to empathize with us, as we are all frustrated with it.

20. field5

field5 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Well in his "generalized broadsweeping statement"...he specifically linked my post...I understand the frustrations but I don't think it's right to throw it back in my face the way he did saying it was crap...after all I do is share my codes with u guys...would u give a code to someone who did that after u try to be generous?!?